BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Championship 2013/14

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was I'd be amazed. Bowyer is just the manager not the CEO or Chairman. He's obviously been tasked (by whom I do not know) with getting us promoted whilst at the same time getting rid of half the squad, replacing expensive old with cheaper new and cutting overall operating costs massively. From my perspective he's not doing a bad job and I struggle to think who could do it much better. After the crap of the past 3 years what we need most is stability. Whether Bowyer has time on his side I can't say and only the venkymob know the answer to that.

You're missing the point here. Whether we think Bowyer's job should have been on the line or not is immaterial. Apparently it was, according to people who have a good track record.

The suggestion I'm refuting is that the Raos have finally "learned something". We are always at risk from these erratic idiots but it appears some think we have stability at last.

As I predicted at the time to accusations from a number of frothy individuals of being racist / pessimistic / curmudgeonly etc etc. Funny how so many got sucked along with the billionaire Indians bullsh1t that was being peddled. Pretty damned obvious to anyone with an IQ above that of the average amoeba that BRFC being a perrenial loss making business and effectively the club is financially not viable and that is why it had taken the Trust years to offload.

Funny too how many were glad to see the back of then Walker Trust! I tend to concur with the old marital advice "Look after t'first, cos next'll be worst". Even more peculiar is that no one now appears to be willing to own up to being wrong back in 2010 isn't it? Almost unbelievable how thousands of supporters who stood to applaud to the rafters and and welcome the Rao brothers that day before the AV match (whilst I stayed and sulked in the concourse sipping a pint of very very bitter..to the point of being sour.. beer) were all so very wrong isn't it? No doubt there is some principle in psychology that covers the irrational spread of collective euphoria?

For my part I must admit to being mistaken back then too as the only thing that made any sense of the takeover from a business point of view was as a massive asset stripping operation. This could still happen of course but as a consequence of bad management, crooked advice, probable fraud and the chain of events that has occurred and not I now feel as an intended course of action from the off.

So now that much water has gone under the Aquaduct bridge how come the Rao's aren't allowed to have got it wrong too? As someone told me years ago... Everybody makes mistakes... it's why they put rubbers on pencils.

*btw Only one Rao has shoddy suits, shirt unbuttoned, gold chains etc... the other appears very different and seems mild mannered whilst displaying much humility. Same horse different jockey perhaps? :huh:

Blimey. What a brilliant read! You have gone from 30's Winston Churchill,via Victor Meldrew to Henry Fonda and all in one post!

I am only sorry I wasn't reading your posts on this site back in 2010. I admit my analysis was wrong because back then I was applying normal football loyalty to what was an abnormal ( abusive) situation. I had no idea of what was going on. I didn't join in the early protests etc. Wrong...I admit it.

I was uneasy about our new owners, as I couldn't see what could be in it for them.Dave Whelan's comments troubled me too. But I couldn't believe they would buy my club to run it into the ground. I even assumed that they were the sole owners. Now I am not so sure that was the case.

Maybe I am just mean spirited, but where you are testing my powers of forgiveness is to make allowances for the fact that the Slumdogs might have made genuine mistakes and are willing to learn from them etc

All my experience has taught me that people who arrogantly refuse to own their mistakes invariably do not learn..

• Backroom

You're missing the point here. Whether we think Bowyer's job should have been on the line or not is immaterial. Apparently it was, according to people who have a good track record.

The suggestion I'm refuting is that the Raos have finally "learned something". We are always at risk from these erratic idiots but it appears some think we have stability at last.

I struggle to see what you're getting at with this. I agree that we are always at risk from the idiots, but for about 9months I don't think they've put a foot wrong. Do they (and the club, by extension) not deserve at least cautious support?

I'm imagining it this way: If Venkys had sold up back in March and imaginary new owners (let's pretend it's the Rovers Trust) had done EXACTLY as they have done since, what would this mb's reaction be?

