BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season tickets again!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next season unless something drastic happens (unlikely ) there will be 25% reduction in season ticket holders at least ....

2 years of stability , have brought some of the worst football , I have witnessed at Ewood Park in 46 yrs of attending ...

Watford are top this morning , they have had 4 managers this season !

Genuine question - how much is the debt costing Rovers to maintain - or is the debt costs covered by Venky's ? Ultimately is it not the cost of servicing the debt that will impact us under FFP as much as the debt itself ?

The interest paid by Rovers in the year to 30th June 2014 was £1.119 million per the published accounts.

Next season unless something drastic happens (unlikely ) there will be 25% reduction in season ticket holders at least ....

/quote]

How do you know that?

Honestly - it's tough enough being a Rovers fan today with promotion hopes gone. Some on here just love wollowing in the misery and hammering those trying to foster a bit of hope for Rovers' future.

Nobody knows but each game there are fewer of the people who normally sit near you there and you're not surprised they are not there. It used to be that if someone wasn't in their usual seat you'd speculate as to why. Now you just assume they can't be bothered.

If you attend regularly, you can see numbers dropping off. If that is reflected in season ticket sales then 25% fewer could be a conservative estimate

/quote]

How do you know that?

Honestly - it's tough enough being a Rovers fan today with promotion hopes gone. Some on here just love wollowing in the misery and hammering those trying to foster a bit of hope for Rovers' future.

Personally , I think there is no hope for the Rovers ,whilst the Venkys are our owners...

2 years of stability , have brought some of the worst football , I have witnessed at Ewood Park in 46 yrs of attending ...

Rubbish. We have been much worse than now in that time. And we watched it played on a cabbage patch from a tumbledown shed.

Nobody knows but each game there are fewer of the people who normally sit near you there and you're not surprised they are not there. It used to be that if someone wasn't in their usual seat you'd speculate as to why. Now you just assume they can't be bothered.

If you attend regularly, you can see numbers dropping off. If that is reflected in season ticket sales then 25% fewer could be a conservative estimate

It's no surprise. This was predicted by some on here but actually believed by few over 4 years ago. Next up and it won't be long and people will begin suggesting a merger of local clubs to form one financially viable large one! ;)^_^

I guess the 25% quotedby Waggy was an estimate. Unfortunately the ST holders we are losing now, and fail to use their ST on a regular basis, are the very diehards who stayed during the worst of SK and the loons. They probably stayed on the basis of hope that the V's would go and the football would improve. Unfortunately neither has happened.

Rubbish. We have been much worse than now in that time. And we watched it played on a cabbage patch from a tumbledown shed.

It's no surprise. This was predicted by some on here but actually believed by few over 4 years ago. Next up and it won't be long and people will begin suggesting a merger of local clubs to form one financially viable large one! ;)^_^

The cabbages have been replanted!!

I suspect we will see some club mergers. It makes financial sense albeit fans, with their historical and emotional attachments, will be opposed. But when have owners cared and listened to fans?

final decision rested with the owners and that they were very keen to keep prices affordable and had vetoed rises proposed by the management team before.

• 2015/16 Season Tickets

TS asked whether the club was considering an early bird offer as other clubs had already done. DS stated that he did not see any financial benefit in issuing the offer early before the season ends. He would expect that a small increase would be approved but the final decision rested with the owners and that they were very keen to keep prices affordable and had vetoed rises proposed by the management team before.

JW asked whether the club was considering any major changes, such as closing the Family Stand to save money and to concentrate fans in the rest of the stadium. AM stated that it was very difficult to move season ticket holders who often were very attached to their seats. JW suggested that it might be worth the club writing to season ticket holders in the Family Stand to gauge their views.

Reading that suggests 'management' wanted to raise prices previously, but have been vetoed by the owners. I'm not sure of the thinking behind a possible price rise, as our fanbase is already dwindling.

Maybe it's because they thought the 12000 diehards would turn up regardless ?

The minutes went on to the Rovers website earlier today. This is the minute re season tickets below. As you can see it doesn't look like STs will be on sale before the end of the season.

It would be good to get views on here about how people feel about moving the Family Stand and closing the upper tier. As someone who sits there I would be very relaxed about it but I know other fans may have stronger opinions. Of course it would also upset some other ST holders assuming they created a Family area elsewhere in the ground.

