BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barnsley v Rovers Tuesday 28/01 19.45

K-Hod

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we should win we don't - usual topsy turvy stuff. Sad to wish Williamson injured/suspended, just so it forces GB's selection.....so he will no doubt start with the dynamic duo again, and Barnsley fight for their lives, and win, a la Donny earlier in season. Don't think much of grinding out results, but as it's on the line, why not go for it, we ain't going down, should we not try and make top 6?

Evans has returned to Full Training today. cant see him being on the bench yet.

my Rovers team would be: - Robinson; Kane, Hanley©, Kilgallon, Spurr; Taylor, Cairney, Lowe, King; Gestede, Rhodes.

bench:- Eastwood, Henley, Morris, Williamson, Dunn, Mahoney, Preston.

I'm going for 3-1 Rovers win.

Evans has returned to Full Training today. cant see him being on the bench yet.

my Rovers team would be: - Robinson; Kane, Hanley©, Kilgallon, Spurr; Taylor, Cairney, Lowe, King; Gestede, Rhodes.

bench:- Eastwood, Henley, Morris, Williamson, Dunn, Mahoney, Preston.

I'm going for 3-1 Rovers win.

To have Preston as a sub would be stupid when we have Leon Best on our books, even if he isn't very good he can have an impact whilst no sucker has yet took him away from us.

To have Preston as a sub would be stupid when we have Leon Best on our books, even if he isn't very good he can have an impact whilst no sucker has yet took him away from us.

dont know how many times you need to told that Best will never for us again. i agree with this. Best is suppose to has a massive attitude problem n clearly Bowyer doesnt want player like that at the club.

Give us a wave then :)

Been lots of times and there's always been a freezing wind especially on the open terracing they used to have

I went one New Years day and it was the coldest I've ever been at a Rovers match, which is some statement. It was during the miners strike,lots of One Arthur Scargill chants etc

• Backroom

dont know how many times you need to told that Best will never for us again. i agree with this. Best is suppose to has a massive attitude problem n clearly Bowyer doesnt want player like that at the club.

Let's be honest Chaddy you wake up in a morning with rovers tinted specs on (not always a bad thing)

You agreed when bowyer fined best, you agreed when he brought him back, you agree now he's dropped again.

I have no doubt if he was back in the squad you'd agree.

Nothing wrong with trusting the manager but blind support is something else.

As an aside Connor Mahoney links up with England tomorrow, not sure if that's after the game or not though.

I felt before the Derby game that if we are to retain any hope of staying in touch for a top 6 spot then we would need to take 7 points from the three games (Derby, Barnsley and Blackpool). So we have to win today, we are playing against one of the teams in the bottom three so I would like to see Rovers go out with a positive attitude and really take the game to Barnsley. If we sit back, all that will happen is that Barnsley will gain in confidence.

I have said all along that I don't think that we will get into top 6 this season, after the last 3 years this is a massive rebuilding job. Clubs like Forest, Derby and Leicester are doing well because the core of their squads have been together for 18-24 months, whilst we are going through a massive transitional period. All I wanted to see was an improvement on last season and thus far I have seen that so am relatively happy.

The Best situation is ugly. He certainly has the ability to offer us something in this division, sadly apart from the odd game he hasn't shown any motivation to do well. It is clear that there have been a number of disagreement between Bowyer and Best, with Bowyer finally running out of patience and sidelining him completely over the last couple of months. This is a situation where no one wins, we have a player that is on huge wages who isn't playing, other clubs know that so shifting him on reasonable terms is proving to be very difficult.

I felt before the Derby game that if we are to retain any hope of staying in touch for a top 6 spot then we would need to take 7 points from the three games (Derby, Barnsley and Blackpool). So we have to win today, we are playing against one of the teams in the bottom three so I would like to see Rovers go out with a positive attitude and really take the game to Barnsley. If we sit back, all that will happen is that Barnsley will gain in confidence.

I have said all along that I don't think that we will get into top 6 this season, after the last 3 years this is a massive rebuilding job. Clubs like Forest, Derby and Leicester are doing well because the core of their squads have been together for 18-24 months, whilst we are going through a massive transitional period. All I wanted to see was an improvement on last season and thus far I have seen that so am relatively happy.

