BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leeds United vs Blackburn Rovers New Years Day 15.00

K-Hod

• Moderation Lead

So, after two disappointing (to say the least) results against two teams we expected to do better against, we make the short journey across the Pennines to Elland Road to face 'dirty Leeds' United on New Year's Day (No doubt a few of our travelling faithful will be feeling a little delicate after seeing in the New Year with a few sherbets!!)

A fellow supporter that sits next to me at Ewood made a good point that, regardless of the manager, or the era, Leeds teams always seem to play up to the 'dirty Leeds' tag, in their style of play.

This was a point hilariously made in 'The Damned United' by Brian Clough (played by Michael Sheen) when he gets the manager's job at Leeds, and he claimed Leeds had 'gained their recent success by cheating'.

Granted though, as Brian Clough was someone I admired greatly (my dad brought me up to speed with his Television appearances and unwavering self-confidence), it was always going to be difficult for me to be impartial watching 'The Damned United'.

We last played Leeds just over a month ago, and managed to gain a 1-0 win thanks to a goal from Tommy Spurr on the stroke of half-time. I remember remarking at the time, that it had been a good performance that day, though as ever with the Rovers, it's the hope that gets you, and subsequently, we've not managed to get as many points on the board as we'd all like since.

A bit about the opposition
Formed in 1919 after the disbanding of 'Leeds City FC', Leeds have played at Elland Road for the entirety of their nigh-on 100 year existence.

As I alluded to with 'The Damned United' reference, Leeds had the most successful period in their history under Don Revie, prior to the arrival of Brian Clough.

This period in the club's history began adversely with financial difficulties (this would turn out to not be the first time this was the case), and it was only in the final game of the 1961-62 season that the club was saved from relegation to the third tier. Following this, Revie championed a youth policy and changed the colours of the kit to all-white, as an homage to Real Madrid, immediately before the kit colour change they had worn yellow and blue stripes, which they had used since 1934, incorporating the colours of the City's crest.

Initially, Leeds had played in blue and white stripes in the style of Huddersfield Town, as the then chairman of Huddersfield was attempting to merge the two clubs, he eventually left Huddersfield to take over at Leeds.

In the 1963-64 season, Leeds won promotion to the First Division. For the next 13 years, Revie presided over the most successful period in the history of the club.

Revie led Leeds to two Football League First Division titles, one FA Cup, one League Cup, two Inter-Cities Fairs Cups, one Football League Second Division title and one Charity Shield.

He also guided them to three more FA Cup Finals, two more FA Cup Semi-Finals, one more Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final and one Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Semi-Final, one European Cup Winners' Cup Final and one European Cup Semi-Final.

The team also finished second in the Football League First Division five times, third once and fourth twice.

However, the team was also known for its dirty play, famously when they injured many of Derby County's first team ahead of their European Cup match against Juventus thus earning the nickname "Dirty Leeds", a nickname which still resonates with opposing supporters today.

The most difficult period in the club's history came between 2001 and 2007, which saw the club's well-publicised financial trouble and relegation from the top flight. Leeds had borrowed money against future Champions League qualification and progress.

Unfortunately for Leeds, neither happened, and they had to sell players to off-set the debts. This began with Rio Ferdinand's sale to rivals Manchester United, and led to the departure of manager David O'Leary. Terry Venables was then brought in, but he went the same way as O'Leary after poor showings on the pitch, and the sale of other players such as Jonathan Woodgate.

By 2007, Leeds had been relegated to League One following administration and a 10-point deduction. By 2009-10, Leeds were improving, and after a good run in the FA Cup which resulted in a win at Old Trafford against Manchester United, though their form faltered, they rallied, and went up automatically to the Championship, where they have remained ever since.

Supporters
Leeds have always been known for their away followings, most recently highlighted by the 8,000 they brought to Ewood for the most recent meeting between the two clubs. They do regularly top the away followings table in the Football League, and take more away than a lot of Premiership teams. Though their home attendances are quite poor in comparison, with the ground being half full for the most part. (Though, as a Rovers fan, in my glass house I should probably refrain from throwing stones....)

Some famous Leeds fans are as follows:

Jeremy Paxman (Yes, this was news to me as well!!)
Ralph Ineson
Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom in Harry Potter)
Jack P Shepherd (Coronation Street's David Platt)
Russell Crowe
Chris Moyles
Colin Montgomerie
Kelly Jones (Stereophonics)

Played for both clubs
These are from my lifetime, feel free to add any more in the thread!

