BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tom Cairney

Only 6 months on his contract though they surely won't expect much

If you were Cairney or his agent (or any player with sought after talent) why on earth would you want to sign for anybody when in a few months you can be a free agent and stitch any transfer money into your own signing on fee / remuneration packege?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were Cairney or his agent (or any player with sought after talent) why on earth would you want to sign for anybody when in a few months you can be a free agent and stitch any transfer money into your own signing on fee / remuneration packege?

sorry gb but my client is free in the summer so you'll need to up your offer. otherwise we'll just go on loan at another club as his stocks risen whilst at ewood. you know as well as I do that he'll get better offers than that in the summer.

Security? It's not 12 months since he suffered a serious injury, there'll be no bumper contract if he gets another.

I reckon we'll get Cairney – and cheaply, too.

He's been a decent performer but hasn't exactly set the Championship alight. Not sure he's Premier League quality at the moment and I think Hull have realised that by seeing how he's performed with us. His form certainly hasn't been worthy of a new contract with them!

Would be a decent signing, IMO.

Around 500k and I reckon we will get him. I've taken a few friends (who support other clubs) to Ewood this season and they reckon he

isn't that special. Maybe he just stands out to us Rovers fans as we've had to watch some dross in midfield over the last couple of years.

I think the lad just wants to play football and he's guaranteed that at Rovers.

Cairney has 18 months left on his contract not 6 according to this???!! (can't take what the buffoons at the lancs telegraph say as gospel these days)

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/tom-cairney/profil/spieler_123275.html

Plus I'd assume (a big assumption given the billy smarts circus that is ewood these days) that any monies for cairney would have been earmarked when we took out the loan, in case he was a success. Otherwise why bother

Don't no if it's been mentioned anywhere else but we have had a bid rejected today and Bruxe has said negotiations will be ongoing

I don't think it actually says the bid was rejected today it may have been a while ago.

Cairney has 18 months left on his contract not 6

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/tom-cairney/profil/spieler_123275.html

Plus I'd assume (a big assumption given the billy smarts circus that is ewood these days) that any monies for cairney would have been earmarked when we took out the loan, in case he was a success. Otherwise why bother

LT says 6 months so one of them is wrong, wonder which ?

Fingers crossed we get this over the line - Evans and Cairney permanently available for the centre of midfield would be great.

Bruce mentioning it to the Press isn't ideal - but I suppose from a Hull perspective it is advantageous to see if anyone else shows an interest.

I don't think it actually says the bid was rejected today it may have been a while ago.

LT says 6 months so one of them is wrong, wonder which ?

“But we have to remember he is a Hull City player and he has a contract with them until the end of the season." - Bowyer on Cairney

Hope we can keep him. I'd say £1m plus incentive bonuses (e.g. £0.25m if we get promoted, sell on fee etc) is a fair deal for all concerned.

I see absolutely no reason we should have to pay that much. They know Cairney can leave for free in the summer and even sign a pre contract now. He is probably only worth about 1.5 million, 2 million tops based on his career so far, even if he still had three years on his deal. We should be able to get him for about 500k. If we can't, Hull are being greedy/stupid, or know that we are stupid. I would guess our initial offer was in the 200-250k bracket. That's what my opening bid would have been anyway.

Anyone know when the loan actually expires? Ie what day in Jan. Start or end of the month? If it's the end of the month, wouldn't be surprised to see this transfer be a bit of a saga during January, resolved mid to late Jan.

I see absolutely no reason we should have to pay that much. They know Cairney can leave for free in the summer and even sign a pre contract now. He is probably only worth about 1.5 million, 2 million tops based on his career so far, even if he still had three years on his deal. We should be able to get him for about 500k. If we can't, Hull are being greedy/stupid, or know that we are stupid. I would guess our initial offer was in the 200-250k bracket. That's what my opening bid would have been anyway.

