BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

22 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Never said you said it would. Point is if he is fit enough to warm up with the first team but didn't play, he really should be in the u21s the next day. Not going to develop just doing training and warm ups.

It's a fair point

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought he did ok after a very shaky first 10 minutes. Has he been seen since ?

No. Just on the bench and warm ups. Pointless loan tbh

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rochdale_rover said:

This is all well and good be we do the same to teams lower in the ladder

We took tyjon from my local team Rochdale.

We should just have them on the bench giving minutes here and there instead of playing shit loanees

I get your point, but it still sucks giant balls, also as we are higher in divisions and stature than Rochdale there's a LOT more potential money at stake when we lose one of our quality academy players for virtually nothing 

On 08/05/2024 at 16:51, rob_of_the_rovers said:

Gent should definitely be given a chance in pre-season to prove whether he should be in and around the first team squad

And if he’s not it makes an absolute mockery out of us loaning players out. He’s gone out and been arguably their best player for a season whilst playing at a good level. He should be pushing for a starting position this season now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

A good player at right-back or right wing-back. He will be cover for if we play four at the back, or three at the back.

He's never played a second of senior football. Like Batty, I'll believe it when I see it at this point.

Can't go into the season with him as the primary RB backup.

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's never played a second of senior football. Like Batty, I'll believe it when I see it at this point.

Can't go into the season with him as the primary RB backup.

Nobody has played senior football until they have. We will probably go into the new season with Duru as cover for right back, and wing back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

Duru has signed a new contract until 2026 with an option for a further year

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/may/13/duru-deal-extended/

The outstanding prospect in the Under-21's. Has made real progress this season and I believe will be challenging for a first team spot next season.  Has pace to burn, tackles well when defending, and always looks a threat going forward.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The outstanding prospect in the Under-21's. Has made real progress this season and I believe will be challenging for a first team spot next season.  Has pace to burn, tackles well when defending, and always looks a threat going forward.

I agree Leo has great potential, he is strong and powerful driving forward and the attacking side of his game has come on leaps and bounds this season. I've been watching him for a while now and I believe he isn't far off the first team, couldn't see him being a player that needs to go out on loan to gain experience but I could be wrong on that. 

A lot of really exciting talent emerging from the academy the future is bright from that stand point. 

Edited by FourFourTwo
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How long will it be before Palace come around again with their handful of magic beans.

I must admit I'm not a Rovers fan but I have a keen interest for other reasons but perhaps this is why I see it from a different perspective, the academy that the club have is truly fantastic whichever way you look at it, you only have to see how impressive the numbers have been from academy graduates to the first team over the years. Unfortunately this now means that it's probably their biggest business asset also, yes, there's players like Sammie who could go for a small fortune this summer and you couldn't blame the lad for wanting his big move after the season he has had, when it comes to the academy I believe the club can profit hugely from their academy. This shows with the Wharton sale in January. 

Would the fans be happy with this? It's never nice losing the talent that you have produced and never really seeing their true potential at the club that raised them. However, from a financial perspective it could very much keep the club in good stead. 

The issue with that is would you see the financial gain invested back into the club or the academy going forward and that is something I'd be unsure of especially in the current publicised state of affairs. 

Nevertheless I believe all Rovers fans should be extremely proud of their academy, "The House That Jack Built", as it's probably his true legacy. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Money from sales has always been invested to some degree in the past. Not always wisely, but that’s another story. Some went towards new signings and some went on running the club, paying the bills etc. I get the feeling with this mob that nothing will be spent on new players other than financing free transfers. 

On another point - the flow of good young players is never constant. You can get a glut sometimes but you can always get years were none of the young players can make the step up.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Money from sales has always been invested to some degree in the past. Not always wisely, but that’s another story. Some went towards new signings and some went on running the club, paying the bills etc. I get the feeling with this mob that nothing will be spent on new players other than financing free transfers. 

On another point - the flow of good young players is never constant. You can get a glut sometimes but you can always get years were none of the young players can make the step up.

I understand your latter point, however I think if we look back over the last 4 years we are seeing at least 1 player from each year group who has real true potential... Wharton, Duru/Batty/Ash Phillips, Tom Atchenson (This year), (next season) Tyjon, Finneran and not forgetting David Dunns lad who has great potential in my opinion. I probably could go on, ultimately you are correct not all of them will live up to potential but I do think there's a good buck to me made if you strike soon enough. 

Posted (edited)

The club used to recruit youth players widely from Scotland and Ireland, especially. It was how we got Duff, Hanley, Treacy, Alan Judge, Jon Douglas, etc. That seems to have mostly halted, though there are some occasionally brought in. I wonder if investment in that sort of scouting would be beneficial, though, I'm sure the competition is fierce and likely the pool not huge.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1