BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dunny A Latic ?

• Moderation Lead

We had a great side then though. Dunn hasn't been able to do 90 minutes for a long time.

That's not to say he shouldn't have been used more last season, but seriously.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the quality of that side wasn't mentioned. The comment said "ever" and was used as a slur to justify his disclusion from a struggling side.

In fairness who would have made a better impact from the start? A one legged Dunn with a concrete boot on or the 3 other names mentioned previous?

He's been played on the left a few times and could possibly have been plonked on in that berth or even the right with 20 to go. We rarely play with both wingers trying to hit the byline or take their man on so he perhaps could have conjured something up a time or two with cutting in, a cute pass or deep accurate cross etc. Was still capable of any of that with the ball at his feet in the right areas. Players with a bit of imagination are no no's these days though :(

• Backroom

To be honest I don't really care what Dunn has to say about last season, I'm sure it you ask Leon Best he will tell you that had he played we would have got more points as well.

League cup final 2002 and probably over 100 other games

The use of ever is over used.

13 years ago and had Mark Hughes in the centre that day next to him. Did Dunny have to nous to change his game to suit age and fitness like sparky? Nope.

A mini revival under allerdyce as a number 10, but in general he's never been fit enough to play solidly.

Doesn't have the consistent first touch, tackling or athleticism for the 442 IMO, and it's funny how a poster mentioned those three defensive mids we have instead, but the discussion was; which striker would you drop for Dunny, not what it was twisted to.

Weaker than a midfield packed with Lowe, Evans & Williamson?

The point is that we'd be more susceptible with a midfield 4 in with someone who will last 45 minutes tops, can't run, can't tackle.

Dunny behind the striker in this league? Yes probably, just look at Bolton at home 2 seasons ago. I'm sure we played 451 that day but I'm probably wrong.

13 years ago and had Mark Hughes in the centre that day next to him. Did Dunny have to nous to change his game to suit age and fitness like sparky? Nope.

A mini revival under allerdyce as a number 10, but in general he's never been fit enough to play solidly.

Doesn't have the consistent first touch, tackling or athleticism for the 442 IMO, and it's funny how a poster mentioned those three defensive mids we have instead, but the discussion was; which striker would you drop for Dunny, not what it was twisted to.

No it was a question, my answer was you didn't need to drop JR or Gestede

Just don't get why people feel the need to slag Dunn off, we'll probably never see another home grown player with his ability or anyone play as many games for the club ever.

So have a word with yourselves and show a but of keaning respect.

Maybe. But now that Dunn has confirmed he was fit, the fact he only even appeared on the bench twice between the end of January and his man of the match farewell against Ipswich is astonishing.

Dunn has openly stated a couple of times he was fit enough to contribute in some capacity. Disgraceful he wasn't used more.

However it's a basic requirement of football to be able to run, preferably quickly and for long periods. Not Dunnys strong point at this stage. Nor Jordans.

As an impact or big game presence he'd have been on my team sheet for sure. I can't say our best player nowadays as I don't think he'd last 30 odd games. But certainly a level above the rest in the current squad.

Featured in all 6 Oldham games so far. Top player for the Rovers, one of my and Gav's all time favourites. ;)

Too much risk for Bowyer to play him. Risk of Dunny doing something exciting, creative, different or match winning, not Bowyers cup of tea at all.

My suspicion is Dunny had words with him and we all know what happens after that..

Too much risk for Bowyer to play him. Risk of Dunny doing something exciting, creative, different or match winning, not Bowyers cup of tea at all.

My suspicion is Dunny had words with him and we all know what happens after that..

I couldn't disagree more with this I'm afraid. At the risk of doing this to death, Dunny is not fit enough to compete at Championship level. He will only play a bit-part in Oldham's season in the league below us this season.

I'm not a massive Bowyer fan but we have enough to criticise the man for without rank speculation adding to it.

Dunny needs to let it go and concentrate on squeezing the last drops out of his career. He hasn't been fit for a long time now, despite what he might say.

Look at our defensive record and tell me what protection our two+ defensive centre mids offered the back four...

The attacking stats between Lowe, Evans and Williamson last season... <drum roll please> Something like one goal and one assist between all three of them. So on top of conceding countless goals where the opposition simply waltzed unopposed through the centre of the park, they also contributed diddly squat going forward.

If you're telling me Dunny couldn't have impacted a game in a more positive manner than the famous BRFC Invisibles, then you don't know what you're talking about (IMO).

I couldn't disagree more with this I'm afraid. At the risk of doing this to death, Dunny is not fit enough to compete at Championship level. He will only play a bit-part in Oldham's season in the league below us this season.

