BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

Fair enough, I've not seen any that state why they believe Venky's would pick a decent successor to Bowyer when all past evidence points to the exact opposite... but then the thread is 154 pages long...

I think the point is DE that either you think GB is the right man, or you don't. If you do, then you stick by him, if you don't then you look to make a change. You cant be crippled in your decision making by a "what if the next ones a bad-un" discussion, because you have no way of knowing the outcome.

If you think Mackay, Clarke (or whoever else) want to come and you can afford them, does that affect the outcome of the initial question, back or sack?

I totally understand those who want to back GB (but i have a different opinion). Im more puzzled by those who want to give him to the end of the season, as i honestly don't see whats to gain when someone could come in and give the squad a good assessment, and who knows even maybe have the impact to win a few games on the bounce and grab a play-off spot (optimist).

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I think the point is DE that either you think GB is the right man, or you don't. If you do, then you stick by him, if you don't then you look to make a change. You cant be crippled in your decision making by a "what if the next ones a bad-un" discussion, because you have no way of knowing the outcome.

If you think Mackay, Clarke (or whoever else) want to come and you can afford them, does that affect the outcome of the initial question, back or sack?

I totally understand those who want to back GB (but i have a different opinion). Im more puzzled by those who want to give him to the end of the season, as i honestly don't see whats to gain when someone could come in and give the squad a good assessment, and who knows even maybe have the impact to win a few games on the bounce and grab a play-off spot (optimist).

The point is that we aren't making the decision. We can't just pretend that if Bowyer was sacked Venky's would not be deciding who is our next boss. I'm only curious to know why people believe they would pick a candidate like Mackay or Clarke as opposed to promoting another coach or bringing in a chancer who has good connections with their advisors. Surely if one is saying they want Bowyer to be sacked it also has to be taken into account what happens afterwards? He may not be the man to get us promoted (I'm still not sure) but I don't think he's a man who will get us relegated. If we take Venky's past form into account I'd wager the next person they bring in is more likely to send us closer to the trap door than push us into the premier league.

The point is that we aren't making the decision. We can't just pretend that if Bowyer was sacked Venky's would not be deciding who is our next boss. I'm only curious to know why people believe they would pick a candidate like Mackay or Clarke as opposed to promoting another coach or bringing in a chancer who has good connections with their advisors. Surely if one is saying they want Bowyer to be sacked it also has to be taken into account what happens afterwards? He may not be the man to get us promoted (I'm still not sure) but I don't think he's a man who will get us relegated. If we take Venky's past form into account I'd wager the next person they bring in is more likely to send us closer to the trap door than push us into the premier league.

So stick with Bowyer until the Raos go?

• Backroom

So stick with Bowyer until the Raos go?

Basically, yes. The only way this club is ever going to move forward is if the Indians are ousted, but as Drog so often points out - who takes on our debts and buys us? I think that question should be more of a concern than whether Bowyer should be sacked or not.

Basically, yes. The only way this club is ever going to move forward is if the Indians are ousted, but as Drog so often points out - who takes on our debts and buys us? I think that question should be more of a concern than whether Bowyer should be sacked or not.

Personally I hardly think BOTH of those things will happen.

www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11089880.Paul_Wheelock_column__Injury_jinx_hinders_Rovers_ambitions

Not a bad piece from Wheelock. A pretty impassioned speech about Rovers injuries hampering Bowyer. Although, as he admits we still should have done better. Wheelock clearly shares Bowyer's view that Lowe would feature in the strongest midfield line up.

However, this piece - like many of the apologists - ignores the fact that we are in a mountain of debt and need rapid progress.

If we were debt free and had time on our side, my opinion would be different and my patience far greater.

But we are not.

Of course, if Venkys were to publicly state - either directly or through Shelfy - it might make a big difference. So why don't they? Surely if they want to get the fans onside that would be a massive start.

In the absence of that, we can only assume they are in this for their own interests - which means PL football - or they have simply lost interest but are leaving the taps running. Which suggests they are either insane or have obscene amounts of wealth. (But if it was the latter, why wouldn't they bring in a marquee manager?)