Anyone know when the loan actually expires? Ie what day in Jan. Start or end of the month? If it's the end of the month, wouldn't be surprised to see this transfer be a bit of a saga during January, resolved mid to late Jan.

Leeds away is his last game as it stands.

I believe the last game of his loan spell is Leeds away which is on new years day.

Even though I rate the lad, I totally agree about the price I wouldn't pay over £500,000 considering he is out of contract come the end of the season and could come here for nothing. And Hull clearly aren't desperate to keep him otherwise they would not have let his contract run down this far.

I'm quietly confident a permanent deal for cairney will be done.

He wants to come, hull seem prepared to sell him and he only has 6 months left on his contract so won't cost that much.

If we could get him for around £1m then that would be a bargain. He's young and had bags of talent and could easily go onto be a £5m player.

Hull want to sell. If they didn't they would have offered him a new deal by now and Bruce wouldn't be talking about discussions with Rovers continuing. Presumably Rovers have made an offer well below what Hull think they should get for him. Given Rovers' financial situation that is to be expected. You would like to think no more than 500k should be enough to get him on a permanent, and the powers that be realise the importance of making that outlay.

A lot depends on how keen Cairney is to stay with us/leave Hull. If he's not bothered about spending the next six months potentially on their bench/in their reserves then he might be content to go back there. If he is determined to leave to secure regular football then he could kick up a fuss and virtually force Hull to sell him now, rather than have him back to run his contract down in return for very little first team action.

I wonder what the situation is with pre-contract agreements. Lets suppose Rovers and Hull can't reach an agreement over a transfer fee, and he doesn't come back to us on loan because Hull won't allow it.

Is there anything stopping us offering him a deal now that will come into effect in July 2014, meaning we have him signed up from next season regardless? If that is a way of doing it then that would be good.

My big worry is that Hull will want more than we are willing/able to pay, and the longer it goes on with negotiations and talks the more difficult it becomes to do a deal. Other clubs will be aware of Cairney's talent and his contract situation and whilst at the moment we might be first in the queue we won't be forever. Rival Championship clubs like Wigan, Forest or Derby might be able to find £500k or so easier than we can at the moment.

For our sake I really want us to get this done asap, preferably before the mayhem of January begins. I think Cairney has been a very good addition and is only going to get better, and having him in midfield after the dross of last season has been a welcome change.

Just watched the Rovers video Christmas Card wotsit on the website. Unless it was sanctioned by an idiot (likely I know), you'd have to assume the club are confident he'll be here for a while yet.

Saying that, Rudy Gestede was also involved as was Markus Olsson. So maybe not. What do I know? I'm as drunk as a lord!

• Backroom

As it stands he has two or three games left but you have to imagine one way or another he will be here longer

He has real class about him but at the moment would it translate to premier league quality? For me he's certainly better than some players playing in that league but would be well served playing at this level for a couple more years to focus his talent

For all parties I think a fee of 500k to £1m would be good

I certainly hope he stays and give massive massive credit to Gary bowyer and his staff for targeting him as when he signed most of us have a collective 'who?'

• Backroom

Don't understand why we would need to pay 500k/£1m for an unwanted player with 6 months left on his contract. When have we ever got that sort of money for one of our rejects?

But our rejects tend to be overpaid, over ripe,

Underworked @#/?! Cairney is young, keen and unpolished, the kind of crap I am happy if we pay for and should be (in my opinion) the business model of our club

It's all down to what we will pay for him and how much they can get for him. Don't forget De Jong went for £16m with 6 months left on his contract. Yes he was joining City but they decided they needed him before the end of his contract and paid a premium.

Don't understand why we would need to pay 500k/£1m for an unwanted player with 6 months left on his contract. When have we ever got that sort of money for one of our rejects?

Benni McCarthy and Shefki Kuqi to name two. I don't know how long they had left on their contracts but Messrs. Hughes and Allardyce did a great selling job.

Archived