BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical Rovers fans on here. Two extremes - Cairney leaving will mean certain relegation or on the other hand he won't be missed!

IMO, with a good manager he would have been useful in certain games and not in others. Him leaving won't define Rovers season but if as suggested he is the first of many its trouble ahead.

£3-4 million for a Championship Squad player with potential is a good figure.

Fee is closer to £2.75 million + addons that's what I've heard.

Not bad but not great either.Apparently playing right midfield has been the thorn behind this.

If we got O'Hara on a free on 10 k a week, its great business if we don't then you have to ask questions. Don't know how far its gone with O'Hara other than contract talks with his agent. A few teams are after him including Fulham, Forest etc.

Anyone know the sell on-fee with N'Zonzi?

I think this Cairney love in is an indictication of how far we have fallen...

If , the £3.5 mil is true , we have robbed Fulham...Seen many many players better than Cairney wear the blue n white shirt ...

A lazy one paced player who plays well 3 or 4 times a season ...

Not sure on the lazy part, I just think he's not strong or fit enough to do the defensive part of the game, but the rest Id agree with.

I would build my team around Cairney and would have made him midfield playmaker in my team.

But it looks like Cairney will leave now.

He was poor last season granted tho.

Whether the 2.75/3 mil plus add on's is a good deal for us? Will depends who we bring in as his replacement?

I'm also surprise that Bowyer didnt want Tunnicliffe as part of the deal of the Fulham bid for Cairney.

I would build my team around Cairney and would have made him midfield playmaker in my team.

But it looks like Cairney will leave now.

He was poor last season granted tho.

Whether the 2.75/3 mil plus add on's is a good deal for us? Will depends who we bring in as his replacement?

I'm also surprise that Bowyer didnt want Tunnicliffe as part of the deal of the Fulham bid for Cairney.

Tunnicliffe was poor. Didn't offer us anything more than Evans and what Spearing did.

• Backroom

And say what you will about Cairney but he's the only senior centre mid we have that can pick out a pass and he's a class above williamson, lowe, and evans, yes last year was poor by hos standards, but when our player of the year is markus Olson it doesn't say much for the rest of the squad.

I actually believe Williamson is a good player at this level but his age means he'll soon go downhill.

He can pass it very well cross-field and puts his feet and head in where it hurts. It's his lack of pace that let's him down.

Cross-field passes to either wing (with Conway and Marshall supplying the strikers) are not a bad thing. It's something to build on.

Perhaps if Lowe was given freedom to roam forward rather than cover (and imo distract) the back 4, we may see him in a different light. But that's supposition and not good enough.

We need to see some pre-season experimentation with O'Sullivan and Lenihan if possible. See what our options are.

Can't for the life of me understand why people are happy with Cairney leaving. £3.5m won't even scratch the surface of our debt and nor can we buy a replacement. An midfield of Lowe, Williamson and Evans does not bear thinking about and if Jamie O'hara is the solution then I want to know what the question is

If I were a betting man I'd say this hinged on Chris Taylor signing up. Didn't hear the Rotherham link I must admit. But it'd make sense in my mind that a commitment from Taylor would allow him to play wide and then allow Marshall to be the main man behind the strikers. With Conway and Taylor being the main focus on supplying assists and Marshall being more of a goal threat than Cairney.

Just my hypothesis on Bowyers thinking. I can't help but feel losing Cairney is yet another blow. I like the lad. And those who are lambasting him for being inconsistent, well it's the nature of the beast. Players of his type who turn it on week in week out are worth their weight in gold. And usually command a fee befitting of that.

• Backroom

If I were a betting man I'd say this hinged on Chris Taylor signing up. Didn't hear the Rotherham link I must admit. But it'd make sense in my mind that a commitment from Taylor would allow him to play wide and then allow Marshall to be the main man behind the strikers. With Conway and Taylor being the main focus on supplying assists and Marshall being more of a goal threat than Cairney.

Just my hypothesis on Bowyers thinking. I can't help but feel losing Cairney is yet another blow. I like the lad. And those who are lambasting him for being inconsistent, well it's the nature of the beast. Players of his type who turn it on week in week out are worth their weight in gold. And usually command a fee befitting of that.

If this happens I believe it would actually show a degree of nous in Bowyer's dealings.

As for o'hara. Well it's signings like that which make me question Bowyers drive on 'good characters'. I'm not saying Brown's past misdemeanours are forgivable to me. But I don't hold my teams footballers up as role models. If Bowyer felt Brown had made a mistake and was a reformed man willing to put it in for the club and capable of producing then I'm OK with that as a fan of the club. But in purely footballing terms O'hara has proven to be an absolute mercenary. By bringing him in it shows the incoming targets aren't really being vetted for suitability.

