BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Auditors Resign

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The letter is not addressed to anyone by name and briefly deals with the three relevant sections of the Companies Act relevant to an auditor resignation. The opinion about the size of audit is there because the resigning auditor is required to advise the company on what action it needs to take now and has no direct bearing on the resignation or its causes.

The letter comes from the Preston branch of KPMG so quite probably 25% of its clients have at least a soft spot for the Rovers. Rovers are undoubtedly the most famous "product" of Blackburn.

For this reason, I would have expected even a letter like this to have included words like "it has been an honour to have been associated with" or even signed off with a wish for a successful season.

This is why I think the absence of such sentiments point to a very significant problem or two. A row over billings is probably part of it but there will be much much more in the background.

Maybe the Venkys don't think they are getting value for money, remember this is the local branch of KPMG, in the past my company (which has companies all over the world) have got rid of companies that didn't give us value, just a thought.

• Backroom

Maybe the Venkys don't think they are getting value for money, remember this is the local branch of KPMG, in the past my company (which has companies all over the world) have got rid of companies that didn't give us value, just a thought.

And yet they continue to employ Derek "Rogue" Shaw?

The club changed it's status from a PLC to a private Limited company during the last financial year, in order to reduce the administrative costs and requirements of the audit. The auditors have resigned after the first year end following that change saying the club doesn't need a "major audit". 2+2=?

It's also a stark warning to other clubs desperate for a takeover. Be careful what you wish for. It doesn't take long for it all to come crashing down.

So true...was it even 12 months?

I understand that Rovers have re-appointed Blackburn accountancy firm PM+M (who had the business for over 100 years up until KPMG got the gig in 2011).

So some great conspiracy theories above, but it does seem to be a perfectly normal business decision (and to the benefit of a local company).

Re-appointed ! That's a nice word, perhaps they would be so kind as to re-appoint the former Chief Executive and his men, oh and maybe the former manager ? No, thought not. Oh well back to the conspiracy theories although I've no idea why they get chucked about in the first place ................then again :rock:

The club could and should grab a bit of positive PR out of this, going back to a local company and all that. As regards to why it still doesn't mean there was nothing more to it than a change. Could still be a strange reason why KPMG pulled the plug and the club have then just gone back to a willing partner that they know and trust.

Again knowing how these things get viewed with concern amongst the fanbase and probably people employed at the club as well a simple club statement could have eased all the concern, speculation.

• Backroom

The club could and should grab a bit of positive PR out of this, going back to a local company and all that. As regards to why it still doesn't mean there was nothing more to it than a change. Could still be a strange reason why KPMG pulled the plug and the club have then just gone back to a willing partner that they know and trust.

Again knowing how these things get viewed with concern amongst the fanbase and probably people employed at the club as well a simple club statement could have eased all the concern, speculation.

Might it just be better for the firm to be given the chance to resign, rather than deemed not good enough?

I read that back and don't believe it either...

I understand that Rovers have re-appointed Blackburn accountancy firm PM+M (who had the business for over 100 years up until KPMG got the gig in 2011).

So some great conspiracy theories above, but it does seem to be a perfectly normal business decision (and to the benefit of a local company).

Good news.

2+2 = Massive unhinged constant pessimism. It's what makes BRFCC such a joy to read.

I must admit when I first read this I also thought the worst though. Misery is clearly contagious.

Good news.

2+2 = Massive unhinged constant pessimism. It's what makes BRFCC such a joy to read.

I must admit when I first read this I also thought the worst though. Misery is clearly contagious.

Given the state of our finances and the gross mismanagement of the club from the moment Venky's stepped into the door, I think people can be forgiven for assuming the worst.

A sensible move.

Good for Porter, Matthews & Marsden!

Good news.

Given they had seemingly happily just signed off on the VLL accounts and it was only two weeks after the BRFC year end, i.e. before auditors would have begun their work, it seemed a sensible and logical point to end the relationship to me.

Re-appointed ! That's a nice word, perhaps they would be so kind as to re-appoint the former Chief Executive and his men, oh and maybe the former manager ? No, thought not. Oh well back to the conspiracy theories although I've no idea why they get chucked about in the first place ................then again :rock:

:o Michael Appleton???

Phil can disappear back under the stone of doom for a little while then.

LET confirming the change of accountants.

With all due respect I hope for their clients sake that some of our accountants are advising them better than us!

Archived