BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

How's Alex Curran doing these days parsons.

He's been out on loan at Fleetwood and I have heard he has had a trial with another club but is back in the fold now. Haven't really seen much of him. He had a nasty injury last season and I thought they might give him an extra year - as they usually do with lads who have a bad injury - but haven't heard anything as yet. What I saw of him early season looked quite promising but he seems to have been edged out and as the Under-18's are having a decent season I'm not sure how he will force his way back in.

We are in agreement at last Jal - long may it continue! Chaddy, Jal is absolutely correct in saying that Joe has worked mainly with Billy Barr prior to this season.

I was talking this season and the encourage by Johnson and Dunn give him. The Burnley home game both encouraging him lots

Cheers guys, I like the sound of that. We've seen lots of centre backs, full backs, keepers and defensive midfielders and not much attacking intent from the academy in the past few years. The academy is an advantage we will have as long as it's still kept running, so it's probably going to be what defines our near future!

Something quite alluring about a team with a solid base of home grown talents.

I have been thinking long and hard about where we are going or what the Venky/agent plan may be.

The scenario that makes most sense is as follows.

The academy has been funded continually throughout the Venky reign. We have a decent development squad who could, as has been shown in the cup games, hold their own against league 2 opposition. At the moment though, you could not expect that group to compete in the championship.

All the players within this group, will be on low wages (comparatively).

If we are relegated to the third or fourth tier, the 'current squad could be disbanded and replaced by the development squad. This would have a massive impact on the wage structure and streamlining of the club. To some extent, this may result in the club no longer accumulating yearly debt.

So why is this of any benefit to the owners?

Any player that performs well, will then command a fee, regardless of where they move to. Any decent prospects will play a few games, then be moved on for a fee. It would also become a window for 'free' players from overseas to put themselves in the shop window.

Lots of low cost players, on low wages, just needing 2 or 3 a year to move for decent money. Low running costs, with a high turnover of players and contracts.

Surely nobody would benefit from that scenario....would they?

It may also give some pointers as to why relegation is of no apparent concern.

Just a hypothesis!

• Like 2

He's been out on loan at Fleetwood and I have heard he has had a trial with another club but is back in the fold now. Haven't really seen much of him. He had a nasty injury last season and I thought they might give him an extra year - as they usually do with lads who have a bad injury - but haven't heard anything as yet. What I saw of him early season looked quite promising but he seems to have been edged out and as the Under-18's are having a decent season I'm not sure how he will force his way back in.

Before Alex's injury thought he stood out amongst his group just hope he can bounce back though going out to Fleetwood should have done him good. As for the under 18's how's Tre Pemberton performing this season.

Before Alex's injury thought he stood out amongst his group just hope he can bounce back though going out to Fleetwood should have done him good. As for the under 18's how's Tre Pemberton performing this season.

From what I've seen he seems to be progressing nicely. Needs to be given a run in the Under-23's at some stage to see if he can do it at a higher level. I like the fact that he's not afraid to get a tackle in and gives as good as he gets. Despite not being the biggest he's not the type to be bullied out of it. As wingers go he's got most of the attributes you want - quick, good at crossing and has an eye for goal.

13 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

From what I've seen he seems to be progressing nicely. Needs to be given a run in the Under-23's at some stage to see if he can do it at a higher level. I like the fact that he's not afraid to get a tackle in and gives as good as he gets. Despite not being the biggest he's not the type to be bullied out of it. As wingers go he's got most of the attributes you want - quick, good at crossing and has an eye for goal.

You say winger parsons I'd say he's more of an attacking midfielder intesteresting is he being played in the right position I wonder ?

I'm talking about Alex parsons just to clarify.

Edited by JAL
Spelling

Cheers Parsons what went wrong at Wolves away when the likes of Nyambe Travis Mahoney played yet the under 23's failed to register a single goal whilst these lads are being looked on as potential first teamers.

Edited by JAL

Just now, JAL said:

Cheers Parsons what went wrong at Wolves away when the likes of Nyambe Travis Mahoney played yet the under 23's failed to register a single goal whilst these lads are being looked on as potential first teamers.

Poor night all round to be honest.  First half it was fairly even with Tomlinson hitting the post and then the 'keeper making a brilliant save from him.  Second half Wolves took control.  Travis was literally kicked out of the game.  I think three yellow cards were shown for tackles on him alone.  Wolves capitalised on individual errors whereas we missed chances.  We do lack a quality striker at this level.  Never been convinced by Mansell.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Poor night all round to be honest.  First half it was fairly even with Tomlinson hitting the post and then the 'keeper making a brilliant save from him.  Second half Wolves took control.  Travis was literally kicked out of the game.  I think three yellow cards were shown for tackles on him alone.  Wolves capitalised on individual errors whereas we missed chances.  We do lack a quality striker at this level.  Never been convinced by Mansell.

Having seen odd games from the under 12 's upwards over the past few years...... forwards is definitely not a strong point of the academy when you think the sell on value of a good forward can be far greater than most other positions.

This Travis lad certainly interests me don't think I've seen him play.

