BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season Tickets and Stand Closures

Personally id go with crazy low price tickets and free tickets for kids.... for me the brand needs rebuilding, don't buy this "if the price is too low" nonsense... get the feel good factor & atmosphere back.

How are the car park revenues?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be just me, but I've always thought the upper tier of a stadium being the family section is strange (I'm sure many other clubs use upper tiers as well though) surely kids would want to be closer to the action and be able to try and interact with the players etc. I know when I was a lad I always wanted to be near the front. The JW lower towards the BBE would be ideal I think.

Hi, this was discussed at the FF last week.

No final decision has been made on any closures, but the thought behind it is so that fans are closer together, resulting in an improved atmosphere. It hasn't really got anything to do with cost saving.

They want to balance this against the possibility of upsetting supporters and possible non-renewals. It does seem they won't be able to win either way on this one despite the good intentions. So it's a case of wait and see I suppose. Personally, a part of the JW stand would be the better option as those affected could be re-located to a similar seat on the opposite half of the stand (I repeat, that is just a personal view).

ST details will be released once we know what division we will be in next season, though we probably know the answer to that already following the Yeovil game.

An improved atmosphere?! Random. Lets be honest, there's never been a 'great atmosphere' at Ewood. Of course it has been much better, and there have been games when Ewood was rocking (during good times!), but its never been a place where the whole stadium is singing regardless week in and week out. I don't think making people sit closer to each other is going to make the atmosphere better.

Might be just me, but I've always thought the upper tier of a stadium being the family section is strange (I'm sure many other clubs use upper tiers as well though) surely kids would want to be closer to the action and be able to try and interact with the players etc. I know when I was a lad I always wanted to be near the front. The JW lower towards the BBE would be ideal I think.

I guess it was originally a commercial decision. JW gave free STs to under 8s, very cheap to under 16s in the family stand. My guess is the upper tier BBE was seen as the least popular stand all those years back so using it for the cheapest STs maximised revenue elsewhere and helped to fill a stand which might otherwise have been sparsely populated.

Hi, this was discussed at the FF last week.

No final decision has been made on any closures, but the thought behind it is so that fans are closer together, resulting in an improved atmosphere. It hasn't really got anything to do with cost saving.

They want to balance this against the possibility of upsetting supporters and possible non-renewals. It does seem they won't be able to win either way on this one despite the good intentions. So it's a case of wait and see I suppose. Personally, a part of the JW stand would be the better option as those affected could be re-located to a similar seat on the opposite half of the stand (I repeat, that is just a personal view).

ST details will be released once we know what division we will be in next season, though we probably know the answer to that already following the Yeovil game.

There is a little community of fans who have become friends around where I sit. About a dozen of us. Start forcefully splitting us up and moving us where we do not want to go and you risk losing the lot of us. The way things are on the pitch at the moment it could be all it takes.

All this debate would be academic if we were winning games and fans felt that promotion was at least a possibility.

When was the last time we had a positive goal difference or weren't fighting relegation. The cynicism of fans is understandable but the ground would be two thirds full and cynicism dissipated if we can create a winning team.

Penny wise, Pound foolish.

The impending return of Best, Goodwillie and the return of Campbell speaks volumes about the clubs past mistakes. This is the real concern. Wrong target. Reminds me of the benefit cuts to fund the mistakes of City bankers. Or, as the NHS would have it: operation successful but patient dead.

There's a certain irony that the man who cost the club nearly 1 million and was rewarded by keeping his job is in charge of looking at what savings can be made

Agreed. I'm surprised Burnley Bob hasn't spoken out about it.

How are the car park revenues?

Well Rovers don't get mine any more. I used to park on the BBE car park some 150 meters from the ground. The prices kept going up so I now park behind a mates house for nowt just up the road from the Brown Cow. I also get home quicker.

I hear the FF discussed the stand closures last time they met. Do the FF consult any more with fans, such as via this web site? This is a serious question not a go at the FF.

I don't want to sit in the lower tier of anywhere. I don't like it. I also prefer to sit at the end rather than at the side. Don't know why as I'm sure you see more from the side but I've always done it and it's part of the deal. Start taking away people's choices and more people will simply choose not to attend.

