BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Cup 13/14

Tom

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have finished it beautifully.....as Jack had financed the current Riverside as his first investment, and consequently was the most modern stand, he concentrated on the other three sides first. Still the ground looks unfinished and, no doubt, forever will be.

A kind of strange irony to Jack's era.......unfinished business........

The riverside is the best stand. Best atmosphere (due to a proper roof) decent side on view (you learn to ignore the columns) and about 3x more knee room than the other 3 hobbit stands

I hope it's on TV and I hope Rovers are sensible about ticket prices.

Me too. I hope we charge as much as we possibly are allowed. Top club, mega stars, big crowd, local derby and thousands of ill bred gloating Manc @#/?. We should pull their necks out for all we can.

Jim Fryatt pen for us. that fella had more hair on his sideburns than most people have on their heads.

Including himself.

Our capacity at the time was 51,000 officially. or maybe even 51,500

If I remember rightly it was a sell-out but many did'nt turn up in the end, because it was postponed several times,

the snow at that time was 6 feet deep and more in places.

:lol: It was about 3 ft.... piled up around the pitch from what had been shovelled off the ground. Are you a fisherman by any chance WYR? I will admit that it was bloody cold that night even though we were packed in like so many sardines.

Well Jack's motto was ' Think Big '

It was his motto. Unfortunately it was apparent to me at the time that he didn't think big enough and I'm certain of it now.

Just a thought. If it is on TV...an opportunity to protest in front of the world?

Pointless. It's quite clear by now that the only people who are bothered about what has happened to the club are us Leonard.

Just had a gander on Blue moon.com....'we'll fill their ground'/ 'take over their town'

I had forgotten what a bunch of Billy big keans big mouths their fans are.

Quite true. They could take over Blackburn on a Sat night with a full mini bus SG.

At first I thought what a lousy draw because I want Rovers to progress as far as possible in the cup.

But any non-league club would be delighted with the draw.

So let's make the most of it and have a right good go at them.

At least it's Ewood in January and not Manaus in June!!!!!!

The riverside is the best stand. Best atmosphere (due to a proper roof) decent side on view (you learn to ignore the columns) and about 3x more knee room than the other 3 hobbit stands

Pity it's about 20 yards back from where it should be and most only use it for 80 mins of every game.

btw Have you ever sat in the JW upper?

:lol: It was about 3 ft.... piled up around the pitch from what had been shovelled off the ground. Are you a fisherman by any chance WYR? I will admit that it was bloody cold that night even though we were packed in like so many sardines.

I was'nt really talking about when the game was eventually played, was'nt it postponed 5/6 times because of the weather.

I remember the drifts being well above my head, and there were reports of the snow being up to the crossbar before

one of the call offs.

:xmas:

Also remember having to climb out of an upstairs window to walk the 14 miles to school, only

for the teacher to send us home,

It's a while back but funnily enough it was when we had a Labour government.

Proof please?

btw Quote yourself.... "There used to be 10 pages of jobs not that long ago."

At first I thought what a lousy draw because I want Rovers to progress as far as possible in the cup.

But any non-league club would be delighted with the draw.

So let's make the most of it and have a right good go at them.

The worst FA cup tie is losing at home to a poorly supported 1st 2nd Div team. We are now back in our normal / rightful place plodding around the lower divisions looking forward to Cup ties against the big boys. Lets not kid ourselves only Jacks millions changed that for a couple of decades.

Not convinced this is a good draw...

Hope the pricing is right , cos I for one wont be there if the prices are ridiculous !!!!

We are on half priced ST's remember, and have been for half a dozen or so years. That is what is ridiculous! Is there no limit to peoples ingratitude? I bet you dont want us to sell Rhodes too eh Waggy?

Proof please?

The worst FA cup tie is losing at home to a poorly supported 1st 2nd Div team. We are now back in our normal / rightful place plodding around the lower divisions looking forward to Cup ties against the big boys. Lets not kid ourselves only Jacks millions changed that for a couple of decades.

We are on half priced ST's remember, and have been for half a dozen or so years. That is what is ridiculous! Is there no limit to peoples ingratitude? I bet you dont want us to sell Rhodes too eh Waggy?

Championship ticket prices should be set at £10 adults £5 kids and Prem £20/£5

It's Players, managers, coaches and agents wages that are far too high, afterall it's only football, they are'nt surgeons or rocket scientists,

most of them are pretty damned average or worse at their jobs, anyway.

