BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brill Middlesbrough Preview by m1st :)

cn174

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why do we need 3 centre backs against 1 striker for???

our best formation in my view is 4-2-3-1 and using our attacking players like King, Dunn, etc

personal think for too much is made of Formation in football these days

Is that in reverse with one central defender and 4 forwards then?

I agree regarding your initial view on formations ( are you not contradicting yourself afterwards?) but I'm sure you know that 3 at the back is 'fluid'. I won't labour the point but my point really is we need to play with more conviction than of late despite the personnel available.

I would start:

Kean

Kane, Dann, Kilgallon, Spurr

King, Cairney, Lowe, Dunn, Taylor

Rhodes

In this formation I would have Dunn in a free role behind Rhodes. Use Taylors strenght in cutting in from the left.

Lowe doing the dogjob and Cairney spread the balls to King, Dunn and Rhodes. Solid.

Really need to dictate the pace and most importantly, not concede with their first attack. Creativity has been lacking and I don't think that will change without Dunn returning so I think we need to look at pushing the full backs on ala Bolton and Barnsley. Slow balls across the midfield is not only frustrating but so easy to defend, moving the full backs forward at pace will allow space and I also trust Lowe to cover gaps left by the attacking full back.

Really need to dictate the pace and most importantly, not concede with their first attack. Creativity has been lacking and I don't think that will change without Dunn returning so I think we need to look at pushing the full backs on ala Bolton and Barnsley. Slow balls across the midfield is not only frustrating but so easy to defend, moving the full backs forward at pace will allow space and I also trust Lowe to cover gaps left by the attacking full back.

Agreed. The tempo has been far too sedate in the last two home games and easy for the opposition to regain their shape and get players behind the ball. I saw Middlesbrough last week and they have two decent wide players (Adomah and Carayol) who on the night created so much but were perhaps a touch lacking defensively.

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes."

Brian Clough

Absolutely right and applies for any era. Grerat coaches and managers do it through man management and motivation not formations.

Wise words from someone who might not have been the best manager ever but was certainly in the top 1.

Oh for the days of 2 fullbacks 3 halfbacks and 5 forwards, and back to 1954 when all 5 forwards had scored into double figures by Christmas. Now I'm showing my age.

Yes you are. Even I, who consider myself quite old nowadays, was only celebrating my first christmas then. However, the formation was still being played when i first started watching in the 60s. Watched Boro the other night - they looked scary going forward but were fragile at the back. And that was the first game after Mowbray's sacking and was a t home. Confidence will be different at Ewood and they'll have started wondering about a manager by now. Hopefully we can capitalise and get a decent win even if it's only by the odd goal.

If Etuhu is fit he's got to play. We can't afford those kind of wages and not get anything out of him. I'd stick him next to Lowe in midfield and hope he can play up to his potential over this period that Evans is out. Would love to see Dunny back behind Rhodes as well, gives us a much better look as a team with Cairney and King as the 2 wide players. Doubt Dunn will play on Saturday though, it usually takes him a few weeks to get back into it.

We paid em last season and got nowt. Not sure what would change that. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more disinterested footballer in my time

I held back for the Charlton game, as I had a good feeling, and that usually means we're crap! And yes, we were. Tomorrow, well I'm going, hope there will be a proper 15,000 as prices are low, and it's a good start or no start. Surely, even if Dunny fit, he shouldn't start. Impact only. Wouldn't ask Etuhu to clean me shoes. Blackpool team - DJ, out, god forbid Best in, with GB saying you will never play again unless you win us the game!

Big test for Gary Bowyer after the garbage he served up v the Charlton game.

Will Jase, his ace, do the business for once and dominate the Boro midfield and set Rovers on the path to victory.

Will Marshall begin to show his worth and for once beat his man.

Will Boro go a full ninety and not exploit Scot Dann.

Home advantage tomorrow for Rovers a home win should not be a problem that is unless...

Sorry to stifle any enthusiasm anybody might have, but imo we always seem to struggle against Boro at home (like Charlton) for some reason.

Additionally I'm also taking my lads on and Rovers never win when I do - maybe tomorrow may see a change.

We paid em last season and got nowt. Not sure what would change that. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more disinterested footballer in my time

I thought Etuhu was one of our best players for the first third of last season. And then something changed.

If Bowyer can sort his mindset out then he'd be a big, big player in this division.

Hoping we can get some minutes out of Dunn today, be it the first 45 or the final 30 or so. Really need to win this.

Well, after the Charlton performance, this is a BIG game for Bowyer. Another team having a miserable season walking away with ANY points isn't acceptable today.

Forget formations and who plays for a second... What I want to see is urgency, possession and sustained pressure that creates chances. I don't want to see players strolling to take throw-ins, free kicks and corners. I'm not interested in who we're playing, I'm more concerned with our boys performing to their best which they haven't done regularly enough so far.

One word to describe Blackburn Rovers this season is inconsistent, that's the only thing holding us back from a successful season. The players are good enough, the games are winnable and hopefully we crack on today.

Great preview by the way, top notch!

The question I keep asking myself over and over again, should I take a waterproof bodysuit after the drenching I took after the Charlton game!!

Come on Rovers, give us an exciting game today and keep 11 on the pitch.

Archived