• 2015/16 Season Tickets

TS asked whether the club was considering an early bird offer as other clubs had already done. DS stated that he did not see any financial benefit in issuing the offer early before the season ends. He would expect that a small increase would be approved but the final decision rested with the owners and that they were very keen to keep prices affordable and had vetoed rises proposed by the management team before. [/size]

JW asked whether the club was considering any major changes, such as closing the Family Stand to save money and to concentrate fans in the rest of the stadium. AM stated that it was very difficult to move season ticket holders who often were very attached to their seats. JW suggested that it might be worth the club writing to season ticket holders in the Family Stand to gauge their views. [/size]

Personally I've said before on here that I like where I sit. I understand there may be a need to close an area on an economic basis but there isn't really another viable area to put families in. The closure of my stand would not per se affect my choice of whether to renew - that will be down, if I decide not to, to a number of other factors, but were I wavering then being told I had to move would be a contributing factor. I like sitting in the family stand and I like it where it is.

Reading that suggests 'management' wanted to raise prices previously, but have been vetoed by the owners. I'm not sure of the thinking behind a possible price rise, as our fanbase is already dwindling.

Thing is, that seems a stupid thing to say publicly, so what is their agenda with saying something like that, is it a case of "well look how wonderful the owners are, we suggested to put prices up, however the wonderful owners said no and wanted to give you, the fans, good prices for season tickets"??

Having moved to the family stand this season as I started taking my son this season I would disappointed if the stand was closed. The main reason for choosing the family stand was I wanted him to be surrounded by younger fans and hoped that the use of bad language would be considerably less in a family area and on both counts it has been fantastic.

I would like to ask the Fans Forum did they consult with fans who sit in the family stand before raising the possibility with the club? If fans forum haven't then I think that this is poor.

No we didn't Kamy, but then all we asked was that the club ask ST holders in the Family Stand for their opinions. The Forum is not promoting the idea of closing the stand but we just asked whether it's an option and encouraged the club to ask fans what they feel. It was me who raised the issue in the meeting. I sit in the Family stand and am quite happy there. Personally I would be relaxed about moving but there are others on the Forum who would not.

My gut feeling is that there is no appetite from local management to make such a radical change. All I was doing was trying to make sure that there was not a unilateral decision without consultation. Even if the Forum wanted to consult it would be very difficult for us to do any reliable research but quite easy for the club to do.

I wouldn't advise you put too many ideas into the management's heads only2garners, they can only just about remember to breathe as it is

The thing is they have already started to raise prices.

Last year they increased prices by a double digit percentage, admittedly from a low starting point.

In the Riverside a 13/14 season ticket was £225 and a 14/15 one was £249, which is a 10.6% increase.

Lets say they go with another 10% rise for 15/16 and round it to £275.

Well have your wages risen by 22% in the last two years (assuming you stayed in the same job) ?

When combined with the product on offer (see most other threads for full details), I reckon this sort of price will start to kill off the 2 to 3 thousand that have season tickets but only make it down 10 times a season. Previously it was worth buying a season ticket anyway, now not so much so. The newly created "missing" 2 to 3 thousand will buy tickets on an as and when required basis. They can always look out for the £15 games, plus the inevitable 3 games for a tenner or whatever it is promotion.

The good news is it will kill off the moronic obsession that some have on here regarding the announced attendances as most season ticket holders will make most games. The current 13K announced attendances will fall nearer to the actual 11K in attendance every week.

The point is I used to pay a lot more even last time we were in the championship in real terms and I suspect in actual terms so really even a 10% rise wouldn't put them up where they used to be. I'm not saying they should do it but I am getting a bit weary of people talking as though a price increase is unthinkable

The point is I used to pay a lot more even last time we were in the championship in real terms and I suspect in actual terms so really even a 10% rise wouldn't put them up where they used to be. I'm not saying they should do it but I am getting a bit weary of people talking as though a price increase is unthinkable

Well the executives obviously agree with you as they clearly thought about a substantial rise and then actually implemented it.

I suppose they have to take into account the annual wage rises of matchday staff in the ST's plus utility bill rises etc. Our total ST income probably just about covers running the stadium on matchdays for a season :(

I wouldn't advise you put too many ideas into the management's heads only2garners, they can only just about remember to breathe as it is

The thing is they have already started to raise prices.

Last year they increased prices by a double digit percentage, admittedly from a low starting point.

In the Riverside a 13/14 season ticket was £225 and a 14/15 one was £249, which is a 10.6% increase.

Lets say they go with another 10% rise for 15/16 and round it to £275.

Well have your wages risen by 22% in the last two years (assuming you stayed in the same job) ?