I suspect that (comparatively) they'd be saviours. Venkys' reputation from the first few years (imo) blinds some people from ever acknowledging the small positives that have occurred in recent times.

Then again, maybe they deserve such derision. Even if they somehow made us a European football force ala ManUtd for 26 years, I suspect some will still hate them.

• Backroom

Don't worry, that hypothesis will never be tested but you're right in one sense, personally I will never forgive them for their betrayal ever.

Rest secure if you want to, imo we are always close to the next disastrous decision

Betrayal suggests you trusted them in the first place ;)

For me, I'm only just beginning to trust them. Cautiously, mind.

When they made reassuring noises at the time of the takeover, like respecting the traditons and history of this great club and promised to keep the management structure in place while knowing they intended no such thing, then they betrayed us. Simple as that.

How anyone could ever trust them again is beyond me. By the way you are ignoring reports that Bowyer's job was on the line prior to the leeds game. That's how close we are to the next disaster. We won and it didn't happen but it was Kamy who was telling us this, not Nixon. Not easy to dismiss Kamy of rumour-mongering is it?

Your confidence is misplaced. Irrespective of where we are in the League, when Venkys leave a foul stench will be removed from Ewood, and I would trade that in a heartbeat for futile hopes of success with this lot WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

• Backroom

When they made reassuring noises at the time of the takeover, like respecting the traditons and history of this great club and promised to keep the management structure in place while knowing they intended no such thing, then they betrayed us. Simple as that.

How anyone could ever trust them again is beyond me. By the way you are ignoring reports that Bowyer's job was on the line prior to the leeds game. That's how close we are to the next disaster. We won and it didn't happen but it was Kamy who was telling us this, not Nixon. Not easy to dismiss Kamy of rumour-mongering is it?

Your confidence is misplaced. Irrespective of where we are in the League, when Venkys leave a foul stench will be removed from Ewood, and I would trade that in a heartbeat for futile hopes of success with this lot WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

I too generally trust Kamy's info, BUT for me he's good at breaking news before others do. This report about Leeds was one of the few bits of info from him not picked up and confirmed by other sources. Regardless how good a single source is, I never trust one on its own (Sorry Kamy).

Key bit in your post: 'trust them again'. This is me beginning to trust them based on a first season where they've done nothing crazy. It went from consistent batshit to consistently steady/sensible. To me, that suggests a change and I'd prefer to support that apparent change than just blindly hate a group of very naive people.

I'm not saying that anyone should like them ever again. But you don't have to like someone to admit they've done ok for once.

If it was I'd be amazed. Bowyer is just the manager not the CEO or Chairman. He's obviously been tasked (by whom I do not know) with getting us promoted whilst at the same time getting rid of half the squad, replacing expensive old with cheaper new and cutting overall operating costs massively. From my perspective he's not doing a bad job and I struggle to think who could do it much better. After the crap of the past 3 years what we need most is stability. Whether Bowyer has time on his side I can't say and only the venkymob know the answer to that.

Didn't Kamy tell us he was? But even if he wasn't, how else do you explain the schizophrenic tactics in the Leeds game compared to his wind-resistant caution in most other games this season?

I'm not convinced Bowyer has the qualities to get us promoted - even next season. He seems star-struck by the reputations of other teams, and rarely makes changes to engineer a game in our favour. Bowyer's skills seem to be in avoiding relegation. Shame he didn't succeed Allardyce instead of Kean...

Didn't Kamy tell us he was? But even if he wasn't, how else do you explain the schizophrenic tactics in the Leeds game compared to his wind-resistant caution in most other games this season?

I'm not convinced Bowyer has the qualities to get us promoted - even next season. He seems star-struck by the reputations of other teams, and rarely makes changes to engineer a game in our favour. Bowyer's skills seem to be in avoiding relegation. Shame he didn't succeed Allardyce instead of Kean...

Shame they sacked Allardyce more like.

