BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dunny A Latic ?

I never had Dunny down as a successful manager, at least not in the short term.

He's done very limited coaching, mostly under managers who were hardly great themselves!

Granted he's played under some good ones.

He's done his badges, which is something other "managers" have not finished, as an example.

People do mature you know

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's done his badges, which is something other "managers" have not finished, as an example.

People do mature you know

I wasn't writing him off - I can see he's matured. I just never had him down as a manager.

As someone who loves Dunny I hope he does brilliantly, and often find myself looking at how Oldham have done.

Wasn't aware about him doing all of his badges, fair play I guess.

Tough job for him to start on though, think he could have benefited from an extended time as someone's assistant.

Tough job for him to start on though, think he could have benefited from an extended time as someone's assistant.

Too true. It's like everything else in modern day football, be it success on the pitch for clubs as a whole or players moving into coaching/management. They want it now.

What Dunny should have done was 'learn his trade' or 'serve an apprenticeship' so to speak. Two or three years as an assistant manager with a League 1 or 2 club, then a Championship or Premier League club, then a move to a lower league club as manager. Then hopefully onwards and upwards from there.

The route he has chosen will end in failure and limit his future opportunities. Perhaps a youth team coach somewhere or something similar. It's a hard game and, as others have pointed out, for every success there are 20 or more failures.

Too true. It's like everything else in modern day football, be it success on the pitch for clubs as a whole or players moving into coaching/management. They want it now.

What Dunny should have done was 'learn his trade' or 'serve an apprenticeship' so to speak. Two or three years as an assistant manager with a League 1 or 2 club, then a Championship or Premier League club, then a move to a lower league club as manager. Then hopefully onwards and upwards from there.

The route he has chosen will end in failure and limit his future opportunities. Perhaps a youth team coach somewhere or something similar. It's a hard game and, as others have pointed out, for every success there are 20 or more failures.

Indeed. He could have taken a leaf from Paul Lambert's career path, a much better player with a far more impressive CV who didn't go for the short cuts

Indeed. He could have taken a leaf from Paul Lambert's career path, a much better player with a far more impressive CV who didn't go for the short cuts

Was Lambert much better than Dunny?

If Lambert was English do you think he would have been good enough to get selected for England? Genuine question.

Dunny earned an England cap with competition such as Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard.

If Lambert was English do you think he would have been good enough to get selected for England? Genuine question.

Dunny earned an England cap with competition such as Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard.

Yes, because Lambert delivered, Dunnys talent was better, but his career will always be lesser because it was blighted by injury.

Lambert has a champions league winners medal, they don't give them out to anyone (well apart from David May).

Different types of players. The Lambert's of this World get you on top in a game. The Dunn's of this world murder the opposition when the Lambert's have done the job.

I think he was but that's just my opinion versus yours. If you look at each player's big moves, I'm not sure Birmingham quite matches Borussia Dortmund. My point was, as a Champions League winner, he could have easily been tempted to spurn learning his trade at Livingstone, Wycombe and Colchester before managing at the level Dunny thought he could walk into.

Lambert was a very good footballer in his day. Hardly saying much but he would be Scotland's best player by far if he was around at the moment.

Would he have started for England? Depends who he was competing with. Ince and Batty, then Hargreaves? Have I got that right? Maybe not on Ince's level but certainly as good as the other two.

• 1 month later...

He's not sacked yet but on the brink, fans been calling for his head for a while

Indeed here's the type of comments sent to Dunn's twitter account...

@bourney84

Asking Philliskirk to tuck in on 82 mins to preserve a point against Colchester your a gutless clueless keaner @daviddunny8 resign #oafc

@bourney84

It's been a successful transfer window in my eyes so far David Dumb is running out of players to set up for a draw #attackattackattack #oafc

@dean_hutchings

@daviddunny8 turning round to fans today shrugging what a @#/? as if there nothing wrong you bell end #oafc

@chriscoafc

it's clearly not working under your leadership, if you had any decency you would do the honourable thing & walk away #oafc

@jordanmartin9

Hi @daviddunny8 if you didn't turn up tomorrow or ever again that would be perfect-regards #oafc

@Trains_4_Days

It's annoying too because Simon Corney is such a @#/? it makes David Dunn look like the innocent one! #oafc

@buckshawlatic

arrogance personified

It looks like he will be the manager until tomorrow. If form continues at current rate however its likely they will hit rock bottom soon. The Manchester Evening News states Dunn has been pleading for time. Here's one of Dunn's recent quotes...

“If it doesn’t happen here then it will happen somewhere else and I’ll get it right somewhere else, as that’s the type of character I am."

Being a failure in his first managerial role is unlikely to persuade any other football league clubs to give him a chance. Perhaps he will have to take a backroom position somewhere unless its a non league club. Although they already have a manager perhaps Darwen should make him an offer. It would certainly bump up their crowds at least.

Nowt against Dunny but it seemed a bit underhand how he got the gig in the first place. Personally I don't think he's the right type of character to make a manager, prob a decent no 2 or just a coach and prob be a cracking academy guy. Doubt that would feed his ego though.

Archived