BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Gary Bowyer Thread

Majiball

If we had the right structure in place, I'd like to see Gareth Ainsworth in charge. Think he's done a decent job at Wycombe, he's a local lad, and if you squint he kind of looks like Ned Stark.

A decent job at Wycombe maybe, but that has nothing to do with us. There's a bit of a difference operating at a small club in the fourth division where the only requirement is survival in the League and operating at a club of this size where the fans expect a promotion push to the Premier League.

If the requirement for this club is doing 'decent' in the 4th division and being local then what about John Coleman?

Being a local lad should have absolutely no relevance when selecting a manager. Nor should press popularity.

Infact the only criteria should be the best qualified man for the job, which if the expectation is promotion then surely that means looking at people who have actually achieved promotion before and have worked at this level at a club of this size.

People like Pearson, Lambert, or dare I say it Lennon are the sort we should be considering if the need arises to change manager. Not taking another unnecessary gamble on a young, inexperienced and unproven manager yet again.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He talks so much @#/? that it's hard to tell what's made up and what's real.

I fear sometime in the not too distant future our Gaz will have his own Donald Trump style quote quiz.

Rumsfeld more like

A decent job at Wycombe maybe, but that has nothing to do with us. There's a bit of a difference operating at a small club in the fourth division where the only requirement is survival in the League and operating at a club of this size where the fans expect a promotion push to the Premier League.

Tell that to Eddie Howe.

Being a local lad should have absolutely no relevance when selecting a manager. Nor should press popularity.

You're right, it absolutely shouldn't. More of a bonus, if anything. However, we do have a fragmented fan base that is disillusioned with almost every level of the club. Having a guy in charge who was both competent and 'one of our own' would restore some pride and passion into the club.

Infact the only criteria should be the best qualified man for the job, which if the expectation is promotion then surely that means looking at people who have actually achieved promotion before and have worked at this level at a club of this size.

People like Pearson, Lambert, or dare I say it Lennon are the sort we should be considering if the need arises to change manager. Not taking another unnecessary gamble on a young, inexperienced and unproven manager yet again.

By the time we have the right structure in place, the likes of Pearson & Lambert will be way out of our league.

Reading through this thread I really do feel for Gary Bowyer.

The man who's played a big part in helping stabilise the club and recruited some top players for this level seems to be held in the same regard as Steve Kean.

I think a lot of you have completely lost your minds and should have at least some ounce of respect.

How any of you can look at our situation and criticise Gary so harshly is just beyond me.

That being said, he isn't performing well enough and should be replaced, but that doesn't mean we have to be so cruel about him!

Tell that to Eddie Howe.

You're right, it absolutely shouldn't. More of a bonus, if anything. However, we do have a fragmented fan base that is disillusioned with almost every level of the club. Having a guy in charge who was both competent and 'one of our own' would restore some pride and passion into the club.

By the time we have the right structure in place, the likes of Pearson & Lambert will be way out of our league.

Eddie Howe took Bournemouth all the way up from the bottom to the top. A club that is League One in size and expectations and was recently bottom of the football league. Nothing like Rovers and as far as I am aware Ainsworth hasn't got a team promoted yet, even from the fourth tier, so has a bit of work to do before he can compare to Howe.

If we convince ourselves that the proven managers won't come here then we're setting ourselves up nicely for another rookie to have a crack.

Take a look around - clubs in similar or worse states than us in the last couple of seasons have managed to attract proven managers despite limited resources and if we wanted to so could we.

Bolton with Lennon

Preston with Grayson

Reading with Clarke

Brighton with Hughton

Ipswich with McCarthy

Sheffield United with Adkins

Coventry with Mowbray

The list goes on. But you're probably right, we'll once again go down the cheap, inexperienced, massive gamble route on someone who has only ever worked in the bottom division but is a nice guy.

But it's a myth that we couldn't attract a proven manager.

The man who's played a big part in helping stabilise the club and recruited some top players for this level seems to be held in the same regard as Steve Kean.

I think a lot of you have completely lost your minds and should have at least some ounce of respect.

How any of you can look at our situation and criticise Gary so harshly is just beyond me.

That being said, he isn't performing well enough and should be replaced, but that doesn't mean we have to be so cruel about him!

Tbh respect is a 2 way thing and GB has constantly shown none to the fans with his interviews.

Let's take his latest comment. A team thrown together this week. Only one player Apkan had been at the club for less than 2 weeks and only Barrow on the bench also fitted that criteria. Ergo it's a lie.

Even if we consider new additions this season there were only 4 in the 11 including Apkan, and one was a youth we'd known about for ages. All the rest had been here for well over a season. GB insults our intelligence with such drivel.

Mrs or Ms bowyer I presume

And that reply ABBEY just proves how low some members of this board have stooped.

Rather than constructing a logic driven reply you've opted to just straight out insult me.

Bravo sir, Bravo! You're a credit to Rovers fans everywhere.

Football is cruel, at any level. What's happened to this club in particular is incredibly cruel.

Many thank him for his efforts thus far, however the same people realise he needs to be replaced and are sick of his thinly veiled insults and excuses.

And stop being so bloody precious, Abs hardly insulted you.

And that reply ABBEY just proves how low some members of this board have stooped.

Rather than constructing a logic driven reply you've opted to just straight out insult me.

Thanks love

It's almost all his team now embargo or no embargo. Buck stops with him on a matchday and he and you have to accept this. His selections, his tactics, mostly his signings and now no wins in 4 games. If he can't take the heat he isn't cut out for long term management.

Has the point of taking part in a football match changed ?

He is a big boy now operating in the big league. He largely has to also manage the expectations of lots of Rovers fans, particularly after his comment about finishing in the top two or minimum top six. Please don't feel sorry for him, he is being handsomely rewarded for mediocrity at the moment and people being harsh is endemic in the world of football.

Your last sentence says it all. If there was anything about him he would resign.

• Backroom

Bowyer hasn't exactly been helping himself with comments/excuses lately. Some misleading, some exaggerations, some outright lies. When he first came onto the scene he was a somewhat straight-talker, if a little subdued. I miss that Gary Bowyer.

No logic in your original post. You criticise people for criticising GB but go on to say he's not performing well enough and should be replaced! What are we supposed to do? Words are all we have after all.

surely to god that isn't real - is it?!?!

Of course it isn't Andy but as Stuart says the lampooning has begun.

Mr Bowyer, for all the positives he has done, is now becomming a charicature in the eyes of some because of the exact points lampooned in the memo. More catchprases than Harry Enfield, a cross-dimensional ability to see the opposite performance to many fans, an unhealthy obsession with certain players, girly stamps in the face of minimal matchday criticism, and press conferences that sound like conference calls to Pune etc etc

--------------------------------------

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/13614057.Simon_Smith_column__Backing_Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_does_not_make_me_a__happy_clapper_/?action=success#comments

More waste of print by the LET. Especially the usual tripe about SAF, Hughes etc

It seems Mr Smith doesn't like being referred to as a Rovers Fan but then goes on to label those on the opposite side of the fence as angry, hysterical men (no reference to female fans).

Is that your credibility going out the window in week 2 Mr Smith?

It's got to be bad when you'd rather read the misanthropic anti-rovers fan ramblings of Dan Clough

Archived