BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Think I saw that Walker's been dealing with an injury, but a quick perusal of Oldham's forum suggests he hasn't impressed much in his limited minutes. Don't think he's one to hold out much hope for anyway. Think his contract is done at the end of the year, so presumably he'll be off.

Bloxham's lack of gametime is disappointing. It was mostly a function of our threadbare squad, but he did make our bench a number of times and JDT gave him a couple subs. Seems he was at least getting thrown on as a sub fairly regularly at Harrogate, but that seemed to stop and now not even making the bench. Can't find any word as to why.

On the positive side:

- Charlie Weston's had 4 starts + 1 sub since his loan to Kidderminster. Had a quick look on their forum and they seem to like him and are resigned to him not returning with their relegation to NLN.

- Vale and Gent establishing themselves as starters at Motherwell is probably the best story of our loans. Their manager was recently quoted saying he'd love to have them back:

Gent's played enough (League: 14 starts + 10 subs 1 goal 3 assists, and now firmly a starter, plus 2 starts and a goal in the Cup) that you'd have to figure he'll get a look as to whether he's ready to provide LB depth next year.

We have our reasons to doubt Vale (League: 8 starts + 2 subs, 2 goals 2 assists, plus a goal in a Cup sub), but even if he's not in our plans, he may have at least shown he's worth a small fee for a lower league side? He's signed until 2025 + an option, so presumbly Eustace will get a look at him first.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 5

Good to hear that Vale is impressing. He turns 24 next year, so I think it's best for all concerned that he goes elsewhere to play regular games. We won't get much for him, but maybe a couple of hundred grand and a decent sell on is better than we would've managed in January. 

• Like 1

Would you keep Telalovic or Vale? I think Vale has a more impressive record so I would keep Vale if we were to keep one of them. I haven't seen enough of either this season to make a decision though...

• Like 1

And now a goal for Weston (play starts from 2:34 below). Looking like a nice little loan for him to get some men's football with a flailing Kidderminster.

I recognise the name but I don't recall much hype about him... Checking now, he did make our bench a few times this year. Played for England U-16s. Turns 20 in the summer.

edit: updated the YT vid as the previous one went 'private' for some reason...

Edited by RoverCanada

Rovers under 21's play Arsenal at Ewood tonight. If I was Eustace I would be insisting on Koumetio and O'Riordan playing with a view to seeing if they can play against Coventry in Saturday. We desperately need some pace at centre half and aside from Carter we have none. However I don't for one second think either will play. Eustace likes his experienced players irrespective of his badly they are playing. Hopefully Michalski plays too.

37 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Rovers under 21's play Arsenal at Ewood tonight. If I was Eustace I would be insisting on Koumetio and O'Riordan playing with a view to seeing if they can play against Coventry in Saturday. We desperately need some pace at centre half and aside from Carter we have none. However I don't for one second think either will play. Eustace likes his experienced players irrespective of his badly they are playing. Hopefully Michalski plays too.

I was told Koumetio is a bit of a running joke at Brockhall between the players and coaches. He's absolutely terrible and at this point is essentially here to be used for shape drills.

On 21/04/2024 at 02:48, Hannoverover said:

Would you keep Telalovic or Vale? I think Vale has a more impressive record so I would keep Vale if we were to keep one of them. I haven't seen enough of either this season to make a decision though...

I wouldn't pick either of them in my Monday night 6 a side league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

I was told Koumetio is a bit of a running joke at Brockhall between the players and coaches. He's absolutely terrible and at this point is essentially here to be used for shape drills.

And yet he is on the bench ahead of O'Riordan. In truth both have been signings which have offered nothing with one of them costing a reported £500k. Once again questions have to be asked about recruitment.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And yet he is on the bench ahead of O'Riordan. In truth both have been signings which have offered nothing with one of them costing a reported £500k. Once again questions have to be asked about recruitment.

won't O'Riordan be playing tonight? 

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

won't O'Riordan be playing tonight? 

He probably will but he wasn't signed to play for the under 21's. We signed three centre halves in January and between them they probably haven't reached double figures in first team appearances.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He probably will but he wasn't signed to play for the under 21's. We signed three centre halves in January and between them they probably haven't reached double figures in first team appearances.

O'Riordan was signed with the future in mine though to be fair, bought for his potential.

You don't see many under 21 centre halves coming from league 2 and straight into the action for a Championship side.

Only in time will we see if that money was well spent or not .I do take the argument that the fee could have been used on a player more ready to aid us this season but what does 500k in installments get you these days 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J*B said:

He will fit like a glove down at Brockhall then ! If he is that bad, why is he at Liverpool ?

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

A friend of mine who is a big Newport County fan and very knowledgeable, sent me a text when we had signed O’Riordan saying he was a very good player. Obviously, we have barely seen him in a Blue and white shirt yet but he has certainly picked him as one for the future.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

O'Riordan was signed with the future in mine though to be fair, bought for his potential.

You don't see many under 21 centre halves coming from league 2 and straight into the action for a Championship side.

Only in time will we see if that money was well spent or not .I do take the argument that the fee could have been used on a player more ready to aid us this season but what does 500k in installments get you these days 

When funds are low and you are in a relegation battle surely you are better of spending those little funds that you have on someone who can help you in that relegation battle. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

When funds are low and you are in a relegation battle surely you are better of spending those little funds that you have on someone who can help you in that relegation battle. 

Only at a normally run club.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Agreed but are there many players that could have been signed for £500 k(in installments) in January and the likely low wage that O'Riordan will be on that could have had an immediate impact?

We had been trying to get that O'Riordan deal done early doors in January and reported we tried last summer so was a long term target of the club and could potentially still be a good signing longer term.

We didn't have a pot to piss in as evidenced by who came in in January, so agree the money could have been spent on someone that was ready to play now but I'd have no confidence they would have been any good like the rest of our January signings and the majority of our summer signings with the exception of Tronstad and to a lesser extent Hill

3 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

He will fit like a glove down at Brockhall then ! If he is that bad, why is he at Liverpool ?

came through their academy as a young lad,unfortunately he`s not turned out to be very good,it happens at every club,the big question is,why is he here,he`s blocking the way of some our own young players,atcheson and o`riordon a couple of examples,surely they`de be better on the bench than him,our recruitment is criminally shocking imo

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

Yes we did, but JDT wanted more centre backs so he could go 3 at the back. 

I want to see more O'Riordan and I thought he would have been on the bench ahead of the Liverpool loanee. 

5 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

A friend of mine who is a big Newport County fan and very knowledgeable, sent me a text when we had signed O’Riordan saying he was a very good player. Obviously, we have barely seen him in a Blue and white shirt yet but he has certainly picked him as one for the future.

Just after he signed here, Gary Bowyer was on Radio Lancs singing O'Riordan praises and said we got a good player here.