BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RANT

I see so many cyclists jump red lights, drift across into the opposite lane because they can't be bothered to wait to turn right, coming up the inside of busses.

Terrible, you wonder how many cyclists in London who've been killed in this recent spate of deaths were doing something daft at the time.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TJN - I imagine a large part of the German success is due to the people being a disciplined and law-abiding society. Clearly I can't prove this but it's the impression I've gained of the Germans I have met.

There are though practical reasons for this not working on the current UK road system. For 99% of the time I would chose the road over a cycle path based on the standards we have today. Why? Shared cycle paths are full of hazards, people, glass etc. the surface is usually very poor, the paths are often short and require riders to hop on and off the road which creates danger and finally at every side road one has to slow and give way to traffic emerging from left.

Bryan you're 100% right over London cyclists. I've been in London five times in the last two years, three times for long weekends and was appalled by the dangerous, inconsiderate riding I saw.

London cyclists are remarkably defensive over this subject. I, and others, raised it on a large cycle forum, 28000+ members and got absolutely slaughtered by London riders. I recall suggesting unless cyclists demonstrate law-abiding habits motorists will never accept us and being rounded on as part of the problem. I sympathize with their issues but their attitudes will always prevent change.

This is meant to be a rant so; cyclists who use helmet cams to make self-righteous videos to name and shame car drivers on YouTube.

Paul - whilst I agree in general with the points you make, don't paint all cyclists in London by some of the bad behaviour it's very easy to see on visits down there. The majority of cyclists there are well behaved - it's just that the bad behaviour stands out in the memory.

I've ridden with my son across London a few times, including twice across the notorious junction in Bow which has been the scene of a number of fatal and non-fatal accidents. He warned me well in advance of it's danger and I was very cautious, but i can easily imagine someone who wasn't familiar with it or was just not on high alert having problems with it - it's lethal and it's on cycle super highway 2, so you can understand why cyclists use it.

The problems in London primarily stem from a huge increase in the number of cyclists in a very short space of time and the failure of TFL to respond adequately to it. On the surface it looks good with lots of super highways created (and in truth some of them are good), but in others it's simply a case of a lot of blue paint on very busy roads.

In have no idea about blame in the latest spate of deaths but there was a survey by Westminster council earlier in the year which showed that 20% of accidents were caused by cyclists and 68% by drivers.

And I agree about cyclists with head cams.

Booked (already expensive) concert tickets online, charged £36 "handling" fee plus £10 postage to send tickets.

It's a scandal and a rip-off that should be looked into by trading standards and consumer protection people.

• Backroom

Booked (already expensive) concert tickets online, charged £36 "handling" fee plus £10 postage to send tickets.

It's a scandal and a rip-off that should be looked into by trading standards and consumer protection people.

Even more annoying when you are charged to pick up your own tickets

Even more annoying when you are charged to pick up your own tickets

There is a really simple answer to such.... just say NO. Can't blame anybody for cutting your throat whan you've just handed them the knife.

Missing the point Gordon. It shouldn't be allowed.

Caveat emptor. Simple freedom of choice. You must think it's good value or you wouldn't make the purchase. Simple as.

It's why Arsenal charge about 50 quid a seat and play with the sold out signs up and we cant half fill the ground with ST's priced at £shop prices. Nothing illegal whatsoever. Not even immoral imo.

Caveat emptor. Simple freedom of choice. You must think it's good value or you wouldn't make the purchase. Simple as.

It's why Arsenal charge about 50 quid a seat and play with the sold out signs up and we cant half fill the ground with ST's priced at £shop prices. Nothing illegal whatsoever. Not even immoral imo.

Completely different. This is a spurious charge on top of a purchase price. It's a rip-off Britain, it's immoral and it should be outlawed.

Bad table manners. Something I drummed into Alexandra when she was growing up, how to hold a knife and fork properly, eat with your mouth closed.

It's such a basic, yet the number of familys you see that don't care, holding a fork like a trowel and food slopping round a gaping gob.

Loved Monday mornings, memories of a fabulous weekend.

Tuesday, yeah, alright, but got work to do.

Wednesday, hard work, but it's "hump" day, get through today and it's downhill.

Thursday, planning for tomorrow night.

Friday, it's here, party on........

Onvious it's been quite some time since you sampled the delights of down town Blackburn dave. It is now a ghost town and that is not an exaggeration.

btw.... Jack Straw will be retiring soon to a home county residence on his big fat pension but his (and Castle's before him) legacy to the people of Blackburn will remain. It might have taken him longer but he and the council have ruined Blackburn as effectively as the Venkymob have ruined BRFC. Mealy mouthed greed, avarice and deception have destroyed our town just as surely as they are destroying our football club. Straw's ability to curry enough favour amongst the press and local hoy polloy is the epitomy of the effect of telling lies often enough that they become the truth. 'A clever man' is the best thing that I can say about him, the words loyal, public spirited, genuine and honest don't even figure.

Booking fees!

And paying a 'postage' fee for an email to be sent to me :angry2:

The airlines are the ones that really kean me off. You book the cheapest one, then find out you don't have luggage, booking fee etc etc and it's no longer the cheapest. Oh and charging £3.20 for an instant coffee with UHT milk, I could buy the whole jar for that.

The airlines are the ones that really kean me off. You book the cheapest one, then find out you don't have luggage, booking fee etc etc and it's no longer the cheapest. Oh and charging £3.20 for an instant coffee with UHT milk, I could buy the whole jar for that.

Ooh, Flybe!! They annoy me. You're not allowed to take hot drinks on board anymore due to "Health and Safety" but you can buy a half the size, double the price, cup of tea on board without a lid (!!!). Apparently its nothing to do with wanting you to spend more on board, simply for your safety. Hmmm

Also stupid people in airports. My favourite was in Toronto and the woman in front of us had a pair of toddler twins but only one passport for them.

Ooh, Flybe!! They annoy me. You're not allowed to take hot drinks on board anymore due to "Health and Safety" but you can buy a half the size, double the price, cup of tea on board without a lid (!!!). Apparently its nothing to do with wanting you to spend more on board, simply for your safety. Hmmm

Also stupid people in airports. My favourite was in Toronto and the woman in front of us had a pair of toddler twins but only one passport for them.

It's Thomas Cook that drive me mad, they're con artists. Good old H & S, always a great convienent excuse.

Archived