BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dunny A Latic ?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Dunn might not make a good manager but his playing career certainly gives him a head start over those that couldn't even play.

You mean like a Mourinho or Wenger?

Good luck to Dunny really hope he does well, well emough to come back here. And lead us to glory. Funny mo mention of Souness, or Kean or GB.

• Moderation Lead

Best of luck to him, surprised he's got a managerial role so quickly, hope it works out for him! (And, if it does, we can steal him for ourselves further down the line!!)

But, being a good player is absolutely no guarantee of being a good manager, as we know from Paul Ince.

I'm really surpirsed Dunn has got to management so quickly. Never struck me as a natural leader, nor that into the tactical side of the game,assumed he would play on for a year or two and then become a coach. Just shows as a supporter its really hard to any kind of insight into what the players are like off the pitch. To get a gig so big after minimal coaching experience is impressive.

I never thought Sherwood would make a good manager and he's done alright, though wobbling a bit now.

Hope Dunny is a massive success as Oldham and makes his way back to Rovers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Searching his name on Twitter is eye opening at the moment similar to the comments aimed at bowyer:

@Moraisrightboot: Each week worse than the last. @daviddunny8 please stop playing Poleon on his own. He needs a partner otherwise it's a waste of time. #oafc

@nprice3: @OfficialOAFC @daviddunny8 how is he still manager after that Kelly got the bullet after 5.2 home @#/? #oafc

@earley_1: @daviddunny8 Be a man and step aside Dave. Go back to playing if you want. You're going to take us down. It's inevitable #oafc

@mattoldham: I think @daviddunny8 is a genuinely nice chap and means well but unfortunately is not up to the job. #oafc

@GavinODriscoll2: @daviddunny8 leave the club please :) #oafc

@David__Fraser: Right. Has @daviddunny8 been sacked yet? @OfficialOAFC #oafc

He could get advice from Bowyer on how to steady the ship. Oldham took a huge gamble on giving him the manager's job after 5 mins as a player coach, though perhaps Dunny should have known better than to accept it after so little experience at managerial level.

I don't blame Dunny for taking the job, there aren't a massive number of clubs out there willing to take a risk on a total rookie and if it had worked then Dunny would have got to start his managerial career about 5 levels up from where Flitcroft had to start his. If he gets sacked and wants to get another job he'll no doubt have to drop down to non-league but then he's not lost anything compared to just starting there to begin with, and has probably learnt a bit too.

At the end of the day there are far more failures among rookie managers than there are successes, and it doesn't have that much to do with how good a player someone was. I hope he manages to make a career out of it in the end but its no surprise at all to me that he's currently not doing. For every Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink sipping his tea on the touchline and powering Burton up the league, there are 10-20 Dunnys, Sherwoods, Bowyers, Shearers etc who crash and burn.

He needs at least 2 1/2 years to steady the ship before he gets potted

His biggest problem will be the standard of players he has and can they step up to Dunny's standards and how he wants them to play

I think it's more likely that he lacks the experience, nous and basic intelligence to focus on what makes league 1 teams win games - ie being hard to beat, upping commitment, work ethic etc. Nothing in his career or interviews tells me that he understands that side of the game.

Dunny was a great player but has never come across as savvy enough to be a manager. That's my opinion and I'm not suprised that he's struggling.

I do agree with the initial point though, the club have "made their bed" and should lie in it for a season or two!

Perhaps he will suprise us, and perhaps I'm being unfair by criticising him based on my perception of him being a bit "thick" :)

Time will tell.

I think it's more likely that he lacks the experience, nous and basic intelligence to focus on what makes league 1 teams win games - ie being hard to beat, upping commitment, work ethic etc. Nothing in his career or interviews tells me that he understands that side of the game.

Dunny was a great player but has never come across as savvy enough to be a manager. That's my opinion and I'm not suprised that he's struggling.

I do agree with the initial point though, the club have "made their bed" and should lie in it for a season or two!

Perhaps he will suprise us, and perhaps I'm being unfair by criticising him based on my perception of him being a bit "thick" :)

Time will tell.

He can't be that "thick" he runs a successful business

He can't be that "thick" he runs a successful business

Now that comment was tongue cheek, hence smiley. I'd never put people in boxes in terms of intelligence it's the old "fish climbing a tree" malarkey.

All I'm saying is he never came over like a manager to me. He might be a successful business owner but that means nothing in the manager scheme of things.

He was hardly a role model either, especially in his young 20s which I think is a starting point for most successful managers.

Now that comment was tongue cheek, hence smiley. I'd never put people in boxes in terms of intelligence it's the old "fish climbing a tree" malarkey.

All I'm saying is he never came over like a manager to me. He might be a successful business owner but that means nothing in the manager scheme of things.

He was hardly a role model either, especially in his young 20s which I think is a starting point for most successful managers.

Bit of a contradiction there JB

Is this in property, or something else?

Think he has a few irons in the fire

Bit of a contradiction there JB

Think he has a few irons in the fire

He was hardly a role model when he was younger. Wtf has that got to do with intelligence?

You've made the link there I'm afraid, but it's not just thick idiots who go out drinking.

Childish, selfish and misguided would be the way I'd describe a potential England player going out drinking twice a week in Harwood, Accy etc.

On one hand though, it does give scope to Dunny in terms of knowing the signs of other young talents wasting their chance on chasing supermodels and beer.

I never had Dunny down as a successful manager, at least not in the short term.

He's done very limited coaching, mostly under managers who were hardly great themselves!

Granted he's played under some good ones.

Archived