BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tonights Game

des

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope rogerabi continues to post as it gives an informative insight. As a local lad it was my dream to play for rovers - unfortunately I wasn't good enough! To be fair to Connor Mahoney in that 5 minute cameo (a lively cameo too) at Man City he achieved something I could only dream of.

I really hope he becomes a rovers star.

Can I asked of those who attended the game, was Rovers playing a 4-2-3-1 formation and looking to pass the ball move to feet then long ball game?

Have you been watching something else for the past 2 years? I can almost gaurentee we where playing aimless long balls up front from the centre back position, either losing the second ball or winning it and not having enough support. We where then counter attacked and couldn't handle the ball on the floor but where confident at defending balls in the air.

I hope rogerabi continues to post as it gives an informative insight. As a local lad it was my dream to play for rovers - unfortunately I wasn't good enough! To be fair to Connor Mahoney in that 5 minute cameo (a lively cameo too) at Man City he achieved something I could only dream of.

I really hope he becomes a rovers star.

We desperstely need the next Dunny. He was the last local lad who had it all. Even someone with half of his ability would do.

I felt that the real contributory factor in Gascoigne's downfall was not signing for Ferguson but opting for Spurs and Venables. I'm convinced Ferguson would have brought him in line the moment he erred but cheeky cockney boy seemed to think his antics were funny

See Paul McGrath for how Fergie dealt with alcoholics who wouldn't toe the line.

At the end of the day, Fergie was only a football manager. He wasn't a psychiatrist qualified to help those with mental illnesses and substance abuse.

Can I asked of those who attended the game, was Rovers playing a 4-2-3-1 formation and looking to pass the ball move to feet then long ball game?

It was a standard 4-4-2 for most of the game with O'Sullivan and Marshall upfront although Marshall did drop a little deeper at times. There was a lot of passing to feet between the defenders and the goalkeeper then a lot of the usual hoof the ball down the line or upfield, which was largely ineffectual due to us not really having any pace of height upfront. We just don't have the players to play the sort of passing game you are suggesting, Cairney was one of the few players we had capable of this football is now gone. I suggest this season we are going to see a lot of fairly simple "hard-working" "keep it tight" 4-4-2 mentality football with two defensive central midfielders as favoured by GB.

I genuinely don't understand why Mahoney doesn't get a look in.

To be honest Stuart I would like to see us send him out on loan this season. He didn't have a great time last season with the Under-21's and last night he struggled to get into the game. I think we all want him to succeed but I wonder if the pressure to do so is beginning to tell on him. O'Sullivan has spent a couple of seasons going out on loan and it's done him a power of good. I could understand why the club might have been reluctant to do so last season with Morris and O'Sullivan out on loan he would have been needed as cover here. However, this season there is no reason why, if he isn't at least getting on the bench, he shouldn't have a spell somewhere on loan.

It was a standard 4-4-2 for most of the game with O'Sullivan and Marshall upfront although Marshall did drop a little deeper at times. There was a lot of passing to feet between the defenders and the goalkeeper then a lot of the usual hoof the ball down the line or upfield, which was largely ineffectual due to us not really having any pace of height upfront. We just don't have the players to play the sort of passing game you are suggesting, Cairney was one of the few players we had capable of this football is now gone. I suggest this season we are going to see a lot of fairly simple "hard-working" "keep it tight" 4-4-2 mentality football with two defensive central midfielders as favoured by GB.

Which is just the type of game we've seen for most of Bowyers tenure. Enough to gather enough points to stay midtable but nowhere near enough to try and drive a half decent team forward. It'll never change as it's a safe way to keep them all in a job and an easy system to swap players about and play others out of position without too much fuss. The big problem arises if we lose both strikers whose goals constantly paper over the other stuff.

To be honest Stuart I would like to see us send him out on loan this season. He didn't have a great time last season with the Under-21's and last night he struggled to get into the game. I think we all want him to succeed but I wonder if the pressure to do so is beginning to tell on him. O'Sullivan has spent a couple of seasons going out on loan and it's done him a power of good. I could understand why the club might have been reluctant to do so last season with Morris and O'Sullivan out on loan he would have been needed as cover here. However, this season there is no reason why, if he isn't at least getting on the bench, he shouldn't have a spell somewhere on loan.

In his cameo against City he looked completely at home at that level. Since then, not only has he not been given an opportunity but he seems to be being held back. It must be absolutely crushing for a young lad's confidence to be given a glimpse like that and have it taken away.

