BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Yeovil - Good Friday

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of Paul Robinson's comments about settling for a point, a mate who I sit with in jw stand noticed something. With 5 minutes to go, instead of screaming at the team to get forward and score, bowyer gave instructions to our full backs to tuck in!!

Those are the kind of instructions you give when you are defending a lead against a good team. Not when you should be desperate for a win against a poor side.

On a separate note, In order to beat a cagey tight side like Yeovil, we needed to stretch them, and to stretch sides you need to make full use of the width of the pitch. However we have a right footer on the left wing and a left footer on the right who always comes inside, and so the pitch narrows, playing right into Yeovil's hands. Why didn't bowyer just swap them around?! It's not rocket science.

I can imagine not being at the game that Lowe and Williamson will have played to their full potential during this game.

What is Bowyer doing when does the penny drop for him regarding these two.

When the penny drops with you that one can often look stupid commenting on things that you don't actually see. The above post is is one of them. Spurr got crocked after half an hour and Lowe went to RB.

On the subject of Paul Robinson's comments about settling for a point, a mate who I sit with in jw stand noticed something. With 5 minutes to go, instead of screaming at the team to get forward and score, bowyer gave instructions to our full backs to tuck in!!

Those are the kind of instructions you give when you are defending a lead against a good team. Not when you should be desperate for a win against a poor side.

On a separate note, In order to beat a cagey tight side like Yeovil, we needed to stretch them, and to stretch sides you need to make full use of the width of the pitch. However we have a right footer on the left wing and a left footer on the right who always comes inside, and so the pitch narrows, playing right into Yeovil's hands. Why didn't bowyer just swap them around?! It's not rocket science.

You might well ask. I never did like that tactic anyway and neither winger was having any luck against his full back. Switching them was obviously the way to go. Right footer + right wing = more crosses.

imo it's instructions frequently given when the other team has possession.

Your second paragraph is valid though.

Inexplicable poor performance, still should have won given chances. Few headers I remember and a couple of overload situations second half when decision-making/end product was seriously lacking. Don't know if shoving all those attacking players on helped or hindered the situation but I suppose it had to be done given situation. Looked a little more lively with Dunn & King on the pitch, probably should have been brought on earlier given the first half and early stages of second half. Crowd obviously frustrated, never really got behind team. Visible lack of urgency makes it feels worse, I'm sure the players were trying but it just didn't happen. Genuine disappointment at full-time, players sunk to the floor, golden opportunity to get back in contention squandered. 9 games unbeaten.

Which is what I was getting at before roversfan99 leapt on his white charger.

Allardyce likes to play inverted wingers. Long ball up to the front-man and have the wide players cut in so they can help win the second balls. Rather than playing with traditional wingers and getting behind the opposition. Wouldn't surprise me if Bowyer's trying to replicate something similar and failing miserably.

Evans really did not take his chance yesterday.

For a player so blighted by injury this season I thought he did ok in another first game back. Wasn't 100 percent which I hope is why he started on the bench.

He is the one midfielder we have who can tackle, run with the ball and pick a pass.

Hard for one player when the rest of the team was awful.

Fair point but I'm not going to pretend he was any better than Lowe on the back of that.

For a player so blighted by injury this season I thought he did ok in another first game back. Wasn't 100 percent which I hope is why he started on the bench.

He is the one midfielder we have who can tackle, run with the ball and pick a pass.

I think you do Williamson a disservice.

Chelsea lost at home to bottom club Sunderland.....so that's José out of the next rovers manager reckoning!

Chelsea must be rubbish, they lost to bottom of league sunderland! Threw away the title, just like how rovers failed to beat yeovil and blew play off chance.....these things happen and playing teams at the bottom at this time in the season are the hardest games!

Woooow... You're REALLY going there?

Which is what I was getting at before roversfan99 leapt on his white charger.Allardyce likes to play inverted wingers. Long ball up to the front-man and have the wide players cut in so they can help win the second balls. Rather than playing with traditional wingers and getting behind the opposition. Wouldn't surprise me if Bowyer's trying to replicate something similar and failing miserably.

As a defender when I played I know which style of winger I would prefer playing against. I'd show them inside any day. Watch how many goals result from wide players getting around the defence.

I think you do Williamson a disservice.

I really don't rate him. I think he is slow and generally poor.

To his credit he isn't afraid to get stuck in.

League oner along with Jase the ...... but please don't tell Thenodrog.

When the penny drops with you that one can often look stupid commenting on things that you don't actually see. The above post is is one of them. Spurr got crocked after half an hour and Lowe went to RB.

Fine so how did he do ? How many passes did Robbo get

One thing that is blatantly apparent in the team is the lack of pace. The game yesterday was not only frustrating to watch, but also boring. No quick change in play until Dunny came on and even then, a lack of width didnt open up Yeovil at all.

One area on the pitch Yeovil are vunerable is left back, McAllister is 35, slow and prone to a mistake. Bowyer opts to put a left footed CM on the right, which gave no threat at all. Not blaming Cairney, but surely King, or even Feeney would have been better.

I just hope Bowyer just goes for broke now and pushes Cairney into the middle with Evans. Nothing to lose in the final games now, give King or Feeney a shot on the wing to provide some old fashion crosses for the forwards. Might just give us some excitement....

Chelsea must be rubbish, they lost to bottom of league sunderland! Threw away the title, just like how rovers failed to beat yeovil and blew play off chance.....these things happen and playing teams at the bottom at this time in the season are the hardest gamesSha

Superb. You're comparing a team that's just lost its first home league game in 3+years. If Rovers had 50% of the amount of wins at home that chelsea have had had in that period.....

It's not just failing to beat Yeovil, add Charlton, Huddersfield, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Shef Weds,

Then surrendering leads against Brighton, Derby and Burnley.

• Backroom

Chelsea must be rubbish, they lost to bottom of league sunderland! Threw away the title, just like how rovers failed to beat yeovil and blew play off chance.....these things happen and playing teams at the bottom at this time in the season are the hardest games!

If rovers had already qualified for the playoffs but were Close to the top 2 and failed to win then you would have a point

As it were we look like getting nothing at all and failed to beat a Yeovil side that didn't even look overly bothered about the match in fact we didn't even stretch them

Archived