The Best situation is ugly. He certainly has the ability to offer us something in this division, sadly apart from the odd game he hasn't shown any motivation to do well. It is clear that there have been a number of disagreement between Bowyer and Best, with Bowyer finally running out of patience and sidelining him completely over the last couple of months. This is a situation where no one wins, we have a player that is on huge wages who isn't playing, other clubs know that so shifting him on reasonable terms is proving to be very difficult.

Re: the Best situation I really can't get my head around it, he is clearly a distraction to have around the place hence he doesn't even get on the bench when we don't have any other strikers. I know we may get hit hard with offers but if somebody offered to pay £2-3k a week towards his wages he would be away from our club which would only be a positive. Him playing first team football will also give us a better chance of offloading him forever.

The only way we can get rid of Best is probably to pay him off as nobody will sign him if he's not playing and demanding high wages. Chicken and Egg

The ideal situation would be for Bowyer to select the positve line up he has at his disposal, put Barnsley to the sword, and then let Best have a run out for 20 minutes with the game already put to bed.

Or he could do what Souness did with Keith Gillespie. Loan him to a third or fourth division club for the remainder of the season to see if it serves as a wake up call. Once he sees what a lower league player has he may decide that he has to change his ways.

I doubt it'll work as he seems either too thick or too up himself to realise what he has done to his career.

Re: the Best situation I really can't get my head around it, he is clearly a distraction to have around the place hence he doesn't even get on the bench when we don't have any other strikers. I know we may get hit hard with offers but if somebody offered to pay £2-3k a week towards his wages he would be away from our club which would only be a positive. Him playing first team football will also give us a better chance of offloading him forever.

2-3k off of £35k per week? What's the point? I'm sure you'd be looking to at least negotiate the other club paying 1/3 of his wages.

The fact that we're even discussing this gives justification as to just how appalling our transfer policy was before last summer.

- £90k or more p/w plus £11.5m for 3 strikers in the Championship.

- £2m and the best part of £80k p/w for a central midfield pairing of two has been plodders from Fulham.

2-3k off of £35k per week? What's the point? I'm sure you'd be looking to at least negotiate the other club paying 1/3 of his wages.

The fact that we're even discussing this gives justification as to just how appalling our transfer policy was before last summer.

- £2m and the best part of £80k p/w for a central midfield pairing of two has been plodders from Fulham.

and the £25,000 + for a scumbag full back from QPR

My point being we would have OBVIOUSLY tried to get 1/3 or more wage covered by another club but him being here full stop can't be good for morale. I'm saying taking any figure would be better than paying him 100% of his wages, just get the pillock out of here.

I would definitely bring in Kane for Henley. IMO RB is a problematic area as both aren't up to the job, but Kane has the edge for me because at least he's decent going forward. Henley is being picked on, game after game, so I'd get him out of the firing line.

I'd personally like to see us line up as we did against Yeovil away, which would unfortunately mean us dropping Gestede (King for Marshall too). We were murdering them first half with Dunn in behind Rhodes and Cairney lining up in CM. I just feel that we need Dunny's creativity, and with both he and Cairney in the side we will carve a good number of chances. Bring on Gestede (who has done nothing wrong) for Rhodes in the 2nd half.

James McEveley is another that played for both. I swear he used to be really highly rated? I wonder what happened there.

Didn't he have a series of rather serious knee injuries. Seem to remember him being sidelined for 6 months or so while at Rovers, when he was 18 years old or so. Loaned out to Derby (?) after the first injury, but then got injured again during his loan there.

May be my mind playing tricks on me, though. It is rather a long time ago now...

Didn't he have a series of rather serious knee injuries. Seem to remember him being sidelined for 6 months or so while at Rovers, when he was 18 years old or so. Loaned out to Derby (?) after the first injury, but then got injured again during his loan there.

May be my mind playing tricks on me, though. It is rather a long time ago now...

I think he dislocated his knee cap and was out for quite some time if I remember right

Jay McEveley was indeed a real good young prospect but that bad injury slowed him up somewhat and he struggled after that. Always remember him marking Beckham out of a game at Ewood when he was in his pomp at Utd, nearly put him into the stand at one point to great delight all round :)

Archived