BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barnsley v Rovers Tuesday 28/01 19.45

K-Hod

• Moderation Lead

After Saturday's half disappointing, half fortunate point against Derby after we were dominated towards the end, we go on to South Yorkshire, and to Barnsley for a brilliant Tuesday night fixture...

Hopefully, (and yes, I know, it's the hope that gets you!!), our team selection is better this time out, and we play players in their natural positions, not square pegs in round holes (see Tom Cairney), and two defensive midfielders that don't tackle an awful lot, or in the case of Lee Williamson, make any meaningful contribution to his club, aside from obviously hauling down Danny Ings in September!

I'll not be attending the game this year, but I did go last year, the game took place over Christmas, around the 29th of December, and we won the game 3-1.

It was one of the first games I saw Josh King play, and he scored a blinder of a goal. He picked up the ball around half way, and pretty much just sprinted down the wing, cut in and scored, leaving Barnsley's players chasing his shadow.

We were 2-0 up and cruising, then, out of nowhere, their central midfielder David Perkins (a player admired on here previously who recently joined Blackpool), scored a hell of a shot from distance out of the blue, and we made things difficult for ourselves until Jordan Rhodes scored a breakaway goal right at the death to ensure the points would be returning with the Rovers back to Lancashire.

At the end, a few of the players threw shirts into the crowd, one of whom we thought was Martin Olsson, my mate was able to catch his shirt and was pleased.

Then he turned it around, and saw that it was, in fact, the shirt of Markus Olsson. A fellow fan remarked- 'Ahhh, you got the crap Olsson'. It's amazing how truthful we can all be after a few servings of alcohol, and of course, he was accurate in his assessment!!

Anyway, on to the actual preview, and a little about our opponents.

A brief history

Formed in 1887, by a local clergymen, they first joined the Football League in 1898.

When the league restarted after the First World War, the 1919–20 season brought some significant changes to the league.

The main difference was that the First Division would be increased from 20 teams to 22.

The bottom team from the previous season was Tottenham Hotspur and they were relegated. The first extra place in the First Division went to Chelsea, who retained their place despite finishing 2nd bottom and therefore in the relegation places. Derby and Preston were rightly promoted from the Second Division which left one place to be filled.

Having finished the previous season's Second Division in 3rd place (1914–15), Barnsley were full of expectancy at gaining First Division status for the first time, but the Football League instead chose to call a ballot of the clubs. Henry Norris, the then Arsenal Chairman, had recently moved Woolwich Arsenal north of the River Thames to Highbury, and needed First Division Football to attract fans to their new home. He was later to admit some underhand dealings, allegedly including the bribing of some member clubs to vote for Arsenal's inclusion. They duly won the vote and Barnsley were consigned to the second tier of English Football for another 8 decades.

The club did however come close to reaching the top division in the early years, such as in 1922 where they missed promotion on goal difference decided by just one goal. From the thirties up to the fifties the club found themselves sliding between the Second and Third Division, and in the sixties and seventies they hovered around the Third and Fourth Division, still unable to break into the top two tiers of English football.

The eighties and early nineties saw the club get back on track, earn promotion and once again establish themselves as a strong Division Two side as they had been in their early history, eventually reaching a position to once again start challenging for a place in the top tier for the very first time.

In the 96-97 season, Barnsley were promoted to the Premier League, this was the first time in their history they had competed in the top division. In the ensuing years, the club was not nearly as successful, with relegation to the third tier and administration, which threatened the existence of the club. Like a number of other clubs, they suffered massively due to the 'ITV digital crisis'. An 11th hour purchase, by the then mayor Peter Doyle, prevented the club from folding.

Barnsley, like Doncaster and Rotherham, suffer hugely from being so close to Sheffield- thus, many of their potential supporters end up rooting for Sheffield teams, rather than Barnsley. Similar to Blackburn and Darwen folk rooting for Man United or Liverpool.....

Thus, this has an impact on their attendances, with them being on average the 5th lowest in the division (11,834).

Some Famous Barnsley fans (though the barrel has been well and truly scraped for this!!)