I think this Cairney love in is an indictication of how far we have fallen...

If , the £3.5 mil is true , we have robbed Fulham...Seen many many players better than Cairney wear the blue n white shirt ...

A lazy one paced player who plays well 3 or 4 times a season ...

I was just thinking of players I was more upset to be sold than that lightweight Cairney and had run out of fingers and toes by 1971 when we swapped Eamonn Rogers for Barry Fkin Endean.

Cairney isn't good enough to drive a team to promotion or tough enough to win a relegation scrap. Anyone who can tackle will be an upgrade IMO

Have you seen O'Hara's relegation record :-( ...

The problem with all this is that its driven by the embargo which basically means we will sell our best players for any reasonable sum but because of the embargo and in order to see the benefit, the cash will largely not be reinvested. This all points to a low cost sub standard team out on the pitch and we all know where that leads us.

Christ alone knows what venkys game plan is here. They are £100million in the hole and are now downsizing and dumbing down the squad to dangerous levels which flies in the face of needing to get promoted to recoup any meaningful sum of the money they have blown. I know FFP has hurt us badly but there seems no desire to try to defeat it like others seem to have done and you cant help but feel from the evidence we are seeing that they have given up the ghost. Gradually reducing costs by getting rid of all your best players and replacing them with sub standard ones only ends up with one thing. Oldham here we come.

I am seeing the writing on the wall here for our Club and it distresses me greatly because where it all ends I daren't contemplate.

As for o'hara. Well it's signings like that which make me question Bowyers drive on 'good characters'. I'm not saying Brown's past misdemeanours are forgivable to me. But I don't hold my teams footballers up as role models. If Bowyer felt Brown had made a mistake and was a reformed man willing to put it in for the club and capable of producing then I'm OK with that as a fan of the club. But in purely footballing terms O'hara has proven to be an absolute mercenary. By bringing him in it shows the incoming targets aren't really being vetted for suitability.

Yeah, thought it was a bit strange when he brought Paul Taylor in(even on loan), it would be really stretching his policy, if both O'Hara and him

were signed on permanent 2/3 year deals.

The problem with all this is that its driven by the embargo which basically means we will sell our best players for any reasonable sum but because of the embargo and in order to see the benefit, the cash will largely not be reinvested. This all points to a low cost sub standard team out on the pitch and we all know where that leads us.

Christ alone knows what venkys game plan is here. They are £100million in the hole and are now downsizing and dumbing down the squad to dangerous levels which flies in the face of needing to get promoted to recoup any meaningful sum of the money they have blown. I know FFP has hurt us badly but there seems no desire to try to defeat it like others seem to have done and you cant help but feel from the evidence we are seeing that they have given up the ghost. Gradually reducing costs by getting rid of all your best players and replacing them with sub standard ones only ends up with one thing. Oldham here we come.

I am seeing the writing on the wall here for our Club and it distresses me greatly because where it all ends I daren't contemplate.

Serious question.

What benefit is there to us coming out of the embargo?

Serious question.

What benefit is there to us coming out of the embargo?

We can spend. Might only be 10k but look at Tyrone Mings, he signed for peanuts and sold for 8m today. We can't do that at current, and as you or someone said- teams out of embargo can offer 12k a week for free players that we cannot.

GBs best signings have been with a bit of cash and if 10m from the 1m invested on Cairney and Gestede gets us out of the embargo in this window- we should have more chance of replacing them with quality and potential.

We can spend. Might only be 10k but look at Tyrone Mings, he signed for peanuts and sold for 8m today. We can't do that at current, and as you or someone said- teams out of embargo can offer 12k a week for free players that we cannot.

But what is the point if you can only buy inferior players?

Plus, no way could Bowyer develop a non-league player into a multimillion pound sale. Nor most managers, to be fair. That's like a lottery win.

I'd like to think that we are going to see a lot of our young players given a real chance in the 1st team this year, its the only thing that would excite me about the coming season, but no doubt bowyer will just bring in a bunch of below average journeymen and outcasts on frees and loans instead of seriously giving youth a chance.

But what is the point if you can only buy inferior players?

Plus, no way could Bowyer develop a non-league player into a multimillion pound sale. Nor most managers, to be fair. That's like a lottery win.

If he's given 500k, the scouts/team should be able to invest it wisely- Duffy and Steele the last two fees who IMO look decent purchases.

The embargo is restrictive. We can speculate on how Venkys should have seen it coming etc but to keep this transfer related - losing its shackles can only be a good thing.

I don't understand the rules enough to properly say, but if the debts are April to April- 10m in coffers 15-16 could put us under the revised higher 13m loss for this season, and allow us to trade players. I'm probably wrong.

Archived