Well Rovers don't get mine any more. I used to park on the BBE car park some 150 meters from the ground. The prices kept going up so I now park behind a mates house for nowt just up the road from the Brown Cow. I also get home quicker.

I still park on the BBE car park. It's half empty.

Ben, have the club made any noises on a safe standing area?

That surely would be a decent way to improve the noise?

Anyway, get a winning team on the pitch, that'll help the most of all.

I'm conscious (even at this time) Abbs is around, and I despise the dark lords (but not quite to the same extent!), what pricing policy "they" will have next season. £20 on this years price, will make no difference. They can't hike it up too much or no one will buy.

Of their own making by ignoring us (whilst still bankrolling us?)

They really need to go the other way......find ways of getting more bums on seats. The atmosphere by and large has been dreadful.

Home form hasn't been brilliant. We cannot shut down anywhere, sends out the wrong signal. We can't promote a standing area as we don't have one! Converting the lower DE to a German model would be good? Limit the away fans to upper only, would keep them quieter. Just some thoughts.

I hear the FF discussed the stand closures last time they met. Do the FF consult any more with fans, such as via this web site? This is a serious question not a go at the FF.

They had a meeting with the club last Monday or Tuesday i think, the minutes of that meeting should be on their website www.roversfansforum.co.uk

I am not sure what was on the agenda thought as i never so it this time (sure i have usually though).

I know our committee discussed stand closures last month with the club and there was talk of closing the upper tier Blackburn End to both reduce costs and because their is a belief that the family stand should be more closer to the tunnel area to allow more interaction between the younger supporters and the players.

Edit: Meeting was last Monday but it appears the site hasn't been updated with the minutes yet sorry.

They had a meeting with the club last Monday or Tuesday i think, the minutes of that meeting should be on their website www.roversfansforum.co.uk

I am not sure what was on the agenda thought as i never so it this time (sure i have usually though).

I know our committee discussed stand closures last month with the club and there was talk of closing the upper tier Blackburn End to both reduce costs and because their is a belief that the family stand should be more closer to the tunnel area to allow more interaction between the kids and the players.

Edit: Meeting was last Monday but it appears the site hasn't been updated with the minutes yet sorry.

Will there actually be a vote, or a fait accompli? Will those in the FS get a say. Great saying kids will be near the players, but I can just imagine the players being irritated, the parents being irritated, and a crap view!

They aren't there yet as I only finished writing them this afternoon! They should be there in the next day or so. On stand closures my impression is that whilst the club have consider changes I would be surprised if anything significant happens next season.

They really need to go the other way......find ways of getting more bums on seats. The atmosphere by and large has been dreadful.

This is spot on, unfortunately.

I quite like Hughesy's idea of £80 season tickets and free kids. That would put new bums on seats to replace the old ones Venkys lost us.

Season tickets were due to be £50 next season, had we been promoted. The planned lost revenue was small change compared to PL money. But by the same token, the lost revenue from £80 plus free kids is loose change compared to our overall losses.

Something needs to happen to bring in the support and improve the atmosphere, and it sure ain't Bowyer's brand of football.

I can't help but disagree with this £80 / cheap STs approach. I understand the logic re next season and the PL but when announced it doesn't seem to have stimulated demand for our current season.

For one thing people have to believe promotion is a realistic possibility. I don't but then the offer won't make a difference to my purchase if STs.

This is a very slippery slope. In my opinion it's commercial suicide to reduce prices to this level. By all means create a bundle / deal / special offer etc. but do not drop the price. Once a low price is established moving back up again is next to impossible without alienating customers. Believe me I know from years of experience.

I always thought JW's low cost STs to be a potential problem and it is now. STs are never going to rise to a comparable level with other clubs. Rovers effectively subsidise every fan and it's unlikely to stop.

We have around 10,000 ST holders. To be generous imagine they all pay full price, they don't now, which at £80 generates £800,000 pa. In Rovers wildest dreams imagine the figure doubled, it's only an increase of £800k.

It would be simpler, possibly even cheaper as we don't know the cost of administering STs and ticket sales, to open the gates and let all fans in for free.

As a fan I'm not against cheap STs and tickets. I understand the local economy probably can't stand higher prices. Even cheaper tickets are not the answer.

JW always said success on the pitch is THE solution. Which is why he and TF put every penny available into the team.

Archived