BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barnsley v Rovers Tuesday 28/01 19.45

K-Hod

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wont surprise me if Rhodes now leaves seens as we will miss out on promotion.

Well he's not touched the ball in the second half according to Radio Lancashire. Don't worry about him going anywhere, no one will match the ludicrously high price tag we have put on his head.

bit irrelevant I suppose, but I see judge and d.j. both scored tonight(I wouldn't be surprised to see dj end the season in double figures)

Madness to send them out without getting replacements in, tonight when we needed a goal we had no fresh legs to bring on to play upfront, with DJ gone. Also Judge would have been a more like for like replacement for Dunn, with Ruben and Judge gone we only have a Dunn to play in that role and he is class but he's 34 year old with injury problems who can play an hour a week. It's all very well saying we have done well to cut the wage bill but we have also cut our strength in depth significantly.

okay, i know Bowyer is a nice guy and all that. but please stop using the excuse about turmoil the last 3 years and so on. this is a fresh season, with Bowyer having brought in his own players. fine, the majority are young players, but its Bowyer unable to identify certain issues and selections that is driving me up the wall. this team while young should be beating this Barnsley team, and while we may not make the playoffs, we sure as hell need to make other teams work to get into the players. we are papering over the cracks by making far too many excuses, we lack ambition and we lack the desire to want to get into the players. the fans this season have played their part, but we have a manager who it seems wont learn from his mistakes

the mentality comes from the manager

I will partly agree with that, so Bowyer didn't give the first half team talk when we battered them and played 4-3-3 away from home - hardly defensive tactics ? I don't think it is defensive tactics - I think it is a team that struggles to cope when other teams go gung ho at us. In the first half - we would have totally out passed Barnsley irrespective of tactics - in the second half we struggled to find our men. With Gestede and Rhodes we don't have pace to threaten teams on the break - so when our passing breaks down we rarely have an out ball.

Totally agree jimmy,

We are all frustrated and people on here giving up on playoffs, slagging GB, think bk over last 3 years and breathe. Got half a season to play nearly. Gonna be a lot more ups and downs to come yet.

If we beat Blackpool this point becomes acceptable.

Really ! we're 6 points behind Reading now if you count GD.

I think we have thrown it away against a poor team yet again.

Hardly surprise then is it? Good psychology. They are fighting for their futures as no doubt the scouts are in overdrive tonight. In the meantime our lot are in easy street by comparison

You agree with me then ? Too many having it too easy at Rovers. Fergie's hairdryer would be burnt out at Ewood. We've got players on big bucks that would be fearing for their careers at most other clubs in this league.

I will partly agree with that, so Bowyer didn't give the first half team talk when we battered them and played 4-3-3 away from home - hardly defensive tactics ? I don't think it is defensive tactics - I think it is a team that struggles to cope when other teams go gung ho at us. In the first half - we would have totally out passed Barnsley irrespective of tactics - in the second half we struggled to find our men. With Gestede and Rhodes we don't have pace to threaten teams on the break - so when our passing breaks down we rarely have an out ball.

From what I have seen Gestede is very quick.

Bowyer is Appleton mark 2 - quite happy to take 0-0 and 1-1.

Very disappointing

exactly...the template seems to be to ship out or freeze out the creativity/flair...play for draws....then bemoan our poor luck...we are supposed to be a promotion chasing side yet he refuses to attack the bottom side in the league...he needs to go

My thoughts at the kick off was that must be the slowest midfield and strike force Rovers have ever fielded. The " Pensioner " would out run most of them and that is saying something.

Disappointing but let's not lose sight of the progress we've made over the past 12 months.

We seem ok when we're on the front foot but when we are on the back foot we seem (1) unable to stop the other team scoring and (2) get back an attacking foothold in the match. Is sitting back GB`s tactics or is it simply that the midfielders are unable to wrestle the ascendancy back from the other team? I suspect the latter which will improve once Evans is back and maybe Dabo if he's any good.

Hope Williamson is ok. It's probably not a bad thing he's gonna be out of the side for a while but don't like to see players badly injured.

If we had the rub of the referee whistle then we would have taken 6 points from the past two games. Fine margins but it doesn't hide the fact that we can't finish teams off whereas the likes off Leicester and Reading can.

Disappointing but let's not lose sight of the progress we've made over the past 12 months.

We seem ok when we're on the front foot but when we are on the back foot we seem (1) unable to stop the other team scoring and (2) get back an attacking foothold in the match. Is sitting back GB`s tactics or is it simply that the midfielders are unable to wrestle the ascendancy back from the other team? I suspect the latter which will improve once Evans is back and maybe Dabo if he's any good.

Hope Williamson is ok. It's probably not a bad thing he's gonna be out of the side for a while but don't like to see players badly injured.

If we had the rub of the referee whistle then we would have taken 6 points from the past two games. Fine margins but it doesn't hide the fact that we can't finish teams off whereas the likes off Leicester and Reading can.

Totally agree with this - but will add that often our ability to finish teams off is nothing to do with tactics - but poor finishing.

Just on the way back, we seemed to be playing with the intent to push the full backs on. If the full backs didn't push on we went side to side until Jason Lowe or Williamson gave the ball away. Barnsley weren't good but still managed to easily work there way through us, with Robinson pulling off two excellent saves, one of which should have seen them one up even before they scored.

The penalty was down the other end so couldn't make out the particulars but the ball looked to e very much going away from goal, so I'd be disappointed if our defender laid hands on the striker.

To finish on a positive, Cairneys goal was a worldie and a half!!!

My thoughts at the kick off was that must be the slowest midfield and strike force Rovers have ever fielded. The " Pensioner " would out run most of them and that is saying something.

Pace is often overstated.

When we beat United 4-3 at Ewood, we had Savage, Tugay, Reid, Pedersen, Bentley & Kuqi. None of them were known for their blistering pace.

Nothing against Cairney he is quality. But he seems to dictate the play in the first half of games but fade away as a game progresses, don't know if it's down to fitness but it's something I've noticed over the past few games.

Player resources have cost us valuable points, tonight included. Not many teams release so many players during January, however we're in an unfortunate situation were it was necessary. The problem is the quality of the ones we have left that are willing/ committed to playing football. There's a lack of strength in depth (this is the reason for the Lowe and Williamson partnership) and right now our position in the table is very fair. David Dunn shouldn't be starting matches if he can't make it past 60 minutes, that's not ideal for any team. If he's not going to regain his fitness then he should be coaching. 3- 4 strong players in and we'd be seeing off teams like Barnsley. Although it's looking unlikely. Considering the state of our squad, the finances available, who our owners are and past experience; I'm convinced, sacking Gary Bowyer isn't the answer (N.B. I don't think he's a particularly good manager). The only answer is to support the current team and if we do miss out on the play-off's... hope that we're strong enough next year.

Been out tonight.

Managed to see (on my phone):

The line up - ouch :wacko:

The first 3 goal notifications - urgh, yay, YAY :rover:

The result - oh :(

Everything else has been said before. Will anything change? That dead horse is so flogged, it's nearly on it's second funeral.

#nothingmoretosay

Archived