BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tom Cairney

I like Cairney, he's very technically astute on the pitch. I however can't help but feel that he could be a little more adventurous with his passing - especially in the final third. He seems to be another who is happy to play it safe all too often. We see enough of that in Lowe!

You have to ask are the players fully aware of their own stats on pass completion that its affecting their performance in general.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Cairney, he's very technically astute on the pitch. I however can't help but feel that he could be a little more adventurous with his passing - especially in the final third. He seems to be another who is happy to play it safe all too often. We see enough of that in Lowe!

Couldn't agree more. He's a decent Championship player but no more than that. He rarely takes control of a game and I can see why Hull are happy to part with him now they are in the Premier League. Pick him up for a nominal fee if we can but I would hope we don't pay serious money for him, particularly with him being out of contract in the summer.

Couldn't agree more. He's a decent Championship player but no more than that. He rarely takes control of a game and I can see why Hull are happy to part with him now they are in the Premier League. Pick him up for a nominal fee if we can but I would hope we don't pay serious money for him, particularly with him being out of contract in the summer.

Agree, but if he was any better than that he would not be at a middle of the championship club. He has looked one of our better players this season when in the middle but is usually the one sacrificed out to the wing so you can argue he is not a first choice.

If his contract is close to finishing then I cannot see a lot of money changing hands unless other Championship clubs are sniffing.

Hull won't accept the first bid and with the transfer window opening you can't blame them. Rovers don't need to panic yet into making a silly bid. You'd have thought they would have agreed a price when we'd signed him on loan in the first place.

We should walk away at anything over 500k, as good as he is we could get him in summer or extend his loan.

A player i would suggest signing if we don't get Cairney is Massimo Luongo - Former Spurs lad, had a spell at Ipswich and moved to Swindon for 400k in the summer, proper ball player with allot of drive, tipped to make the Austrailia NT.

And yet despite being tipped for England he choose the country of his fathers birth after 20 odd years living within your borders.

Hanley, Cairney, Rhodes a spine of Scottishness within which our hopes rest.

Only because he thought it would be easier to play for a country that might pick him. Out of that lot I'll give you Hanley who wouldn't get near to an England team without buying a ticket.

If you are in Cairney's shoes and you compare progress made from the first game of the season v Derby,

I am afraid we can draw our own conclusions,

He looks a decent player and I hope we can sign him but Bowyer cannot seem to get the best out of him or his teamates v Maclaren who has done it in half the time.

Kamy, fair point but the individual errors are being repeated by Rovers and I still don't know if Bowyer has a best 11 in his mind yet.

After 6 months on he is seems to be stumbling through a game plan rather than engineering one that works consistently.

One up with Rhodes with his physical attributes doesn't seem to work either. He is essentially a finisher not a hold up man.

After 6 months on he is seems to be stumbling through a game plan rather than engineering one that works consistently.

To be fair, this is every manager's (and fan's) dream.

I wonder if Evans would have started every game had he not been injured?

I actually don't think Bowyer has been doing that bad a job until the last coupe of games. It's the circumstances around him that are the biggest issue.

One up with Rhodes with his physical attributes doesn't seem to work either. He is essentially a finisher not a hold up man.

Many on here say that 4-4-2 don't work either. So you agree with Theno and drop Rhodes. You say that Bowyer doesn't know his best 11. I suspect he does and it includes Dunn, King and Evans, none of which have been entirely available in the last two games.

To be fair, this is every manager's (and fan's) dream.

I wonder if Evans would have started every game had he not been injured?

I actually don't think Bowyer has been doing that bad a job until the last coupe of games. It's the circumstances around him that are the biggest issue.

Exactly. Doesnt help our best player plays 1 misses one also.

We have had our fair share of injuries really, hardly suprising the team changes often

I am advocating a foil for Rhodes rather than drop him. The current game plan is one dimensional.

You hope Dunny or Rochina might be the link but it only works intermittently.

Gestede from my knowledge of Cardiff could be the type of player but I doubt he is good enough.

4 -4-2 seems to be dismissed in this day and age but maybe 4-4-1-1 would be worth a try.

Agree Marshall and Evans appear to be making progress but real issue for me is we need to cut out the stupid errors and have a game plan that asks more of the opposition. Otherwise the alternative is to completely shut the back door each game and hope Rhodes scores one - That appears to be the best description of current formation. This is pragmatic but hardly the ambition of a team needing to go up.

If the club does have more time than we are lead to belive about FFP then maybe Bowyer can take a longer term approach and evolve a plan over a longer time frame and when his players get back to fitness, I acknowledge that a fit squad has been a problem for him.

How can bowyer coach out basic individual errors. The players know what to do, its often easy, yet they make a mistake. They dont need bowyer to tell them, its simply a lack of talent in most cases.

I am advocating a foil for Rhodes rather than drop him. The current game plan is one dimensional.

You hope Dunny or Rochina might be the link but it only works intermittently.

Gestede from my knowledge of Cardiff could be the type of player but I doubt he is good enough.

4 -4-2 seems to be dismissed in this day and age but maybe 4-4-1-1 would be worth a try.

Agree Marshall and Evans appear to be making progress but real issue for me is we need to cut out the stupid errors and have a game plan that asks more of the opposition. Otherwise the alternative is to completely shut the back door each game and hope Rhodes scores one - That appears to be the best description of current formation. This is pragmatic but hardly the ambition of a team needing to go up.

If the club does have more time than we are lead to belive about FFP then maybe Bowyer can take a longer term approach and evolve a plan over a longer time frame and when his players get back to fitness, I acknowledge that a fit squad has been a problem for him.

From what I've seen Rovers more often than not this season have been playing 4-4-1-1. Against Sheff Wed they even played Gestede behind Rhodes. I'd say that when Dunn has played in that position it has worked but he has hardly played.

I agree stupid mistakes need cutting out but you can hardly blame Bowyer for those especially from experienced players. Those players need to stand up and take a look at themselves. On Sunday, it appeared that did not and instead blamed the rookie keeper. It is unfortunate when keepers make mistakes because it usually results in a goal for the opposing team.

The big difference is that MacLaren took over a Derby team whose core players have been together for a couple of seasons, Rovers on the other hand are going through a rebuilding process.

The difference is Clough assembled a good squad at Derby but is a very average manager. McClaren has his detractors but has clearly got Derby playing well.

Lesson - get the manager right and it makes a big difference.

The difference is Clough assembled a good squad at Derby but is a very average manager. McClaren has his detractors but has clearly got Derby playing well.

Lesson - get the manager right and it makes a big difference.

He has destractors for good reason really, he has failed in numerous jobs. That said the run derby have had since he took charge is mighty impressive and credit where its due, not many if any saw that coming.

Archived