BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] DJ Campbell arrested on match fixing allegations

JMillZz

Nonsense. 2 players "off the pace" and,say, a manager who never picks the same side two games running, is at war with half the squad and makes incomprehensible substitutions at halftime and you'd not need any more "on side" at all. No way would you need all eleven.

All hypothetical of course.

Course you would. Several players are off the pace every game in the normal course of events. You normally only get 3-4 games a season when the whole team plays to their best.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or as bookie, you offer a generous 3/1 he wouldnt get booked in first half (knowing he will) and suck a load of cash from mugs and win that way round as well.

just to give you an example I can go in to paddy powers today and there is the following markets regarding bookings:

card index

first booking

time of first booking

Last booking

Card index match bet

first half card index

time of last booking

time of first booking by interval

card interval betting

& team card interval betting

that's 10 markets across which I (as a normal punter) can bet on. its a gold mine for any unscrupulous gold toothed footballer!!!

"Helping Police with their enquiries" was always a rather humerous pseudonym for someone being strongly suspected of an offence and interviewed whether or not they were subsequently charged.

People are questioned under arrest and subsequently released without charge all the time. It's no definitive indication of guilt

Bob on....as it's a NCA investigation, ain't going to invite him in for a polite chat! I suspect he will be released on police bail for further enquiries, unless they have him on video confessing to something underhand.

He didn't ask for me to represent him....I'm offended!

Not unless he admits any offences. Being charged is no definitive indicator of guilt either. Can only assume in that Whitehawk's case the players admitted the offences.

Exhibit A Gerald Ashby Man Utd v Blackburn Rovers 1993/4.

Exhibit APlus..... Paul Durkin Old Trafford 1994/95

Course you would. Several players are off the pace every game in the normal course of events. You normally only get 3-4 games a season when the whole team plays to their best.

And the manager?

In the hypothetical case I quoted, you would have the same number of players not playing to their best as is statistically the case as you rightly point out + AN EXTRA TWO deliberately not trying. This is not a normal course of events. that's the whole point!

Couldn't the player that DJ fouled to get the booking potential sue DJ also, considering the foul was premeditated and could have caused him an injury.

(if DJ is proven guilty of course)

Depends if it caused any significant injury....unlikely to get damages otherwise. Would be a nailed on common assault though!

Depends if it caused any significant injury....unlikely to get damages otherwise. Would be a nailed on common assault though!

I'm guessing you work in the legal profession, if so what are the differences between a police and an NCA investigation? I know the NCA has just taken over from SOCA and has a National mandate, but wouldn't they follow normal policing procedures?

just to give you an example I can go in to paddy powers today and there is the following markets regarding bookings:

card index

first booking

time of first booking

Last booking

Card index match bet

first half card index

time of last booking

time of first booking by interval

card interval betting

& team card interval betting

that's 10 markets across which I (as a normal punter) can bet on. its a gold mine for any unscrupulous gold toothed footballer!!!

See you look at these markets and then look at blackpools last 2 games and cant help but go...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm not sure whether you are quoting an actual real life example or a hypothetical one but before you get too carried away I'm not aware that you can bet on the identity of the first player to get a yellow/red card with the legitimate high street bookies in this Country, it's just too open to obvious abuse. You can bet on the TOTAL number of reds and or yellows in a game I think.

If you can place bets on that with dodgy bookies abroad then more fool them for accepting the bets. You also used to be able to bet in this Country on ridiculous things like time/winners of the first throw when the Premiership first started and that's now been stopped as I think it's now accepted that some players were making themselves some extra money by wellying the ball out of play straight from kick off. Of course it's a bit of a stretch to call that "match fixing" as it doesn't have the slightest bearing on the result.

No it was a made up simple example, Not all bookies (legal) have measures in place country by country there's a vast difference on what you can and can not bet on, with illegal bookmakers anything goes. You can bet on aany sporting event, being played anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world , hell you can even make it look like you are placing a bet from England when you are in fact in Brunei , its a worldwide problem and very lucrative .

Makes you wonder about some of the strange reffing decisions over the years doesn't it - surely the most obvious targets for this kind of thing?

That's exactly what I thought. The refs have more power to make decisions, and also don't get paid anything like the players, so the financial reward would be bigger. Lots of rubbish refereeing decisions every week in the championship.

I can't believe the incidents happened while playing for us as there has been no guarantee that he will start or even be part of our games since joining.

Takes no time to place a bet these days. Players usually know the team well in advance

Disgraceful if proven guilty but no smoke without fire IMO.

Isn't it odd that usual disciplinary practices used in general employment law aren't used with regards to football clubs in certain scenarios but could be when it suits the player?

Best can't be disciplined and summarily dismissed for his indescretions and DJ would have to be suspended on full pay pending investigations.

I can understand the latter (but don't necessarily agree) but applying the letter of the law to several others, we could surely have saved a fortune?

• Backroom

If 5 of the 6 are bailed until April does that mean they can go back to playing football

Surely we can't field him with this hanging over his head unless he is the 6th obviously

If 5 of the 6 are bailed until April does that mean they can go back to playing football

Surely we can't field him with this hanging over his head unless he is the 6th obviously

Didn't bother Venky's letting a rogue MD carry on after costing the club 1.5 million , so don't think the possibility of a footballer being involved in a betting scandal would appear on Balaji's radar do you, uhmm then again :).

Disgraceful if proven guilty but no smoke without fire IMO.

Isn't it odd that usual disciplinary practices used in general employment law aren't used with regards to football clubs in certain scenarios but could be when it suits the player?

Best can't be disciplined and summarily dismissed for his indescretions and DJ would have to be suspended on full pay pending investigations.

I can understand the latter (but don't necessarily agree) but applying the letter of the law to several others, we could surely have saved a fortune?

we could still save a fortune if a conviction is made, gross misconduct, damages etc

agree, not picked to play until a resolution is found,

What is your view now Amarilo?

The fact that 5 out of 6 have been bailed might only be down to the fact that logistically they have to check something else out and therefore haven't had the chance to conclude questioning the 6th yet.

I must say that I'm surprised 5 have been bailed to a date so far hence. That suggests to me a bit of a "fishing expedition" from the authorities and they're hoping sufficient evidence to charge will emerge in the interim period.

They must have known the arrests would have generated massive publicity. I wouldn't have taken that move without sufficient evidence to charge, with or without a confession.

Archived