I'm not a massive Bowyer fan but we have enough to criticise the man for without rank speculation adding to it.

Dunny needs to let it go and concentrate on squeezing the last drops out of his career. He hasn't been fit for a long time now, despite what he might say.

To be fair most of us are talking about substitute cameo's from Dunny which he proved he could still handle at champ level. He was given another contract, he was often on the bench so seemingly fit enough and he was mostly over looked. All added another bit to the waste of last season. There should have been all stops pulled out to have a right good go at it before the restrictions kicked in.

To be fair most of us are talking about substitute cameo's from Dunny which he proved he could still handle at champ level. He was given another contract, he was often on the bench so seemingly fit enough and he was mostly over looked. All added another bit to the waste of last season. There should have been all stops pulled out to have a right good go at it before the restrictions kicked in.

To be fair it was this part of the post that I was mainly referring to

"My suspicion is Dunny had words with him and we all know what happens after that."

To be fair it was this part of the post that I was mainly referring to

"My suspicion is Dunny had words with him and we all know what happens after that."

Really? Because you never mentioned it. Just went on about him not neing good enough, looks like you back pedalling. It is just a suspicion, one I think might have some merit.

Really? Because you never mentioned it. Just went on about him not neing good enough, looks like you back pedalling. It is just a suspicion, one I think might have some merit.

Didn't I?

What did you think this was referring to then?

"I'm not a massive Bowyer fan but we have enough to criticise the man for without rank speculation adding to it."

Didn't I?

What did you think this was referring to then?

"I'm not a massive Bowyer fan but we have enough to criticise the man for without rank speculation adding to it."

My apologies for that, I did not catch you were referring to that specific part of my post. What stood out was this

AND THIS.

My APOLOGIES I focused on the main topic of what your post was addressing.

Still I can't in my mind believe Dunny sat fit and ready to go, not be picked and yet not speak with Bowyer about it. Just can't see it to be honest.

My apologies for that, I did not catch you were referring to that specific part of my post. What stood out was this

AND THIS.

My APOLOGIES I focused on the main topic of what your post was addressing.

Still I can't in my mind believe Dunny sat fit and ready to go, not be picked and yet not speak with Bowyer about it. Just can't see it to be honest.

He did speak to Bowyer about it, and was apparently told he wasn't fit enough to play in the formation that GB was proposing. Now you may or may not agree with Bowyer and of course that's a matter of opinion (I do agree with GB, on this rare occasion as it happens) but your insinuation was that he wasn't picked BECAUSE he spoke up.

Not deliberately trying to pick an argument with you my friend but I do respectfully disagree with you on WHY Dunny was overlooked (whether or not we agree on whether he should have been overlooked).

I sincerely hope he gets a few games at Oldham, but I suspect he will be restricted to cameo appearances because he is blowing out of his backside after 20 minutes these days - time and injuries have caught up with him, just like they do with everyone.

He gave us some great memories though!

Not thinking you trying to pick an argument you disagree and that's ok. I am curious now how you know what Bowyer said to Dunny.

Great memories indeed, just wish Sojness had not forced him out the club and we could have had a few more years of him in his prime.

Not thinking you trying to pick an argument you disagree and that's ok. I am curious now how you know what Bowyer said to Dunny.

Great memories indeed, just wish Sojness had not forced him out the club and we could have had a few more years of him in his prime.

Agree on that last point, and I suspect Dunny himself regrets going to Brum.

An ex Rovers player who knows Dunny (but was never a team mate of his, different generation) told me that DD and GB didn't agree on his ability to stay in games (fitness wise). I asked the ex player what he thought, and he just laughed and said "It comes to us all". And so I watched DD with close interest in that last game of the season against Ipswich and though he caught the eye a couple of times, which he will always do because he has a trick or two, he was made to look a mug on several occasions sadly. You could argue that he might still have been a useful member of the subs bench and there may have been merit in that, but I'm a believer in you're either fit to play or you're not. It would appear its the only philosophy I have in common with Bowyer!!

The fact he played longer in that game than he had done for god knows how long might just have affected his rusty engine a bit. Not like judging him being used ten, twenty, thirty mins in games as he should have been last season. No doubt if he was asking to start games he'd be rightly knocked back he's not been fit enough for full games for about 5 yrs. However to play no part whilst still retaining enough fitness to be a sub, never mind still being the best player at the club in a floundering team crying out for a bit of flare and fans craving something to cheer is pretty poor imo.

79 and 81 minutes he has lasted in Oldham's last 2 games. Seems their manager is a bit derelict with his duties seeing as he's apparently "blowing out of his arse after 20 minutes"

Hmmmmm!

Meanwhile Lowe plays for 90 minutes in games and offers nothing.

Archived