When combined with the product on offer (see most other threads for full details), I reckon this sort of price will start to kill off the 2 to 3 thousand that have season tickets but only make it down 10 times a season. Previously it was worth buying a season ticket anyway, now not so much so. The newly created "missing" 2 to 3 thousand will buy tickets on an as and when required basis. They can always look out for the £15 games, plus the inevitable 3 games for a tenner or whatever it is promotion.

The good news is it will kill off the moronic obsession that some have on here regarding the announced attendances as most season ticket holders will make most games. The current 13K announced attendances will fall nearer to the actual 11K in attendance every week.

However grumpy people are just now, I think it's a little dangerous to link ST prices with how people perceive the product on the pitch. Looking at the division as a whole, only a couple of clubs have cheaper Season Tickets than Rovers, and the average cheapest across all 24 clubs is £347 so ~£100 more. People would be far less happy if the league table matched the cost of the product table!

Rovers did amazingly to cut prices like they did in 2007 and 2009, and as so often under the previous management were well ahead of the curve with those initiatives.

Just to put a couple of numbers to that (to put your 10.6% increase year-on-year into some context) ...

- in 2007 the cost of a Blackburn End ST fell by 30% from £425 to £299

- in 2009 the cost of a Blackburn End ST fell by a further 33% to £199

- inflation from 2007 to 2014 has averaged 3.1% per year, so that £425 at 2007 prices would now be £525 at 2014 prices

- so adjusted for inflation, the current ST cost of £249 is less that half than in the 2006-07 season. (We also get 4 extra games, although I'm sure everyone would gladly swap them for the previous status quo).

Even if they do slap on an increase for next year, I doubt it will be enough to even scratch the surface of the discrepancy between what Rovers fans pay and what fans of the clubs we're supposed to be competing with are paying. For info, here's the full list :

Blackpool 195* - Birmingham 230 - Huddersfield 249 - ROVERS 249 - Charlton 250* - Wigan 280 - Derby 285 - Fulham 299 - Bolton 304 - Wolves 320 - Cardiff 329 - Milwall 333 - Brentford 343 - Sheff Weds 360 - Watford 366 - Reading 375 - Forest 389 - Ipswich 399 - Middlesboro 430 - Leeds 445 - Rotherham 450 - Brighton 465 - Bournemouth 480 - Norwich 500. * Charlton offer £150 STs in 2 out of 44 home blocks sold, most Blackpool STs start at 339.

Hi Tris

Some interesting stuff there, thanks for that.

I don't really disagree with anything you say.

My original point is simply that when people talk about 'if' they put the prices up they are incorrect to do so, as the price rises have already started.

Last seasons rise was not simply an inflation matching rise, but an attempt to claw something (however little) back.

Again I'm not saying whether they or wrong or right to do so, simply that they have started the claw back.

I would be amazed if they froze prices this time and fully expect my 10% predicted rise to occur.

If they tried to return to the old 'peak pricing' in one season they would somehow need to more than double the prices, which would result in an empty stadium.

However for us at least 'peak pricing' has gone.

I'm not sure how much point there is bringing general inflation into things - e.g. I remember buying CDs from Our Price for 16 quid in the 90's, paying several hundred for flights into Europe, paid 800 quid for a basic CRT TV, and these prices are gone for good. For some areas of the economy deflation is a fact, football ticket pricing especially at the lower levels for bog standard football in my view can't sustain £500 season tickets.

Do you have have a URL link or any more information on where the prices from other clubs you quote come from?

I would like to make sure we are comparing like with like - the best example would be adult prices, behind the goal in the main traditional home end, so the Blackburn End for us. Eg I think the 195 Blackpool season ticket was only available if you committed for two years but despite your comment I've heard anecdotally of several people paying this sum.

Also do you happen to have a full list of Blackburn End prices going back over the last 20 years or so to really put this into context? It would make an interesting read I feel.

Cheers

No we didn't Kamy, but then all we asked was that the club ask ST holders in the Family Stand for their opinions. The Forum is not promoting the idea of closing the stand but we just asked whether it's an option and encouraged the club to ask fans what they feel. It was me who raised the issue in the meeting. I sit in the Family stand and am quite happy there. Personally I would be relaxed about moving but there are others on the Forum who would not.

My gut feeling is that there is no appetite from local management to make such a radical change. All I was doing was trying to make sure that there was not a unilateral decision without consultation. Even if the Forum wanted to consult it would be very difficult for us to do any reliable research but quite easy for the club to do.

Did anybody from the club say how much it costs to keep the BBE Upper open per match? This really needs to be balanced against the potential loss of season tickets holders. And I would hazard a guess that there is more revenue from refreshments here than any other stand. Surely this service provider would object.

Archived