BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Gary Bowyer Thread

Majiball

I want him to be given more time because I think he has done a good job under difficult circumstances. I would like to see him operating in conditions whereby he doesn't have to slash the wage bill, doesn't have idiots like Leon Best clogging up the wage bill, and doesn't have to work under the limits of a transfer embargo. I'd like him to be in a position where he can make more signings like Cairney, Marshall, Conway and Gestede without the need to offload players first - conditions enjoyed by many of the 'top' managers in this league (Karanka, McClaren). The opportunity to build upwards rather than scale downwards, which can only be done one we have phased out the dross and lifted the embargo.

He's been in charge for 2 years, not 3. In that time he has had a lot of issues to sort out, and I think 8th and 9th placed finishes, whilst not wonderful achievements, were acceptable finishes considering the upheaval the club has been through in trying to reduce losses and sort itself out.

I'm not really interested in theories about the team having an 'identity' or Bowyer's 'authority'. It is a results business, and whilst we haven't got promoted Bowyer has managed to ensure we have consistently got the results to keep us towards the top third of the division in an extremely competitive division. I don't care if we have 11 players running around like headless chickens 3 times a week so long as after 90 minutes we have results to show for it and are clear of trouble.

I've already said that whilst I would personally like to see him get longer, he has to earn that right by ensuring results come and points go on the board. As much as I like Bowyer I would support a change if our form/position suggested it was necessary.

Codswallop

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowyer has been taking us gradually backwards.

There is now a clear danger that he will take us more quickly into decline.

Should've gone last season when we still had an outside shot of qualifying for the play offs, (like Adams at Norwich).

Up to now he hasn't faced any real fan hostility but that will come unless results improve.

Today is the first time that I have sensed that Gary Bowyer is a man under pressure, normally he is very approachable and relaxed, far from that over the last 24 hours. I wonder if the crowd starting to turn on him is the reason for this, he will be aware that there will be people in and around the club/owners who will jump on any supporter unrest to try and get him sacked.

Although I would be surprised if anyone manages to convince Mrs D to pull the trigger. She likes him on a personal level and having just delivered a massive profit with the sales he will be in her good books, but this is Venky's so literally anything is possible.

Crowd turning on him? When?

Ive never heard any Bowyer out chants ever during his tenure as manager.

I do wonder if he has been set a points total after so many games this season?

I cant see Shaw or Myers trying to oust Bowyer at all. Too worried about their own jobs tbh.

Maybe he is trying to get a signing in and has been working tireless on it. And is getting fed up with this embargo and its daft rules.

I cant see Shaw or Myers trying to oust Bowyer at all. Too worried about their own jobs tbh.

Maybe he is trying to get a signing in and has been working tireless on it. And is getting fed up with this embargo and its daft rules.

Your having a laugh chaddy

I'm not really interested in theories about the team having an 'identity' or Bowyer's 'authority'. It is a results business, and whilst we haven't got promoted Bowyer has managed to ensure we have consistently got the results to keep us towards the top third of the division in an extremely competitive division. I don't care if we have 11 players running around like headless chickens 3 times a week so long as after 90 minutes we have results to show for it and are clear of trouble.

I've already said that whilst I would personally like to see him get longer, he has to earn that right by ensuring results come and points go on the board. As much as I like Bowyer I would support a change if our form/position suggested it was necessary.

I was a massive fan of Sam Allardyce, you don't need to tell me that it is a results business. Sam's results had us mid table in the PL, for a club our size that equaled success.

Gary Bowyer has had us plodding away in mid table in the league BELOW, with a 40 goal strikeforce that doesn't equal 'results', it is just mediocre.

There isn't much in the Championship between teams, therefore the manager is vital.

Lets be hypothetical- embargo goes, we get to keep the rest of the squad intact, in fact, we actually get to spend money. Do you believe Gary Bowyer has enough about him to get us challenging? Not for me.

Maybe he'd just been reading this board :angry::D

I must admit I haven't heard chants directly against him - but I had a definite feeling of unrest against Bowyer on Tuesday (don't know if anyone felt the same).

It would be naive to think that sections of the crowd are not turning chaddy, considering the way we finished last season and the start this season.

You may not be hearing Bowyer out chants just yet, but if the current form continues you certainly will soon enough.