As for Kamy, just like most in the press he's got a few things wrong in the past hasn't he? I might be wrong but I'd imagine reporting from the venkymob is destined to failure as it seems to me to depend which one you are talking to. They are truly a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

Spot on. They've shown that they cannot be trusted. Even if they have not been as bad, we've seen what they are capable of, and that should make everyone very cautious.

I struggle to see what you're getting at with this. I agree that we are always at risk from the idiots, but for about 9months I don't think they've put a foot wrong. Do they (and the club, by extension) not deserve at least cautious support?

I'm imagining it this way: If Venkys had sold up back in March and imaginary new owners (let's pretend it's the Rovers Trust) had done EXACTLY as they have done since, what would this mb's reaction be?

I suspect that (comparatively) they'd be saviours. Venkys' reputation from the first few years (imo) blinds some people from ever acknowledging the small positives that have occurred in recent times.

Then again, maybe they deserve such derision. Even if they somehow made us a European football force ala ManUtd for 26 years, I suspect some will still hate them.

Not put a foot wrong?!?!? Not sure about that. Let's see:

NO apology for the disaster they have brought upon us. Generally an apology is the least expected in any culture when someone is wronged.

Appointed Bowyer as manager as it was simple. Not trying to turn this into a Bowyer debate, but they didn't search for the best man, didn't see if there was anyone experienced who could do the job, they just handed it to the easiest choice available. Not putting a foot wrong would have meant at least having an extensive search for the right manager with the right credentials.

No board in place, still stuck with Shelfy only. If the top management isn't right the whole club will suffer - and this hasn't been rectified.

(This one is subjective) Not going all out for promotion this season. Criminal, especially if we're promotion or bust - which is most likely. IF it is promotion or bust, then this goes from being subjective to arguably their biggest crime yet.

All in all I'd say they're doing a far from excellent job - less noisy, less controversial, perhaps. But they're still happily steering us towards the iceberg.

Spot on. They've shown that they cannot be trusted. Even if they have not been as bad, we've seen what they are capable of, and that should make everyone very cautious.

Not put a foot wrong?!?!? Not sure about that. Let's see:

NO apology for the disaster they have brought upon us. Generally an apology is the least expected in any culture when someone is wronged.

Appointed Bowyer as manager as it was simple. Not trying to turn this into a Bowyer debate, but they didn't search for the best man, didn't see if there was anyone experienced who could do the job, they just handed it to the easiest choice available. Not putting a foot wrong would have meant at least having an extensive search for the right manager with the right credentials.

No board in place, still stuck with Shelfy only. If the top management isn't right the whole club will suffer - and this hasn't been rectified.

(This one is subjective) Not going all out for promotion this season. Criminal, especially if we're promotion or bust - which is most likely. IF it is promotion or bust, then this goes from being subjective to arguably their biggest crime yet.

All in all I'd say they're doing a far from excellent job - less noisy, less controversial, perhaps. But they're still happily steering us towards the iceberg.

And some people on the message board are playing "Abide with me"...(only a joke)

A big few games coming up over the next few weeks that will impact on the top 6. Derby and QPR look to have decent games this weekend and beyond - us, Forest and you have a tricky looking run of fixtures, and Reading & Brighton's looks tough. Either way some teams in and around the top 6 are dropping points over the next 3/4 games simply because there are a lot of games between them.

I think we will be 5th by the time we play you - and I think we will be desperate for the 3 points. Not sure it will make for great football but might just be the most exciting Derby for a few years.

• Backroom

I genuinely think you will win the next 3 games and open up a nice gap for yourself in second

Forest are hit and miss and you will be top strong for Derby at home

A big few games coming up over the next few weeks that will impact on the top 6. Derby and QPR look to have decent games this weekend and beyond - us, Forest and you have a tricky looking run of fixtures, and Reading & Brighton's looks tough. Either way some teams in and around the top 6 are dropping points over the next 3/4 games simply because there are a lot of games between them.