Edited by JAL

I agree on mansell on and the overall lack of quality up top coming through. Had high hopes for rittenberg a year or two back but seems to have regressed . Tanner was another player being tipped for big things. Admittedly only seen him play twice and didn't stand out. Not seen anything of the kids since they moved from the sports village. Miss it alot. Loved going there so these posts are of high interest to me, so thanks lads

Edited by Oldgregg86

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Who's Thomson parsons looked strong against a very poor Burnley under 23 team whilst Travis at right back didn't look anything special though I'll reserve judgement for now.

Edited by JAL

41 minutes ago, JAL said:

Who's Thomson parsons looked strong against a very poor Burnley under 23 team whilst Travis at right back didn't look anything special though I'll reserve judgement for now.

Connor Thomson is the lad that Eric picked up from Carlisle when he was released.  Plays wide midfield most of the time.  Travis is playing right-back at the moment because Nyambe has moved up to the senior team.  Travis is far better in the midfield role that he has occupied for most the season.  Hopefully Travis will be the next youngster to be given a contract, certainly deserves one for the progress he has made this season.  Travis and Tomlinson make a formidable partnership in the centre of midfield.  Keep an eye out for Stefan Mols who is just starting to move up to the Under-23's as he is a really talented attacking midfield player.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

How did Butterworth played tonight?

What type.of striker is he?

Not the biggest striker, similar in style really to Joe Garner but not quite as aggressive.  He is quick and confident with the ball at his feet.  Has an eye for goal and finishes well.  Just starting to get some games with the Under-23's.  Certainly played well tonight and took his goal extremely well.

• Like 1

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Connor Thomson is the lad that Eric picked up from Carlisle when he was released.  Plays wide midfield most of the time.  Travis is playing right-back at the moment because Nyambe has moved up to the senior team.  Travis is far better in the midfield role that he has occupied for most the season.  Hopefully Travis will be the next youngster to be given a contract, certainly deserves one for the progress he has made this season.  Travis and Tomlinson make a formidable partnership in the centre of midfield.  Keep an eye out for Stefan Mols who is just starting to move up to the Under-23's as he is a really talented attacking midfield player.

Not the biggest striker, similar in style really to Joe Garner but not quite as aggressive.  He is quick and confident with the ball at his feet.  Has an eye for goal and finishes well.  Just starting to get some games with the Under-23's.  Certainly played well tonight and took his goal extremely well.

Your not telling us much about Connor Thomson parsons. 

As for Mols reminds me of Jason Lowe lots of sideways passes parsons.

Any more on Connor Thomson ?

Just now, JAL said:

Your not telling us much about Connor Thomson parsons. 

As for Mols reminds me of Jason Lowe lots of sideways passes parsons.

Any more on Connor Thomson ?

Don't know when you last watched Mols but he is nothing like Lowe at the moment.  Plays any number of forward passes and runs at defenders with the ball.

Thomson reminds me at bit of Brett Emerton in that he can play wide midfield or full-back.  Strong lad who can run at defenders and deliver decent balls into the box.  In truth he has been moved around a bit in terms of positions and it's really only this season that they seem to have settled on the wide midfield position (usually left midfield) for him.  Somewhat inconsistent and for me is a lad who needs to go out on loan to a League One or Two team to get some first team experience.  I can see why they have given him another contract as he does have potential but I'm not convinced as to how far he might go.  The jury is out for me which is why I would like to see him loaned out to see if he can do it at a level higher than Under-23's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Don't know when you last watched Mols but he is nothing like Lowe at the moment.  Plays any number of forward passes and runs at defenders with the ball.

Thomson reminds me at bit of Brett Emerton in that he can play wide midfield or full-back.  Strong lad who can run at defenders and deliver decent balls into the box.  In truth he has been moved around a bit in terms of positions and it's really only this season that they seem to have settled on the wide midfield position (usually left midfield) for him.  Somewhat inconsistent and for me is a lad who needs to go out on loan to a League One or Two team to get some first team experience.  I can see why they have given him another contract as he does have potential but I'm not convinced as to how far he might go.  The jury is out for me which is why I would like to see him loaned out to see if he can do it at a level higher than Under-23's.

Look forward to seeing Stefan Mols to see these improvements in him as for Thomson he looks stronger than Connor Mahoney from that Burnley under 23 video.

Note tonight that Dean Rittenberg has been released by mutual consent. Haven't followed his career closely but he seems to have been been at the Club an awfully long time to never get a chance and be dumped.

Do we need to be a lot more proactive in giving the youngsters a chance, and if they're not good enough having had that chance, cutting them adrift?

Edited by RevidgeBlue

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Note tonight that Dean Rittenberg has been released by mutual consent. Haven't followed his career closely but he seems to have been been at the Club an awfully long time to never get a chance and be dumped.

Do we need to be a lot more proactive in giving the youngsters a chance, and if they're not good enough having had that chance, cutting them adrift?

He was awful Rev.  He had a purple patch when he was about 17 - played for England at that level - got a long contract and has done nothing since.  For the past two seasons he has struggled to make the bench for the Under21/Under23's.  When he went to Chorley on loan he couldn't get a regular slot in their team.

14 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Had to wait to reply to this post rev and I can only echo what parsons says in that Dean Rittenberg was never ever going to be a professional footballer how on earth did he manage to play for England youths.

What you should be asking rev is how on earth did Rittenberg get a chance at a professional club that plays professional football.