Current Leeds
Stephen Warnock (jumped ship for Villa)
El Hadji-Diouf (Kean's mate, allegedly turned up at Brockhall with his Rangers shirt and winners medal after his loan there expired)

Current Rovers
Paul Robinson
Matt Kilgallon
Tommy Spurr

Former
Dominic Matteo
Jonathan Douglas
David Batty
Jason Wilcox
Robbie Fowler

Head to Head
Our last meeting at Elland Road was last August (I was on holiday, thus couldn't attend) but it ended in a 3-3 draw, with Rochina knocking in a late back-heel right at the death. Though we had raced into an early lead, we later found ourselves 3-1 down.... Steve Kean's management ladies and gentlemen.

Over the years, at Elland Road, Leeds have a very good record against the Rovers, with 24 wins to our 8, and 12 draws.
Ross McCormack for me, is the Leeds player to pay special attention to, as he's the current Championship top scorer with 17, and the only Championship player with more league goals than our JR.....

He scored last time out at Nottingham Forest, where ironically the winning goal was scored by ex-Rover Matt Derbyshire.
Leeds are without a win in their last 4, though have only lost once in the last 6, in the aforementioned away game at Forest.
Rovers, well on the back of 2 poor results, have been hit and miss, with 2 defeats in our last 6, where in our manager's words 'we beat ourselves twice', clearly that is manager speak for electing not to defend.

It also led too Scott Dann getting angrier than Bruce Banner when he turns green at Simon Eastwood after a calamity involving our current no.1 and Grant Hanley, where neither displayed any brain power whatsoever.

I'm still undecided on whether to go or not, though either way if I do, it will be ground number 20 racked up for me, and if that personal milestone isn't passed on the first day of 2014, then it will be at some point in the same year.

I personally think this will be a 0-0 stalemate, though would be happy to be proven wrong (well, in the shape of a Rovers win anyway).
COYB.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds brought 6800 to Ewood not 8k by the way :) Also from a city of seven hundred thousand + their home attendances are crap. They give us enough stick on this matter so they can have a bit back !

Leeds 3 Rovers 0. Another bad day at the office coming i think before we re-group and beat City lol

Revie ... changed the colours of the kit to all-white, as an homage to Real Madrid, immediately before the kit colour change they had worn yellow and blue stripes, which they had used since 1934, incorporating the colours of the City's crest.

Yet Vincent Tan does it and he get ripped to shreds.

• Moderation Lead

Leeds brought 6800 to Ewood not 8k by the way :) Also from a city of seven hundred thousand + their home attendances are crap. They give us enough stick on this matter so they can have a bit back !

Leeds 3 Rovers 0. Another bad day at the office coming i think before we re-group and beat City lol

Haha, duly noted-though I did allude to their home attendances :-)

• Backroom

I read that King and Dunn might be fit. If so:

Kean / Henley Dann Hanley Spurr / Williamson Cairney / King Dunn Marshall / Rhodes

If they dont make it

Kean / Henley Dann Hanley Spurr / Williamson Cairney / Marshall Judge Taylor / Rhodes

I'd be tempted to stick with your latter formation. Showing faith, as a reward for the extra effort put in by those very players.

• Backroom

The position alongside / behind Rhodes is one well up for grabs at the moment

Rochina didn't do nearly enough to cement it but he's the type that will thrive with a decent run in the team

I genuinely think we will win this after two poor results

Doubt Rochina will play, gives it away too much. Hope we don't play the dreaded Lowe and Williamson combination or we'll get pumped. Probably select the 3 behind Rhodes randomly again and hope for the best. First game since September for me so looking forward to it.

The position alongside / behind Rhodes is one well up for grabs at the moment

Rochina didn't do nearly enough to cement it but he's the type that will thrive with a decent run in the team

I genuinely think we will win this after two poor results

Rochina is the like-for-like replacement for Dunn. He needs a run of games to get match-fit and prove his doubters wrong.

• Backroom

If Dunn isn't available I still think Ruben is the best option behind Rhodes, with Gestede coming on to change things up a bit if it isn't coming off.

Think we'll lose this one 3-1, not sure we'll look particularly good in defeat either. In the new year we need to focus on bringing a far more positive approach to our home games, as they will be key in keeping us in and around the playoffs if we are to have a chance this season.

Interesting game think Rovers can get on the ball and move it around at Elland Road just like they did against Brum, though Rovers need that killer instinct from everyone and not just the one player to make it count.

Dont know whats in the managers plans but if Josh King and Chris Taylor are fit, then his hand must be surely strengthened for this game which should give the travelling support a treat. Wasnt too impressed with Williamson and Judge against Brum so they must surely be ruled out unless injurys mean otherwise.

Its new years day so lets see the start of an unbeaten run for Rovers.

Archived