Sir Michael Parkinson (chat show host)

Dickie Bird (cricket umpire)

Darren Gough (former cricketer, and not so closet pretend Spurs fan)

Ian Kelsey (Actor)

Shaun Dooley (Actor)

Played for both (that I can recall/find)

Ashley Ward

Craig Hignett

Paul Warhurst

Steve Agnew

Our hosts this week haven't had a great season, indeed, recently dispensing of David Flitcroft on a day when several other Championship clubs were doing the same, and to be honest, I was half-expecting Venky's to send Gary Bowyer his p45! Danny Wilson has gone back there, having previously presided over their promotion to the Premiership in the 1996/1997 season. Wilson was re-instated on the 17th of December, and results have been mixed since his return, with 2 draws, 2 losses, and a solitary win last time out against Blackpool, which led to the departure of their manager Paul Ince, shame that.

Anyway, whilst they haven't had the traditional 'new manager bounce' as such, we should be VERY wary in my view, as they are 5 points adrift from safety at the minute, and are fighting for their lives.

I'm going for a nervy 1-0. COYB.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope King is fit so we can play him on one side and Taylor on the other, with Cairney alongside either Dabo if he signs in time or Evans if not, as I don't want to see Lowe or Williamson on the team sheet.

Rhodes and Gestede have to start, if Dann is back I would play him over Kilgallon and Kane should start over Henley who looks shaky.

• Moderation Lead

I'm unconvinced Kane is any better than Henley tbh, but Henley has been poor of late. Looks lightweight and shaky.

Re Mceveley, just checked on wiki, he's at Swindon now, been there a couple of years.

Should the title be Barnsley v Rovers ? As it stands it looks as though we are at home.

I got it bang on as usual with my predictions for the Forest thumping and Derby draw but I'm feeling optimistic about this one.

Rovers to win, probably 2-1, and get the promotion juices flowing again.

I'd go with...

Robinson

Kane Hanley kilgallon spurr

Mahoney Cairney Lowe Taylor

Gestede Rhodes

Risk with Mahoney but we need a fearless player for these types of games and he could be the man...

Please please play Cairney in the centre as he's wasted out right

Ps when is King back??

I'd like to know the answer too. If I get out of the office early enough I'll have a drive over.

There's nowt on the official site.

I don't think there will be a problem buying on the day based on the fact that when buying my ticket, I was informed that it is unreserved seating on Tuesday ... meaning we 'haven't troubled' our allocation.

I don't think there will be a problem buying on the day based on the fact that when buying my ticket, I was informed that it is unreserved seating on Tuesday ... meaning we 'haven't troubled' our allocation.

To be fair it'll be the first crap following for a while. Also as well as everyone being skint it may be the first slight sign that the regular travellers are starting to lose faith a bit. I really can't see anything but the same old tactics and another easy defeat. 3-1 to Barnsley.

Been to Oakwell once before but not to see Rovers. Like most stadiums with "new" stands it's completely sparse inside. I think we forget how luxurious Ewood still is!

I'm going with my Barnsley-supporting mate so I'll be in the home area for this one.

Give us a wave then :)

Been lots of times and there's always been a freezing wind especially on the open terracing they used to have

With Derby and Blackpool I have 800 miles driving already this week so can't make this one.

With this Dabo not having arrived, and Evans still not being quite there, I can only see a Lowe / Williams central 2. Another loss of points before the penny drops??!! I hope not.

Played for both (that I can recall/find)

Ashley Ward

Craig Hignett

Paul Warhurst

Steve Agnew

pretty sure you can add the mercurial David Speedie, and the less mercurial Alan Ainscow............

elsewhere folks have said Stuart Ripley played for Barnsley before coming to Rovers, but I'm sure he came from Boro' (age might be playing tricks though................).

Been to Oakwell once before but not to see Rovers. Like most stadiums with "new" stands it's completely sparse inside. I think we forget how luxurious Ewood still is!

I'm going with my Barnsley-supporting mate so I'll be in the home area for this one.

I reckon another draw is on the cards: 2-2.

I WENT IN THE HOME AREAS A COUPLE OF TIMES IN THE 80'S ;)

pretty sure you can add the mercurial David Speedie, and the less mercurial Alan Ainscow............

elsewhere folks have said Stuart Ripley played for Barnsley before coming to Rovers, but I'm sure he came from Boro' (age might be playing tricks though................).

Ripley played with Barnsley towards the end of his career, long after he left Rovers.

Archived