They should really be Venky out chants but hey ho!

I must admit I haven't heard chants directly against him - but I had a definite feeling of unrest against Bowyer on Tuesday (don't know if anyone felt the same).

There is a lot of grumbling, but at the same time there are numerous people in the ground that won't have a word said against him. Ewood is so subdued these days, coupled with the memories of the fan v fan scraps of the Kean era, nothing comes to the boil.

Did you selectively not hear "bowyer bowyer sort it out?" I will tell you this , that chant ain't a chant of affection

Oh and before I get accused of bullying its s genuine question

If you attended the Cardiff match you will have heard chants of Bowyer sort it out from the Darwen end, I was in the Blackburn end and heard it, so unless you wear ear protectors you are being selective in your defence of GB, this will just be the start if he doesn't arrest the slide and really give it a go instead of just saying it.

It seems the general consensus is bowyer should be sacked but that no one trusts the venkys to make a sane appointment. As a result I think there will be negativity/apathy/frustration on the terraces (and has been for some time). I can't see any genuine positivity up and until folk can get exited by a real manager taking control.

Will it happen doubt it. Hence we will be stuck with a brand of football as boring and frustrating as the man who picks the team. At the moment supporting rovers feels like getting a life sentence with no chance of parole. We have had the same problems for the last 5 years and no sign of things changing.

If you attended the Cardiff match you will have heard chants of Bowyer sort it out from the Darwen end, I was in the Blackburn end and heard it, so unless you wear ear protectors you are being selective in your defence of GB, this will just be the start if he doesn't arrest the slide and really give it a go instead of just saying it.

Of course I attended the Cardiff Match. Why wouldnt I not attend home league games.

I didnt hear the chants but if they were them then thanks for that. (Thats the honest truth).

It seems the general consensus is bowyer should be sacked but that no one trusts the venkys to make a sane appointment. As a result I think there will be negativity/apathy/frustration on the terraces (and has been for some time). I can't see any genuine positivity up and until folk can get exited by a real manager taking control.

Will it happen doubt it. Hence we will be stuck with a brand of football as boring and frustrating as the man who picks the team. At the moment supporting rovers feels like getting a life sentence with no chance of parole. We have had the same problems for the last 5 years and no sign of things changing.

Agree with all that and I think up to now he's dined out on the level of apathy and indifference, always doing just enough for the fans not to turn.

Unless there's an upturn in the next few weeks that situation could be about to change.

My point a few pages back was that regardless of how Bowyer performs, we have to be at least somewhat respectful as fans.

Criticise the man by all means and I admit he's not doing a good enough job, but don't throw him down to the same level as Kean and show him the same animosity.

Let's not forget Bowyer did well when he was caretaker and many posters here believed he deserved a shot at managing full time.

I myself think he did and I'd argue that he's done more good than bad for the club just with the players he's brought in.

If Venky's were smart however, they'd give him the rest of the season to get us out of the embargo and build the squad further and then remove him for a better manager.

That way a new Manager can come in and work with a good squad with the embargo lifted.

We should stick with him because he probably won't get us relegated this season, is the gist of what Im reading in a few posts.

Have to say I find this as baffling at the argument of him being some kind of master in the transfer market.

We should stick with him because he probably won't get us relegated this season, is the gist of what Im reading in a few posts.

Have to say I find this as baffling at the argument of him being some kind of master in the transfer market.

The thing is, if we could see some foundations being put in place and a definite plan on the pitch I could possibly buy into that argument.

• Backroom

Definitely heard a few '@#/?'s sake Bowyer, sort it!'

Let's not forget Bowyer did well when he was caretaker and many posters here believed he deserved a shot at managing full time.

I myself think he did and I'd argue that he's done more good than bad for the club just with the players he's brought in.

Well I didn't and said so at the time. What exactly does "deserved a shot" mean? For me the impending situation was so serious that we needed to get the best, most experienced manager in that we could attract. The results of not doing that are evident. To be perfectly honest, I don't think a lot of fans realised how serious the situation was becoming. Some still don't.

There is a lot of grumbling, but at the same time there are numerous people in the ground that won't have a word said against him. Ewood is so subdued these days, coupled with the memories of the fan v fan scraps of the Kean era, nothing comes to the boil.

I must admit I heard that last season too, albeit sporadically.

Archived