I think we will be 5th by the time we play you - and I think we will be desperate for the 3 points. Not sure it will make for great football but might just be the most exciting Derby for a few years.

Crikey Longsiders, I thought I was a pessimist!

Burnley's first 11 is as good as any in the division from what I've seen. Perhaps not for individual quality, but for hard work, organisation (particularly defensively), togetherness and what appears to be an insatiable appetite to win. Couple that with the best striker in the division and it's no surprise you're knocking on the door.

Derby and Forest won't beat you IMO. I can see you beating Derby and taking at least a point against Forest.

As for Ewood...... the nerves have begun :unsure:

I've told you all before, I'm a pragmatist, not a pessimist ^_^

Forest and Derby are 2 very good teams with considerably more resource than we have. We are decent at home so have a good chance of at least one win but we shall see. As for Ewood - after this length of time how can any Burnley fan go into a game against you lot with anything other than trepidation. Even in the last couple of years when there hasn't been quite the same resource difference and consequent quality gulf we haven't been able to get over the line for that elusive win. I expect a draw.

I've told you all before, I'm a pragmatist, not a pessimist ^_^

Forest and Derby are 2 very good teams with considerably more resource than we have. We are decent at home so have a good chance of at least one win but we shall see. As for Ewood - after this length of time how can any Burnley fan go into a game against you lot with anything other than trepidation. Even in the last couple of years when there hasn't been quite the same resource difference and consequent quality gulf we haven't been able to get over the line for that elusive win. I expect a draw.

To be honest Longsiders, logically this should be your chance.

But

As nothing regarding Rovers is logical these days, I think we'll win comfortably. So you've every right to be worried, very worried!

There's not much to separate Burnley, Forest and Derby. I think Burnley may just beat Forest due to Forest having had a tough game on Wednesday, if Burnley don't win it will probably be a draw with Forest grinding it out like Brighton did there and I think Derby will beat Burnley as I think McLaren's experience will be key in such a big game.

And I don't think we will beat Burnley a draw is probably the best we can hope for but I fear the worst.

I too generally trust Kamy's info, BUT for me he's good at breaking news before others do. This report about Leeds was one of the few bits of info from him not picked up and confirmed by other sources. Regardless how good a single source is, I never trust one on its own (Sorry Kamy).

Key bit in your post: 'trust them again'. This is me beginning to trust them based on a first season where they've done nothing crazy. It went from consistent batshit to consistently steady/sensible. To me, that suggests a change and I'd prefer to support that apparent change than just blindly hate a group of very naive people.

I'm not saying that anyone should like them ever again. But you don't have to like someone to admit they've done ok for once.

By coincidence when seeing then Currie Makes New Bid Thread i searched back and came across the Ian Battersby article in the LT around October time. He made a point about the club standing still but making £30 million losses and saying that is NOT an achievement. Since then it stuck with me that he is so right-stability whilst losing money hand over fist is a contradiction.

it isnt actual stability we are watching , its just a clueless nobody knows what to do with this mess kind of paralysis.The two are completely different

By coincidence when seeing then Currie Makes New Bid Thread i searched back and came across the Ian Battersby article in the LT around October time. He made a point about the club standing still but making £30 million losses and saying that is NOT an achievement. Since then it stuck with me that he is so right-stability whilst losing money hand over fist is a contradiction.

it isnt actual stability we are watching , its just a clueless nobody knows what to do with this mess kind of paralysis.The two are completely different

Sadly I suspect you're not too far off the mark.

I genuinely think you will win the next 3 games and open up a nice gap for yourself in second

Forest are hit and miss and you will be top strong for Derby at home

If they were going to slip up they'd have done it by now. I'd have thought Leicester and QPR would have walked this division after Christmas but now I'd put money on the unmentionables to go up if I could even stomach the thought of putting a bet in their favour.

• Backroom

No stopping the Dingle Express now

They've done it at the right time with the money on offer we are likely in for a long spell under them like they had to endure for so long

Boooooo

Archived