70% of seats should be made available at the above prices at every ground.

10% discount if you buy a season ticket !

Oh and bring back (safe) standing.

I think the joke's on Osbourne. Any sign of a recovery where you live ? There is where Iive, there were 5 jobs advertised in my local paper instead of the usual 3. There used to be 10 pages of jobs not that long ago.

The sector I work in (nuclear engineering) has massive skill shortages and rapidly increasing pay rates and some of the best terms and conditions around. Most of the vacancies are in the North West and Cumbria. A vibrant and growing uk and global industry.

Pity it's about 20 yards back from where it should be and most only use it for 80 mins of every game.

btw Have you ever sat in the JW upper?

A few times. Good view just don't like the steep angle and lack of atmos.

I can guarantee you that just as many people slink out of the blackburn end. You just don't see them as the cowards can slink down the steps out of sight. ;)

The sector I work in (nuclear engineering) has massive skill shortages and rapidly increasing pay rates and some of the best terms and conditions around. Most of the vacancies are in the North West and Cumbria. A vibrant and growing uk and global industry.

The problem is we never seem to have any joined-up thinking in this country, the politicians only think short-term because

of party politics, they never consider what will be good for the country as a whole in the future.

Championship ticket prices should be set at £10 adults £5 kids and Prem £20/£5

It's Players, managers, coaches and agents wages that are far too high, afterall it's only football, they are'nt surgeons or rocket scientists,

most of them are pretty damned average or worse at their jobs, anyway.

70% of seats should be made available at the above prices at every ground.

10% discount if you buy a season ticket !

Oh and bring back (safe) standing.

Quite right and it should be unilateral but unfortunately that would likely contravene EU employment legislation so it's a non starter and football will have to be governed by market forces....... and our force in the market these days is pretty damned feeble.

A few times. Good view just don't like the steep angle and lack of atmos.

I can guarantee you that just as many people slink out of the blackburn end. You just don't see them as the cowards can slink down the steps out of sight. ;)

'cowards'? No doubt their tea is on the table @ 5.00pm sharp. ^_^

btw the solution to the Riverside 'deserters' is so bloody simple that I cannot believe the club have not done it. Simply keep the gates at either end shut until the whistle is blown for full time. All early leavers would have to file out of the back door.

Quite right and it should be unilateral but unfortunately that would likely contravene EU employment legislation so it's a non starter and football will have to be governed by market forces....... and our force in the market these days is pretty damned feeble.

'cowards'? No doubt their tea is on the table @ 5.00pm sharp. ^_^

Well if the clubs agreed those prices for a date say 2/3 years from now, wages would have to fall, for new contracts given to staff in

the future, would they not ?

Market forces !

Remember we've already got FFP. :wacko:

Look I know it's not going to happen, but I reckon it should and would be a hell of a lot fairer for all.

That's great but what if I want a job where I don't have to glow in the dark ?

Proof please?

I know I'm a bit of a hoarder but even I don't keep back issues of the " Rochdale Observer ". You'll just have to take my word as an Englishman.

Me and a new guy at work were reading the jobs pages around this era at lunch time. The Works Manager comes up behind us wanting to talk to me. He waits patiently for a little while but my pal ignores him, not knowing him. Eventually he says to my pal " Do you know who I am ? " My pal says " Phone an ambulance Tyrone, there's a bloke here doesn't know who he is". The Manager says " I'm Joe Bloggs, I'm the Works Manager ".

My pal shuffles through all the jobs pages reading out all the engineering jobs one by one. He then says " Funny that isn't it, all those jobs for skilled men and not one job for a Works Manager ! "

Exit Works Manager stage left.

Thatcher shut all the pits, with the help of that Canadian bum.McGregor or whatever his name was.

Funny how we now have a Canadian running the Bank of England, I'll be watching that!

No she didn't. The Marxist Scargill decided to try to bring down the government, refusing the generous offers of redundancy and relocation for purely political reasons and betraying his membership.

This from the National Union of Mineworkers records:-

Between the years 1957 and 1963, no less than 264 collieries were closed, while the number of miners fell by nearly 30 per cent. During this six-year period, Scotland lost 39 per cent of its pits, while 30 per cent of those in South Wales, Northumberland and Durham were wiped out.

Throughout the 1060s, with a Labour Government in office from 1964, the pit closure programme accelerated; it decimated the industry. During this period, nearly 300 more pits were closed, and the total workforce slumped from over 750,000 in the late 1950s down to 320,000

Archived