BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

25 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Nobody is saying it does, but he’s dragged a few names into the mix that on the face of it seem less guilty of racism than he is. He must have known about these historic Tweets in much the same way as he thinks Joe Root must have heard racist language: it also says something about the climate that existed back then, which it now appears he was a part of. 
Do you not think his credibility has been damaged a bit here? 

Whether his credibility has been damaged or not is down to the individual listening to his side of the story. His apology seems genuine on the face of it, so I won’t hold that against him now. I don’t know what Joe Root has said either so can’t judge that one. However, his version of the things that were said to him seem very plausible in my opinion. 

Just now, den said:

Whether his credibility has been damaged or not is down to the individual listening to his side of the story. His apology seems genuine on the face of it, so I won’t hold that against him now. I don’t know what Joe Root has said either so can’t judge that one. However, his version of the things that were said to him seem very plausible in my opinion. 

I suspect that were it a Tory MP that had lambasted people for various things and then shown to have behaved equally poorly you might not be as charitable. In fact the word ‘hypocrite’ might have been included in your response.
And just to reiterate I’m not condoning anything that happened to the lad. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I suspect that were it a Tory MP that had lambasted people for various things and then shown to have behaved equally poorly you might not be as charitable. In fact the word ‘hypocrite’ might have been included in your response.

Hypocrite would have been included if I thought that Tory still had those views.

He only apologised when confronted with his tweets. If he didn’t remember them may I respectfully suggest (to him) that he bloody well ought to have done, given the circumstances. 
By the way Ballance should be dragged to the Commons and asked some very specific questions, as should Vaughn and Hales. 

Edit: His vicious tweet about John Abrahams might also explain why Bumble wasn’t too enamoured with the lad. 

Edited by oldjamfan1

11 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He only apologised when confronted with his tweets. If he didn’t remember them may I respectfully suggest (to him) that he bloody well ought to have done, given the circumstances. 
By the way Ballance should be dragged to the Commons and asked some very specific questions, as should Vaughn and Hales. 

Edit: His vicious tweet about John Abrahams might also explain why Bumble wasn’t too enamoured with the lad. 

Didn’t see the Abrahams tweet

25 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

They've been asked to appear before the Commons committee but refused I believe

Edited by jim mk2

Not very nice!  Doubt anyone would defend him over that. 

It still has no bearing on his recent allegations though. Rafiq’s credibility was fairly irrelevant at that time. Yorkshire CCC’s credibility was shattered when  a report of racism within the club was put into the “just banter” file. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, den said:

Not very nice!  Doubt anyone would defend him over that. 

It still has no bearing on his recent allegations though. Rafiq’s credibility was fairly irrelevant at that time. Yorkshire CCC’s credibility was shattered when  a report of racism within the club was put into the “just banter” file. 

No argument there den

56 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

Rafiq is a nasty  piece of work, equally as are those who abused him.  His credibility is now well and truly tarnished.

D276D405-9FCF-437C-BC20-149E960BD5A7.thumb.jpeg.0b67c5684a4b6812a104905392c0f9af.jpeg

Indeed he is. 

Apologies after being rumbled won't cut it either, he had plenty of time to address this but chose not to.

13 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Do you condemn the way he was treated at Yorkshire?

Yes I do. But to sit there knowing full well he was guilty of doing the same is the height of hypocrisy.

He should come out of this episode no better than those he accuses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Yes I do. But to sit there knowing full well he was guilty of doing the same is the height of hypocrisy.

He should come out of this episode no better than those he accuses.

Not really. A few bad tweets don't compare to the face to face prejudice he suffered in cricket dressing rooms and on the field over many years

• Like 3

I was a firm believer, being ever the optimist, that racism on this scale was a thing of the past. We are a much more tolerant and liberal society than we were back in 70's and 80's, then this rears its ugly head, at the top of one of our national sports, a sport we gave to the world.

Some of the testimony from Azeem this week about being verbally and physically abused because of the colour of his skin, at work, in 2021......just disgusting. A 15yr old Asian lad being force fed red wine at his local club by another cricketer? He'd be first on the list for assault and prosecution charges. 

I'd sack the lot of them, they should also be cautioned by the police, send a message that this will not be tolerated in any shape way or form.

Edited by Gav

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Not really. A few bad tweets don't compare to the face to face prejudice he suffered in cricket dressing rooms and on the field over many years

Would you say his tweets were racist Jim? 

What was your opinion of Ollie Robinson when he was outed of doing the same?

On 02/06/2021 at 22:40, Gav said:

Another example of the brain deads thinking they’re invincible on social media, hiding in the shadows, it’s disgusting behaviour and something many of us in here would never have posted in a million years, he should be dropped. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57335528

The players lined up this morning and the slogan was very clear: cricket is for everyone. On day one of the campaign it is an awful look......

Totally agree Gav, I'm sure you will join all fair minded folk in condemning Rafiq too.

• Like 2

Personally I'd ban every single one whose done a racist tweet or action for a period. That would send a proper message rather than these fake apologies where they are only sorry that they are outed. Cricket is in the gutters and needs an independent regulator as it's in a shocking state. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Totally agree Gav, I'm sure you will join all fair minded folk in condemning Rafiq too.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to drag up my condemnation of Ollie Robinson, my views on anti-Semitism and racism are well versed LD, abhorrent in whatever context. 

I do agree with Jim though, those texts are a million miles away from the abuse Azeem has received, which was on an industrial scale in comparison.

Edited by Gav

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm not sure why you felt the need to drag up my condemnation of Ollie Robinson, my views on anti-Semitism and racism are well versed LD, abhorrent in whatever context. 

I do agree with Jim though, those texts are a million miles away from the abuse Azeem has received, which was on an industrial scale in comparison.

Gav you surely have to agree that his credibility is absolutely flattened by this. Part of his main complaint is that racist language and behaviour was that common some people couldn’t properly recall it. It turns out that he was very much an active part of that culture, and I very much doubt that the tweets that have been unearthed are the only occasions he’s acted like this - it’s either in you or it isn’t. 
Another disturbing thing I’ve seen a lot of today (including on this very forum) is that people criticising Azeem for his anti semitism are immediately being asked whether they condone what happened to him, the insinuation being that they themselves are racist. That sort of reaction is not helpful and the lad is quite rightly being called out for the racist and hypocrite that he clearly is. Robinson got pilloried for a similar offence and it’s only right that Azeem is too. 
Gary Ballance is very likely to stick the boot in on him any time soon as well. They are all as bad as each other.

Edited by oldjamfan1