BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Cup 13/14

Tom

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first game at Ewood, was against city in the FA cup.

The 1969 tie ? What a night that was, Ewood with 42,000 on and absolutely heaving. In fact it was dangerous - I remember the Riverside swaying back and forth.

City had a great side then and we had them rocking for 15 minutes when Jim Fryatt equalised but were eventually well beaten 4-1.

Could well be a similar score this time.

The 1969 tie ? What a night that was, Ewood with 42,000 on and absolutely heaving. In fact it was dangerous - I remember the Riverside swaying back and forth.

City had a great side then and we had them rocking for 15 minutes when Jim Fryatt equalised but were eventually well beaten 4-1.

Could well be a similar score this time.

Posponed 5 times was'nt it ? due to the snow, I believe we sold 51,000 tickets, think it was played on a thursday night

in the end, If I remember rightly.

Jim Fryatt pen for us. that fella had more hair on his sideburns than most people have on their heads.

How absolutely heartbreaking that Rovers are playing Man City.

Heartbreaking because not too long ago, we were a proper football club, a standard of quality and management, fighting around the European places - while City were some 2nd league stragglers yo-yoing in and out of the top division,and it would have been a good little game we would have won 3-0.

Now Man. City are a Champions League team, and we....well.

Thanks Venkys, again.

My thoughts too. Doubt I'll go. The hatred is still massive.

Posponed 5 times was'nt it ? due to the snow, I believe we sold 51,000 tickets, think it was played on a thursday night

in the end, If I remember rightly.

Jim Fryatt pen for us. that fella had more hair on his sideburns than most people have on their heads.

Header if I remember correctly - his speciality.

Header if I remember correctly - his speciality.

He was non- league in his ability on the ground, but Champs League In the air.

Did we miss a pen then that night ?

My memories not what it was ! 44 years ago though and missed a fair bit of the action as I was no very tall then

and the Riverside was packed.

Franny Lee put City 1-0 up with a pen, Fryatt equalised with a header, my apologies !!!!

Well, especially given our ground only holds 31,000.....

Our capacity at the time was 51,000 officially. or maybe even 51,500

If I remember rightly it was a sell-out but many did'nt turn up in the end, because it was postponed several times,

the snow at that time was 6 feet deep and more in places.

Well, especially given our ground only holds 31,000.....

You mean you've given up on the plans to rebuild the Riverside and extend the capacity ? Jim Fryatt equalised with a header from a Stewart Metcalfe free kick at the Blackburn End. We were in it for the next ten minutes then City just ran away with the game. Leaving the Blackburn End after the game was scary, I think I was carried down several flights of steps by the mass of the crowd. I took my first wife to this game, she liked it that much she never went again !

• Moderation Lead

You mean you've given up on the plans to rebuild the Riverside and extend the capacity ? Jim Fryatt equalised with a header from a Stewart Metcalfe free kick at the Blackburn End. We were in it for the next ten minutes then City just ran away with the game. Leaving the Blackburn End after the game was scary, I think I was carried down several flights of steps by the mass of the crowd. I took my first wife to this game, she liked it that much she never went again !

I'm 29, so a touch before my time!! My view is re the current Ewood that the Jack was built too big, and the Riverside neglected!

I'm 29, so a touch before my time!! My view is re the current Ewood that the Jack was built too big, and the Riverside neglected!

There existed, not sure if still there, a mock up in the beautiful wood panelled board room, of the new Riverside stand, complete with hotel, two tiers, straddling the River Darwen, taking the capacity up to 43,000 or thereabouts. Shelved when we couldn't fill the current stadium.

There existed, not sure if still there, a mock up in the beautiful wood panelled board room, of the new Riverside stand, complete with hotel, two tiers, straddling the River Darwen, taking the capacity up to 43,000 or thereabouts. Shelved when we couldn't fill the current stadium.

Well Jack's motto was ' Think Big '

Would have finished it beautifully.....as Jack had financed the current Riverside as his first investment, and consequently was the most modern stand, he concentrated on the other three sides first. Still the ground looks unfinished and, no doubt, forever will be.

A kind of strange irony to Jack's era.......unfinished business........

Would have finished it beautifully.....as Jack had financed the current Riverside as his first investment, and consequently was the most modern stand, he concentrated on the other three sides first. Still the ground looks unfinished and, no doubt, forever will be.

A kind of strange irony to Jack's era.......unfinished business........

Just a thought. If it is on TV...an opportunity to protest in front of the world?

Archived