Perhaps a loan would be good for him but I'd prefer him to at least be given a chance here, you know, like when we have 3 meaningless end of season games or an injury crisis to the strikers.

To be fair to GB Koita and Kim are two technically strong players, and Koita seems to have pace. If he was looking to lump it we would be signing different players.

The key to changing our style of play is having a player (ideally two) who can pick up the ball from defence, turn, find a forward pass and retain possession. Cairney could do that but clearly GB did not trust him centrally. And we sold him anyway.

I doubt Peschi is that sort of player, but as I haven't seen him I can't really judge. Lowe and Evans certainly aren't. Williamson sort of is but not consistent or quick enough to be truly effective. Plus he is getting on. Maybe Lenihan is an improvement?

If we go into the season with the central midfielders we have it will be kick and rush.

In his cameo against City he looked completely at home at that level. Since then, not only has he not been given an opportunity but he seems to be being held back. It must be absolutely crushing for a young lad's confidence to be given a glimpse like that and have it taken away.

Perhaps a loan would be good for him but I'd prefer him to at least be given a chance here, you know, like when we have 3 meaningless end of season games or an injury crisis to the strikers.

He came on after 89 minutes at City when they were already 5-0 up and had long since switched off. Not sure how that can make him look completely at home at that level. His performances for the Under-21's last season hardly had him knocking on the first team door and would no doubt have had him being slaughtered like Lowe and Hanley if he hadn't immediately impressed.

The only other games I've seen him in were the u-21 final legs and on those showings he didn't look ready to me, none of them did imo. There's no shame at all in that, he's only 18, as was the rest of the squad those nights. To be relied on and used regularly as a 17/18 year old is a big ask I think and you have to be a pretty special player to do so (at championship and above). Maybe the odd fleeting sub appearance when the game is already won, let's be honest though that's not likely to happen under Bowyer anyway. A loan to a League 2 club would do him the world of good, on and off the pitch.

He came on after 89 minutes at City when they were already 5-0 up and had long since switched off. Not sure how that can make him look completely at home at that level. His performances for the Under-21's last season hardly had him knocking on the first team door and would no doubt have had him being slaughtered like Lowe and Hanley if he hadn't immediately impressed.

Come on Lowe and Hanley had plenty support during their earlier years. Both were pretty established players going into our second season at this level and should have been more comfortable in the champ. Lowe was poor in that season, not helped by being continually selected and paired with Willo so he began to get a few grumbles, mostly on here and not at the ground. Hanley did ok and never got much stick even on here but last season for a large spell he was pants (and probably hungover) so naturally he came in for a bit. Again not helped by your buddy continuing to play him.

I'd say in terms of those two it's the manager that's been whipped on here more than the players ever have on matchday. Totally unfair dig at the fans again.

Come on Lowe and Hanley had plenty support during their earlier years. Both were pretty established players going into our second season at this level and should have been more comfortable in the champ. Lowe was poor in that season, not helped by being continually selected and paired with Willo so he began to get a few grumbles, mostly on here and not at the ground. Hanley did ok and never got much stick even on here but last season for a large spell he was pants (and probably hungover) so naturally he came in for a bit. Again not helped by your buddy continuing to play him.

I'd say in terms of those two it's the manager that's been whipped on here more than the players ever have on matchday. Totally unfair dig at the fans again.

People were grumbling at Lowe for a long time, from his second or third game in. He's earned his respect and certainly didn't have support in the early days.

Agree totally but it's important these two step up to the plate this season with the unfair play stuff

• Moderation Lead

If we're not going to chant Mahoney's name to the tune of I'm Horny, what is the point in having him?

At the Citeh game I'm sure it was more like 'ohhhhh Connor Mahoney' (like the Manyoo RVP song?)

People were grumbling at Lowe for a long time, from his second or third game in. He's earned his respect and certainly didn't have support in the early days.

Depends where you sit I suppose but I don't remember any loud groans at the games at all certainly not in the BBE, quite the opposite infact. No sign of them being slaughtered in their early days. Maybe on here but that's parr for the course. There was plenty to moan about back then and it certainly wasn't these two getting it.

What do we do now, not blood any youngers in case Stan and Albert in the Riverside holler at every bad pass ?

It's not about passing per sae it's about always having two or three options. The art of a good passing game is to have the entire team looking to get into enough space to be in a good position to receive the ball. Even Tugay couldn't pass effectively if all his team mates were standing still and tightly marked.

Thing about Lowe that people on here seem unable to adjust their ovine opinions to to is that whilst he was one of our weaker players in the Prem he is now one of our stronger ones.

Pick on someone else guys.

Archived