BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Cup 13/14

Tom

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey nodrog, you've got a tribute band. My take on it is some pits had to close because they'd run out of coal, no problem there. The Tories closed pits with plenty of coal to teach the miners and workers in general a lesson. The North of this Country is still waiting for the jobs to replace the ones casually tossed away by the Tories.

Thatcher shut all the pits, with the help of that Canadian bum.McGregor or whatever his name was.

Funny how we now have a Canadian running the Bank of England, I'll be watching that guy !

She finished off the few remaining pits, with the help of the MetPolice. The country has never recovered from the Thatcher years.

No she didn't. The Marxist Scargill decided to try to bring down the government, refusing the generous offers of redundancy and relocation for purely political reasons and betraying his membership.

This from the National Union of Mineworkers records:-

Between the years 1957 and 1963, no less than 264 collieries were closed, while the number of miners fell by nearly 30 per cent. During this six-year period, Scotland lost 39 per cent of its pits, while 30 per cent of those in South Wales, Northumberland and Durham were wiped out.

Throughout the 1060s, with a Labour Government in office from 1964, the pit closure programme accelerated; it decimated the industry. During this period, nearly 300 more pits were closed, and the total workforce slumped from over 750,000 in the late 1950s down to 320,000

I think Tyrone has made my point for me.

She wanted to kill all the unions so she took on the miners and had to bring that bum from Canada over to do it,

she gave the Police a massive pay rise before hand too, to keep them onside.

Disgrace of a government, the Tories just hate any kind of workers rights, they'd scrap the minimum wage tomorrow

if they thought they'd get away with it.

I know I'm a bit of a hoarder but even I don't keep back issues of the " Rochdale Observer ". You'll just have to take my word as an Englishman.

Me and a new guy at work were reading the jobs pages around this era at lunch time. The Works Manager comes up behind us wanting to talk to me. He waits patiently for a little while but my pal ignores him, not knowing him. Eventually he says to my pal " Do you know who I am ? " My pal says " Phone an ambulance Tyrone, there's a bloke here doesn't know who he is". The Manager says " I'm Joe Bloggs, I'm the Works Manager ".

My pal shuffles through all the jobs pages reading out all the engineering jobs one by one. He then says " Funny that isn't it, all those jobs for skilled men and not one job for a Works Manager ! "

Exit Works Manager stage left.

Is there a punch line or an end to this story?

Hey nodrog, you've got a tribute band. My take on it is some pits had to close because they'd run out of coal, no problem there. The Tories closed pits with plenty of coal to teach the miners and workers in general a lesson. The North of this Country is still waiting for the jobs to replace the ones casually tossed away by the Tories.

Coal is only burnt once and it's still there. ;)

I think Tyrone has made my point for me.

She wanted to kill all the unions so she took on the miners and had to bring that bum from Canada over to do it,

she gave the Police a massive pay rise before hand too, to keep them onside.

Disgrace of a government, the Tories just hate any kind of workers rights, they'd scrap the minimum wage tomorrow

if they thought they'd get away with it.

Thats because the communist lead unions stated that they effectively wanted to kill her and pave the way for a communist government in this country. She won and thank Kean she did. :tu:

Suffice to say that communism has effectively fallen off a cliff and the only places communism works today are North Korea, Albania and Cuba. Why dont you and Jim and the rest of your politically outdated chums simply emigrate?

oops sorry tom.

Thats because the communist lead unions stated that they effectively wanted to kill her and pave the way for a communist government in this country. She won and thank Kean she did. :tu:

Suffice to say that communism has effectively fallen off a cliff and the only places communism works today are North Korea, Albania and Cuba. Why dont you and Jim and the rest of your politically outdated chums simply emigrate?

oops sorry tom.

Last one Tom !

And the workers in this country have not been worse off for decades, and yes another Tory government In power.

It will show them they are hated .. Can imagine it being a live game or long high lighted one. Imagine if hardly any rovers fans turned up .

Or do we continually sit there in silence whilst under their watch just accept going from 8th to near L1 , the club raped , the club a joke and under police match fixing scrutiny.

May not achieve much but it would show the rest of Europe and the world who watch the FA cup we care.

It will show them they are hated .. Can imagine it being a live game or long high lighted one. Imagine if hardly any rovers fans turned up .

Or do we continually sit there in silence whilst under their watch just accept going from 8th to near L1 , the club raped , the club a joke and under police match fixing scrutiny.

May not achieve much but it would show the rest of Europe and the world who watch the FA cup we care.

Its a pointless execrise unless you get huge buy in from supporters. For that to happen it has to be clear it will achieve something very powerfull.

Showing venkys they are hated isnt going to mobalise the masses. Even Venkys are clever enough to figure out by now they are hated bigtime

So we do nothing as always .

Abbey you know as well as me that protests are just dismissed or mocked by about 75% of Rovers fans.

Like it or not people simply won't Boycott because you'll always get a load who say 'they won't stop me enjoying my football and supporting my team'. Even though it is quite plausible that they will stop them supporting their team if said team goes out of business.

Anyway fact is, even at our lowest point people wouldn't boycott/protest. What evidence do you have to suggest that anything has changed?

Abbey you know as well as me that protests are just dismissed or mocked by about 75% of Rovers fans.

Like it or not people simply won't Boycott because you'll always get a load who say 'they won't stop me enjoying my football and supporting my team'. Even though it is quite plausible that they will stop them supporting their team if said team goes out of business.

Anyway fact is, even at our lowest point people wouldn't boycott/protest. What evidence do you have to suggest that anything has changed?

What exactly would we be protesting about though?

Nothing has ever been proven against Venky's other than incompetence despite the myriad of conspiracy theories that have been doing the rounds for years.

The facts as they stand are that the Walker Trust made a terrible choice of who to sell to and the current owners who had no previous experience of running a sports franchise have made a colossal mess of running us. If anything different to that comes to light at any point that would be a different matter entirely but at the moment any televised protests would imo make us look like a bunch of whingers spoilt by the success of the early Jack Walker years who think we have a divine right to be in the Premiership.

What exactly would we be protesting about though?

Nothing has ever been proven against Venky's other than incompetence despite the myriad of conspiracy theories that have been doing the rounds for years.

The facts as they stand are that the Walker Trust made a terrible choice of who to sell to and the current owners who had no previous experience of running a sports franchise have made a colossal mess of running us. If anything different to that comes to light at any point that would be a different matter entirely but at the moment any televised protests would imo make us look like a bunch of whingers spoilt by the success of the early Jack Walker years who think we have a divine right to be in the Premiership.

Well I suppose you could focus on the fact that we don't have a boardroom in place at the moment, our financial director has left with no replacement made. The club has run up debts of over £50m in around 3 years and that is increasing by the day at an alarming rate. - and the club faces administration/liquidation in the very near future.

Just because on the surface of it we appear just to be a club with a crap squad idling around mid-table in the championship, it doesn't mean we aren't still in complete disarray behind the scenes.

For what it's worth I don't expect any protest to happen, nor would i necessarily condone one unless the message and reasoning behind it could be justified and communicated effectively i.e. we are protesting to ensure the safeguarding of our 135 yo institution / to ensure a competent board is recruited / to seek answers as to what our owners intend to do etc. Basic things that should happen at every club.

If a boycott was arranged I would expect that you would still attend the Manchester City game Simon? If memory serves me correctly (which it may not), you were against most forms of protest from start to finish weren't you?

Archived