It all just seems so contradictory.

www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11089880.Paul_Wheelock_column__Injury_jinx_hinders_Rovers_ambitions

Not a bad piece from Wheelock. A pretty impassioned speech about Rovers injuries hampering Bowyer. Although, as he admits we still should have done better. Wheelock clearly shares Bowyer's view that Lowe would feature in the strongest midfield line up.

However, this piece - like many of the apologists - ignores the fact that we are in a mountain of debt and need rapid progress.

If we were debt free and had time on our side, my opinion would be different and my patience far greater.

But we are not.

Of course, if Venkys were to publicly state - either directly or through Shelfy - it might make a big difference. So why don't they? Surely if they want to get the fans onside that would be a massive start.

In the absence of that, we can only assume they are in this for their own interests - which means PL football - or they have simply lost interest but are leaving the taps running. Which suggests they are either insane or have obscene amounts of wealth. (But if it was the latter, why wouldn't they bring in a marquee manager?)

It all just seems so contradictory.

Unlucky with some injuries, but also injuries caused not by luck, but by not being fit enough?

Not much has changed at the club in terms of how it's run, no. Venky's have stumbled onto Bowyer as a steady hand and a good bloke. Far from a great manager, but better than anyone they're likely to appoint if Bowyer is sacked. I still don't understand why there seems to be a prevalent belief amongst some that we would appoint somebody better. Venky's lucked into Bowyer, and when you consider that is them getting lucky ... well, it could end a lot worse next time.

Definitely! How we can expect to be successful at Rovers whilst the manager it seems is not allowed to sign his own players are always going to be on a hiding to nothing.

Maybe this is were Myers comes in in talking a good game whilst performing poorly.

Unlucky with some injuries, but also injuries caused not by luck, but by not being fit enough?

Lets not all get on a bandwagon here as happens so often on here. 'some' being the operative word. Difficult to design training to prevent a dislocated arm or a bump on the head, or the sort of tackle that did for Evans.

On a side issue re:Handleys sending off... that particular piece of amateurish indiscipline likely cost us 5 points in my estimation.

I take it back Theno, your not stuck in your ways at all. Yesterday I posted that story in another thread to get the response from you 'who care's'. And now 24 hours later you're discussing it another thread. So clearly someone does now care, you. You've changed your ways and in the space of 24hrs as well, that's great it's like your running with the wind.

It's been fantastic watching you evolve, hopefully next time we can work on the concept of others?

Up to you.

I take it back Theno, your not stuck in your ways at all. Yesterday I posted that story in another thread to get the response from you 'who care's'. And now 24 hours later you're discussing it another thread.

Really? Who cares?

• Backroom

For the first time I recall we came out strong in the second half, either due to the fortunate goal just before or he's hit the sweet spot with team talks

I take it back Theno, your not stuck in your ways at all. Yesterday I posted that story in another thread to get the response from you 'who care's'. And now 24 hours later you're discussing it another thread. So clearly someone does now care, you. You've changed your ways and in the space of 24hrs as well, that's great it's like your running with the wind.

It's been fantastic watching you evolve, hopefully next time we can work on the concept of others?

Up to you.

Are you his teacher, social worker, counsellor, life coach? Has he asked for your feedback? Does he even know you are...er working with him?

Pressing higher up from start of second half has to be a first for a long time. What's the betting as soon as Lowe is fit he throws him back in with Williamson and reverts to type ? If I was him I'd try and mould Lowe into a steady rightback. Also willo looks a far better player when he operates a bit further forward.

I'm clinging to Henley's injury meaning a chance for Lowe to prove himself at right back. But I fear that once fit he will be back carrying sandbags in the centre of midfield.

I am not shocked that our better and more attack-minded performances this season have been when Lowe is absent.

Today we 'went for it' in the second half and got a draw. I'm convinced that if we'd have 'settled for a draw' we'd have lost.

I really want to give Bowyer credit today but I will only do so if he has learned from it...

• Backroom

Context: there were 7 minutes of injury time.

And in previous games against lesser teams we've replaced attacking players with defensive ones

Archived