BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Job vacancies

So, we're down to plundering the much admired Carlisle youth set up now are we?

I'd expect there'll be more similar appointments to follow as Operation Dumb Down gathers pace.

So now it's impossible for decent youth coaches to be found in the lower Leagues? Seems whatever the club do these days gets stick.

I'd expect there'll be more similar appointments to follow as Operation Dumb Down gathers pace.

Alternatively we've employed a young coach who is striving to form a career and is happy to take promotion to work under someone he may regard as a mentor.

Strangely back in the real world one of my sons has done the exact same thing. He now manages brand for a very well known retailer in their largest store outside of Oxford Street. Kicked off his career in Bury though.

I'd have been more worried if he had turned us down.

I don't go for jobs at this sort of level, but is it normal to ask the applicant for their previous and current pay, whilst not telling them what this job offers? I've never seen that before. Seems like 'we'll see what we can get away with paying you'. If it were just a case of paying them according to experience, surely the rest of the CV gauges that.

My mate always brings up when he was at university he had a minimum wage type summer job in some factory or other in clitheroe. A few years later the guy he kicked about with became our fitness coach. Don't think he's there anymore (could have been one of keans recruits after that black fella left) but my mate said it didn't seem possible he could go from some menial summer job to head fitness coach of a premier league club so bloody quickly. Nice fella by all accounts but could possibly explain why had/have prolonged issues in that dept.

We used to joke that should apply for a ceo, md type position but I was half worried we may get it.

• Backroom

I don't go for jobs at this sort of level, but is it normal to ask the applicant for their previous and current pay, whilst not telling them what this job offers? I've never seen that before. Seems like 'we'll see what we can get away with paying you'. If it were just a case of paying them according to experience, surely the rest of the CV gauges that.

It's quite common these days, and yeah, it's basically so that they can potentially offer you something lower than the standard rate. If you're on £40k p/a, for example, you'd be more likely to accept an offer of £60k p/a than somebody earning £50k or £55k.

The point is if you advertise on a baboon's bottom, you are likely to attract other baboons.

But you are right, in previous Summer's I'd have said roll on preseason but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to it at the moment.

"Benson will be lead academy goalkeeping coach at Blackburn, where he will oversee keepers from Under-9 to Under-21 level."

That sounds like a lot of responsibility for one man, or do we have another youth gk coach as well? I'd think that they have a GK coach designated to the under-21 team at least.

Edit: just saw that it says LEAD academy goalkeeping coach. So yeah, he probably will not be solely responsible for the youth GKs. But then again, you never know with Rovers these days.

Archived