BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

i'd like to think we have somebody lined up or that O'Sullivan is capable of stepping up. It's the hope that kills.

You don't sound happy :)

Me? I'm livid.

The least I expected from the club this summer was a determination to retain its best players. It seems we can't even expect that now.

For me we have(had) four 'assets'. Those being Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney and Marshall. Those are the only four that other clubs would covet and possibly could play in the Premier League.

We've sold one to a club that finished 16th or whatever it was in the Championship next season and in accepting Fulham's bid basically put the for sale sign up on the other three to any club that wants them.

Dark days ahead. Last season's 'poor' 9th might be seen as heady heights in the near future.

I might feel better about things if there was some clarification or reassurance from the club or owners about the meaning of this and the future policy. But we won't even get that.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit that I can't get upset about Cairney going. Yet another, for me, who flattered to deceive. After his goals against Cardiff and Norwich, in the first two games, I can't really recall him making any impact on the team. Personally, and I know we all see the game differently, for me he had too many weaknesses for a central midfield player. A rough tackle early on and he did a vanishing act. He has the potential to be better than he is but he needs to toughen up.

Not happy he is going. But out of the players we could reasonably expect to get a fee for - he was one who maybe wasn't fitting into the team that well last season.

If we get anything like 3.5 mil from a half-million pound investment then we are getting back to how Rovers needs to be run to survive.

As someone else mentioned - time for O'Sullivan and Lenighan to step up.

I honestly don't think it's the end of the world. He's a talented lad but how effective is he if we're honest?

Last season he played 32 times, scored 3, assists 3. http://www.whoscored.com/Players/79583/Show/Tom-Cairney

Marshall - P37 Scored 5, assists 7 http://www.whoscored.com/Players/78147/Show/Ben-Marshall

Conway - P29 Scored 3, assists 10 http://www.whoscored.com/Players/9660/Show/Craig-Conway

I'd rather lose Cairney than Marshall or Conway based on last seasons performances.

Ball retention. Clearly an underrated asset by many.

Must admit that I can't get upset about Cairney going. Yet another, for me, who flattered to deceive. After his goals against Cardiff and Norwich, in the first two games, I can't really recall him making any impact on the team. Personally, and I know we all see the game differently, for me he had too many weaknesses for a central midfield player. A rough tackle early on and he did a vanishing act. He has the potential to be better than he is but he needs to toughen up.

Potential is the word here Parson. He wasn't the finished article and we all know he could be alot better with the right coaching and direction from a good manager. Cairney had talent enough - and his departure is a big loss unless the money is spent on replacements.

I don't see any arriving yet.

Potential is the word here Parson. He wasn't the finished article and we all know he could be alot better with the right coaching and direction from a good manager. Cairney had talent enough - and his departure is a big loss unless the money is spent on replacements.

I don't see any arriving yet.

For me jim he lacked heart and I'm not sure how you put that into a player.

Think you must have been a spin doctor !

Cairney will flourish with a manager who will play to his strengths and play him in his best position - and that's not stuck out on the wing !

This sale, IMV, is ominous for our club. Would anyone seriously think the likes of Rhodes, Gestede and Marshall will want to hang about when they see our better players being sold off ?

As I said in an earlier post, I think it's evidence that our owners are bailing out. It was bound to happen at some point when they said enough is enough. You could get next season's planning on the back of a stamp.

Well 'Gaz' is doing his best to dumb down our football structure and recruitment of staff from Carlisle should give us a fighting chance of life in Division 2.

When it comes to spin Mercerman I not in the same ball park as your good self ^_^

Hmmm.

Seriously, even you must be disturbed by any apparent pre season planning in terms of strategy. Sadly, think Cairney will be the first of the 'notables' through the exit door.

Ball retention. Clearly an underrated asset by many.

that is one of his major assets, but he was also the least effective of our 'creative' players ,that was the only point i was trying to make. Olsson had more assists than Cairney last season, Brown the same number. Good at keeping the ball, crap at doing owt with it :)

Cairney's departure tells us all we need to know about Rovers and our owners.

Bottom line is that they've pumped-in well over £100million and decided enough is enough.

You don't sell your better players if promotion is a realistic ambition.

Sadly, the exit door is revolving now and expect other 'notables' to follow.

You are more than likely correct - but could the Cairney sale be enough to take us out of the embargo ? Nobody knows how close we were to the maximum losses. TBH if selling Cairney at least enabled us to use the Rhodes and Gestede money to buy replacements it would be sacrifice worth making.

Think you must have been a spin doctor !

Cairney will flourish with a manager who will play to his strengths and play him in his best position - and that's not stuck out on the wing !

This sale, IMV, is ominous for our club. Would anyone seriously think the likes of Rhodes, Gestede and Marshall will want to hang about when they see our better players being sold off ?

As I said in an earlier post, I think it's evidence that our owners are bailing out. It was bound to happen at some point when they said enough is enough. You could get next season's planning on the back of a stamp.

Well 'Gaz' is doing his best to dumb down our football structure and recruitment of staff from Carlisle should give us a fighting chance of life in Division 2.

Which position did Cairney play when he was our player of the season ?

Last season Cairney was found out as he is all left foot. Still disappointed he is going though.

I've just logged on and hav been catching up and was just waiting for this post. The haste to take a positive slant together with Blueboy's hidden posts literally ALL OVER this thread since the news broke are clichéd in the extreme.

Sorry but that's how I feel. There is absolutely nothing good nor consolation about losing one of our only two creative players.

This is a player who was player of the season only 12 months ago, and suddenly he isn't up to it.

Give me @#/? strength. :rolleyes:

You are more than likely correct - but could the Cairney sale be enough to take us out of the embargo ? Nobody knows how close we were to the maximum losses. TBH if selling Cairney at least enabled us to use the Rhodes and Gestede money to buy replacements it would be sacrifice worth making.

I am almost certain that losses for 2014/15 will be in excess of £20million. Cairney sale a mere ripple.

If/when we generatee enough sales to get the embargo lifted when would it be lifted?

And once it is lifted spending silly money with our losses will just put us back in an embargo.

I am afraid its diamonds out and coal in for the foreseable.

If/when we generatee enough sales to get the embargo lifted when would it be lifted?

And once it is lifted spending silly money with our losses will just put us back in an embargo.

I am afraid its diamonds out and coal in for the foreseable.

That stability thing's really paying off, ain't it?

Archived