BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Not many, if any.. Staying as we currently are is impossible.

It's a ticking time bomb.

The only saving grace as I see it is that the vast majority of the debt is an ever increasing loan from Venkys. It would have been all over long since had it been due direct to the likes of Barclays. That said there's not a cat in hell's chance any bank would have funded the lunacy of the last 2 years directly to the club.

Guest Norbert

Just a quick point for whoever suggested that Spurr is a better player than Ollson. Well Ollson is the current favourite for player of the year at Norwich. He's leading the voting at present.

It's all relative though, as Norwich haven't been brilliant have they? Still, I'd prefer an on form Olsson on the wing to Spurr. Shame we couldn't sneak his twin down to Norwich and pretend Martin is Marcus.

It's a ticking time bomb.

The only saving grace as I see it is that the vast majority of the debt is an ever increasing loan from Venkys. It would have been all over long since had it been due direct to the likes of Barclays. That said there's not a cat in hell's chance any bank would have funded the lunacy of the last 2 years directly to the club.

Glad you are starting to see the way out

?

We're stuck between the rock and the hard place IMO, there is no ideal way out.

"The only saving grace as I see it is that the vast majority of the debt is an ever increasing loan from Venkys"

their money their pain,

I know there is no ideal way out, without the Rao's far more appealing though

Just a quick point for whoever suggested that Spurr is a better player than Ollson. Well Ollson is the current favourite for player of the year at Norwich. He's leading the voting at present.

Spurr better than Olsson? What a joke. That's one of the more serious cases amongst our support of embracing this delusion that the current crop of try-hard talentless journeymen are somehow better than the previous crop of good but disillusioned PL players.

Robinson, Hanley, Rhodes and Dunn are the only players in our whole squad now who belong anywhere above mid-table/bottom half Championship. They must be wondering what they're still doing here. Whether its Bowyer, Venkys or both, but almost every time a player's gone out in the last 2 years he's been replaced with a cheaper alternative. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. They might be monkeys who do their best, Spurr's attitude is unquestionable, but that doesn't make them good players.

• Backroom

Nice that he's putting in the effort for someone. He certainly didn't here once we were relegated.

Spurr better than Olsson? What a joke. That's one of the more serious cases amongst our support of embracing this delusion that the current crop of try-hard talentless journeymen are somehow better than the previous crop of good but disillusioned PL players.

Robinson, Hanley, Rhodes and Dunn are the only players in our whole squad now who belong anywhere above mid-table/bottom half Championship. They must be wondering what they're still doing here. Whether its Bowyer, Venkys or both, but almost every time a player's gone out in the last 2 years he's been replaced with a cheaper alternative. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. They might be monkeys who do their best, Spurr's attitude is unquestionable, but that doesn't make them good players.

Or in our case - pay peanuts you get Cairney, Evans, Gestede, Conway, Marshall ....

• Moderation Lead

Nice that he's putting in the effort for someone. He certainly didn't here once we were relegated.

Indeed. Last season he may as well have not been here.

Hardly on his own there was he?

There were probably 16 key players in the last genuinely excellent Rovers side, the one that finished 10th under Allardyce. Robbo, Givet, Olsson, Nelsen, Samba, Chimbonda, Emerton, Salgado, Pedersen, N'Zonzi, Andrews, Dunn, Diouf, Kalinic, Roberts, Di Santo.

How many of those sparkled in 2011/12 and nearly held back the flood of Steve Kean's incompetent buffoonery?

7 were sold/released for no good reason whatsoever.

Samba, Givet and N'zonzi sulked and whined and disrupted the dressing room.

Robinson and Olsson were rubbish.

Salgado was stopped from playing.

2 guys out of those 15 did anything that season, Pedersen and Dunn. Is it any coincidence they're 2 players you could describe as being genuine Rovers fans?

The vast majority of players don't support the club they play for and will always behave like the mercenaries they are. If you were expecting Olsson or anyone else to play for Kean as they did for Allardyce then you live in a different world. The same goes for a lot of the good players (or at least better than the ones we have now) we had last season. They weren't rubbish because they are rubbish, they were rubbish because they weren't managed properly. Most of the players we have now are rubbish because they are rubbish.

But you still think it was a mistake to sack Steve Kean?

I think he was dreadful but still better than Berg, Appleton and Bowyer. Which says a lot about the quality of our appointments since. Berg was probably the worst manager in the club's history, Appleton would have relegated us last season if we'd kept him, and Bowyer is well on the way to finishing miles outside the play-offs with what is still one of the highest paid squads in the league.

Surely based on the fact you think he's dreadful it wasn't a mistake to sack him, but rather the mistake was who we appointed afterwards?

Well yeah you could argue that, but I try to avoid doing for 2 reasons. Firstly that's the exact argument the football purists have always used regarding the sacking of Allardyce, and is a reason I've always dismissed as trying to dodge being wrong. Secondly, were Venkys/Shebby Singh/Derek Shaw ever going to appoint an actual proper manager? Doubtful, I don't think they even know how to get in contact with any. In which case we may as well have stuck with the bald pillock whilst he had us in and around the top. I didn't say that at the time, I wanted him out and chucked in a tenner for the telegraph advertisement. But personally I think we were wrong given the total waste of time the last 2 seasons have been.

• Backroom

The animosity between Kean and the fans meant his leaving was not only proper but inevitable. He's a vile human being and whilst the managers that have come in since have arguably been no better (although I think Bowyer is) the fact they aren't lying, cheating, drink driving scumbags is enough to make me thankful they aren't Steve Kean and that he'll never darken the doors of Ewood again.

Your quite right they aren't better but give me a crop of try hard talentless journeymen over the way our 'disillusioned' premier league stars performed anyday.

Your quite right they aren't better but give me a crop of try hard talentless journeymen over the way our 'disillusioned' premier league stars performed anyday.

They aren't trying harder because they're fundamentally more dedicated players, they're trying harder precisely because they're worse players and could never expect anything better than what they have at Rovers at the moment. If Spurr was an international player with PL experience, you reckon he'd be busting a gut for a former reserve team manager in the middle of the Championship? I think he'd be sulking like Olsson did. But he played in League 1 last season and we probably doubled his wage, so he's happy to be here.

The players we have now try harder than the PL quality players we had because they're cheap, poor players who don't mind playing with other cheap, poor players for a cheap, poor manager.

They aren't trying harder because they're fundamentally more dedicated players, they're trying harder precisely because they're worse players and could never expect anything better than what they have at Rovers at the moment. If Spurr was an international player with PL experience, you reckon he'd be busting a gut for a former reserve team manager in the middle of the Championship? I think he'd be sulking like Olsson did. But he played in League 1 last season and we probably doubled his wage, so he's happy to be here.

The players we have now try harder than the PL quality players we had because they're cheap, poor players who don't mind playing with other cheap, poor players for a cheap, poor manager.

The standard of players we have now, is the standard, that our club will now get. Just hope we don't start getting really s*&t players, as we have done before.

Archived