BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

One of the problems of having so many academy graduates progressing to the first team means we have a season where we have majority under 18 players. I seem to remember this happening 5 or 6 years ago, could be longer though.

It will be really interesting to look back in 18 months time and sew how many of those who have been involved in the first xi so far have 30 - 40 or so appearances, I'm going to wager on 3. Wharton, Gilsenan and possibly O'Grady-Macken or Michalski the keeper.

4 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

One of the problems of having so many academy graduates progressing to the first team means we have a season where we have majority under 18 players. I seem to remember this happening 5 or 6 years ago, could be longer though.

It will be really interesting to look back in 18 months time and sew how many of those who have been involved in the first xi so far have 30 - 40 or so appearances, I'm going to wager on 3. Wharton, Gilsenan and possibly O'Grady-Macken or Michalski the keeper.

In 18 months time Wharton and Gilsenan will probably no-longer be at the Rovers.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

In 18 months time Wharton and Gilsenan will probably no-longer be at the Rovers.

Obviously we expect Wharton to be sold on, but why is it you think Gilsenan won't be here? You don't think he is good enough to make it? Personally I think he has a chance.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Obviously we expect Wharton to be sold on, but why is it you think Gilsenan won't be here? You don't think he is good enough to make it? Personally I think he has a chance.

Gilsenan shows a little bit more than most others at U21s. If he has the right attitude he could make a go of the championship. I can see a club coming in with a cheeky bid for him and the Rovers taking it.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2023 at 15:20, rigger said:

Gilsenan shows a little bit more than most others at U21s. If he has the right attitude he could make a go of the championship. I can see a club coming in with a cheeky bid for him and the Rovers taking it.

That doesn't fit the model. 

Burns has had an interesting trajectory since leaving in the summer... Greek 2nd division Panachaiki (no appearances) to Northern Premier League Divison One (Level 8) Bootle (think I saw he got a couple goals in a few games there) to NW Counties Premier Division (Level 9) Bury... 

If you feel like watching highlights of Northern Premier League Marine getting pumped 5-1 in the FA Cup First Round by League 2 Harrogate Town - by my simplistic analysis, we could then be expected to beat Marine 13-1 - with our Felix Goddard in net: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67279025 Uh, caught out a little bit on that 2nd goal... An odd loan, but I'd guess he's just there for game days to shout at / be shouted at by overweight 35+ CBs, while still training with Benson and Co. Marine did actually manage a few decent chances...

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The lads that should be playing are with the first team squad. It’s crazy playing both games on the same day.

It doesn't matter, because there is no relegation now. It just means that it is not worth paying to go and see. 

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

It doesn't matter, because there is no relegation now. It just means that it is not worth paying to go and see. 

I think it matters in the sense that getting pasted every week isn't going to be good for the development of our young players (which is the lifeblood of the club lately). Add that to the lack of competitiveness due to no relegation, I can see our conveyer belt slowing down.

Rory Finneran sounds like he's going to be a star (not that he's playing for the U21s yet as he's only 15), but I'm not hearing much fresh excitement about the approaching crop. Obviously we have the usual suspects who have pretty much broken into the squad, and the likes of Atcheson and Gamble who seem to be on the fringes (although I think that's more due to necessity than great promise). Looking at the lads who played today, there's probably only Weston who I've heard any buzz about at any point. And tbf it's going to be hard for any to shine and impress the gaffer or others if we get turned over every week.

Another late home defeat for the U21s, this time in the PL Cup. Must have felt inspired by the first team's late home loss...

Leonard and Batty scored in a 3-2 defeat to Sheff U. Batty sent off in the 96th minute (two minutes after Sheff U's winner).

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Another late home defeat for the U21s, this time in the PL Cup. Must have felt inspired by the first team's late home loss...

Leonard and Batty scored in a 3-2 defeat to Sheff U. Batty sent off in the 96th minute (two minutes after Sheff U's winner).

Although we didn't play well we should have won given the number of presentable chances we missed (sounds familiar doesn't it) including a penalty miss by Gilsenan. Although Leonard scored an earlier penalty he should have scored a couple more and although his movement to find space and running in behind is good it's clear he needs more work on his finishing. There were three penalties in total and Sheffield United missed theirs and to be fair they also missed some decent chances. I think the point is coming where decisions will need to be made on some of the squad and in truth I don't think many of them will make it here. Batty was sent off for two yellow cards but I couldn't tell what the first one was for. His second was a rash challenge and deserved.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Good job they scrapped the relegation a few on here were railing against 😬

The way I look at it is, they are losing more games because there is not much to play for. This may or may not be true, it is just what I think.

Edited by rigger

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

How does that work if it’s the same competition rules for every team?

because last season you had to get a certain amount of points not to be relegated. Our lack of skill throughout the U23s could be made up for, with shear graft, to gain those points. This season that doesn't matter, so it is a human traite not to put the same effort in.