BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

A cracking game of football tonight at Leyland.  Two teams playing attacking football and giving one hundred per cent.  Everyone in a Blue & White shirt tonight was good, not a weak link in the team against an excellent West Ham team.  Tomlinson, Travis and Thomson in particular caught the eye going forward.

On 01/02/2017 at 4:37 PM, JAL said:

Had to wait to reply to this post rev and I can only echo what parsons says in that Dean Rittenberg was never ever going to be a professional footballer how on earth did he manage to play for England youths.

What you should be asking rev is how on earth did Rittenberg get a chance at a professional club that plays professional football.

If I'm right I'm sure I watched that game were he played for England. Came off the bench and scored with his first touch. I saw him play a few times later on for the u23s and agree with parsons . Never going to make it. To much to young or simply not good enough ?

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

A cracking game of football tonight at Leyland.  Two teams playing attacking football and giving one hundred per cent.  Everyone in a Blue & White shirt tonight was good, not a weak link in the team against an excellent West Ham team.  Tomlinson, Travis and Thomson in particular caught the eye going forward.

Tomlinson needs a chance in the first team. I'd have Mahoney starting at Right Mid and Rankin Costello on the bench at least. Travis and Doyle are both excellent full back prospects.

On 1 February 2017 at 5:37 PM, JAL said:

Had to wait to reply to this post rev and I can only echo what parsons says in that Dean Rittenberg was never ever going to be a professional footballer how on earth did he manage to play for England youths.

What you should be asking rev is how on earth did Rittenberg get a chance at a professional club that plays professional football.

That tells you all you need to know about English youth football. One of the worst players on our books technically  played for England Under 21's .

9 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Does that mean we lost?

Another question, in case you know, is this our last season in the PL development league or whatever it's called? Or does it depend on if we stay in the Championship or not? Or purely down to the academy having Level 1 status?

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Does that mean we lost?

Another question, in case you know, is this our last season in the PL development league or whatever it's called? Or does it depend on if we stay in the Championship or not? Or purely down to the academy having Level 1 status?

A 2-1 win - our third win on the run - and an absolutely brilliant game of football.  As far as I'm aware Category 1 status is reviewed every three years and as we were reviewed last year we should have another two years at that level before we are due another review.  Of course you can opt to leave Category 1 if you wish - which is what Bolton did a couple of years ago to cut costs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Great run through the middle from Thomson, rasping shot hit the underside of the bar.

12 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Travis play at Right back? better position?

10 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Tomlinson needs a chance in the first team. I'd have Mahoney starting at Right Mid and Rankin Costello on the bench at least. Travis and Doyle are both excellent full back prospects.

I think Doyle is going to be good player in the future.

I think within 2 seasons we will have 7 or 8 players with the first team squad from the academy. I'm not including Lowe or Raya or Lenihan in that. along with Mahoney, Tomlinson, Travis, Wharton, Doyle, Hardcastle, Rankin Costello and Nyambe

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think within 2 seasons we will have 7 or 8 players with the first team squad from the academy. I'm not including Lowe or Raya or Lenihan in that. along with Mahoney, Tomlinson, Travis, Wharton, Doyle, Hardcastle, Rankin Costello and Nyambe

So do I Chaddy. That's because when we let everybody out of contract go we will have no choice. They'll be in the squad whether they are any good or not!

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Even when we had a top class youth team that actually won the competition we only had 3 players who made it to the first team regularly.  Having said that most of them would have got into the current team !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

A 2-1 win - our third win on the run - and an absolutely brilliant game of football.  As far as I'm aware Category 1 status is reviewed every three years and as we were reviewed last year we should have another two years at that level before we are due another review.  Of course you can opt to leave Category 1 if you wish - which is what Bolton did a couple of years ago to cut costs.

Thanks. I honestly think that Johnson could take over from Coyle right now and would improve things.

Hard to know if Venkys will keep funding it. But I've no idea why they would.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

You mention Connor Thomson .

Sounds like he should be on the bench ahead of Connor Mahoney.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Delusional. You've been listening too much to Chimphead. For a start the U21 is kids stuff compared to the physicality of L1. And any players who show they can cope at senior level will be sold - Barnsley are already monitoring Mahoney. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JAL said:

You mention Connor Thomson .

Sounds like he should be on the bench ahead of Connor Mahoney.

Different types of player Jal which is why they compliment each other in the Under-23's.  Mahoney is the more creative who can deliver a spectacular goal or wonderful cross whilst Thomson is the workhorse who gets up and down for ninety minutes.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Travis is better in midfield but is a solid full-back when asked to play in that position.  Doyle is developing into a decent left-back but untried at senior level.  One you have missed is Matty Platt, who is captain of the Under-23's and every bit as good as Wharton. 

• Like 2

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Travis is better in midfield but is a solid full-back when asked to play in that position.  Doyle is developing into a decent left-back but untried at senior level.  One you have missed is Matty Platt, who is captain of the Under-23's and every bit as good as Wharton. 

Did he play in the games against Chelsea ? I thought both our centre backs looked pretty promising and they'd plenty to do. Doyle impressed me at left back.  I wasn't jumping out of my seat at any of the players in front of them. Having said that I remember watching Damien Duff in a youth team game and he was very quiet.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Did he play in the games against Chelsea ? I thought both our centre backs looked pretty promising and they'd plenty to do. Doyle impressed me at left back.  I wasn't jumping out of my seat at any of the players in front of them. Having said that I remember watching Damien Duff in a youth team game and he was very quiet.

Wharton and Platt have been together for a number of years coming through the ranks together.  I think the only way you find out about them Tyrone is by giving them game time with the seniors.  Nyambe seems to have made the step up, although I've no doubt he'll make errors as he's still young and learning, but he doesn't seem out of place at that level.  I'm sure there are others in the Under-23's who could do the same but throwing them into a relegation struggle, particularly with the present manager, would be asking a huge amount of them.

• Like 1