BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dunny A Latic ?

you didn't and i didn't say you had.

did we have the best defence, midfield and goalkeeper?

I think we had a squad capable of reaching the top six, some players who would walk into the top sides, some who wouldn't. I'm not saying we had the best squad in the league, but one of them. With the goalscoring potential in the team, any half decent manager could achieve a 9th place finish like Bowyer did IMO. Tactics, selections, subs, fitness, arguably motivation. Many areas severely lacking. Whilst you might be hopeful of improvement, I'm not. I just don't see any clear plan or direction with Bowyer at the helm, except to plod along and occasionally make money on transfers. End result is us losing millions each year and gradually weakening, with a manager without the traits capable of spurring a team on for promotion. How much debt do we have to be in before we decide a change is necessary?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen this thread (which seems to have moved away from talking about Dunn?)

Without picking on any particular post, there seems to be plenty of conspiracy theories about Dunny and GB and why the former didn't get game time last season. Well, contrary to what a couple of you have posted about his last appearance in a Rovers shirt, it was blatantly obvious to me that his legs have gone for this level. He was blowing out of his backside and was getting knocked off the ball constantly by players not fit to lace a younger Dunny's boots. And it wasn't just a lack of match fitness, he didn't have the legs at all. You might argue he would have been ok for the odd cameo performance over the season and I would have some sympathy with that, but it will be interesting to see how many times he starts games for Oldham this season, a division lower.

And this isn't me criticising Dunny, because for his exploits against Burnley alone he will be classed as a club legend, but it comes to every player eventually, and to answer one poster, THAT is the main reason why you see few prem players dropping to the lower leagues at the end of their careers, it must be galling to have young whippersnappers with limited ability taking the p1ss out of you, when you've played at the very highest level.

Good luck to the lad anyway.

I've been one of his biggest critics in the last couple of seasons but at the end of the day, Bowyer gave him another contract last Summer and then stopped playing him. It appeared that he wasn't fit but Dunn has come out and said he was fit but Bowyer didn't want him in the side. He shouldn't have been handed a contract if he wasn't fit. He wasn't going to get fitter.

All that said, he made a massive difference in that match. Blowing or not. A player like Dunn would need to be kept match fit to get regular 45-60 minutes out of him. If that wasn't what we wanted, or what he was capable of, we should have said our goodbyes this time last year. It's not like we have money to burn. As it is, a former great at this club left under a cloud instead of a fanfare.

I've been one of his biggest critics in the last couple of seasons but at the end of the day, Bowyer gave him another contract last Summer and then stopped playing him. It appeared that he wasn't fit but Dunn has come out and said he was fit but Bowyer didn't want him in the side. He shouldn't have been handed a contract if he wasn't fit. He wasn't going to get fitter.

All that said, he made a massive difference in that match. Blowing or not. A player like Dunn would need to be kept match fit to get regular 45-60 minutes out of him. If that wasn't what we wanted, or what he was capable of, we should have said our goodbyes this time last year. It's not like we have money to burn. As it is, a former great at this club left under a cloud instead of a fanfare.

Matt Jansen & Dunny, the new Clough and Taylor

Just seen this thread (which seems to have moved away from talking about Dunn?)

Without picking on any particular post, there seems to be plenty of conspiracy theories about Dunny and GB and why the former didn't get game time last season. Well, contrary to what a couple of you have posted about his last appearance in a Rovers shirt, it was blatantly obvious to me that his legs have gone for this level. He was blowing out of his backside and was getting knocked off the ball constantly by players not fit to lace a younger Dunny's boots. And it wasn't just a lack of match fitness, he didn't have the legs at all. You might argue he would have been ok for the odd cameo performance over the season and I would have some sympathy with that, but it will be interesting to see how many times he starts games for Oldham this season, a division lower.

And this isn't me criticising Dunny, because for his exploits against Burnley alone he will be classed as a club legend, but it comes to every player eventually, and to answer one poster, THAT is the main reason why you see few prem players dropping to the lower leagues at the end of their careers, it must be galling to have young whippersnappers with limited ability taking the p1ss out of you, when you've played at the very highest level.

Good luck to the lad anyway.

It's cause they dont need the money more like. Spanning the decades there weren't many whippersnappers taking the mick out of Dave Mackay at Derby plus our own Kevin Moran and David Speedie and Howard Kendall and Gordon Cowans were real class acts.

It's cause they dont need the money more like. Spanning the decades there weren't many whippersnappers taking the mick out of Dave Mackay at Derby plus our own Kevin Moran and David Speedie and Howard Kendall and Gordon Cowans were real class acts.

A Kevin Moran is exactly what we need at the moment

Marvellous players we could do with the lot of em. But playing playground team selection I'd take Speedie just in front of Kendall.

Your pick again...

Yep Speeedie, just a bit more edge,

For creativity I would like an Eamonn Rogers in his pomp

Getting rave reviews by Oldham fans on twitter following his second appearance tonight.

Also he was one of the 5,000 last night at Ewood. Not sat in the directors seats but sat in front of me in the normal paying seats in the jack walker upper with his young lad who had his rovers top on.

Dunn must have been watching that shambles last night knowing full well he could offer a lot better.

• Backroom

Getting rave reviews by Oldham fans on twitter following his second appearance tonight.

Also he was one of the 5,000 last night at Ewood. Not sat in the directors seats but sat in front of me in the normal paying seats in the jack walker upper with his young lad who had his rovers top on.

Dunn must have been watching that shambles last night knowing full well he could offer a lot better.

Perhaps glad to get out of the asylum?

I think the club has been more of a cash cow for old dunny rather than an asylum.

Well thats just a bit of a silly remark isn't it Feni Blue......

Dunny has played over 300 games for the club, i'd wager we'll not see another player make so many appearances for the club in our lifetime.

So have some respect :tu:

• Backroom

I'd say the last 3 years he's been more of a drain on resources actually and has been getting a lot more than he deserved

He deserved a damn sight more than anyone associated with the club since 3pm Saturday.

Oldham fans raving about Dunny - one described his debut as 'love at first sight', another said it was like when the coach joins in for the last 5 minutes of an under-8 training session.

Even the Boro Twitter account seemed impressed with him last night.

Even now, he's streets ahead of some of the rubbish in our midfield.

Cowans was some player. An early 90s Tugay.

Got us back into the game in the Derby playoff first leg. Spraying the ball around imperiously.

1992 promotion team:

Mimms, Wright, Price, Hendry, Moran, Cowans, Atkins, Sellars, Wilcox, Speedie, Newell.

2001:

Friedel, Curtis, Bjornebye, Short, Berg, Berkovic, Duff, Dunn, Flitcroft, Bent, Jansen (Hignett, Hughes, Gillespie et al on the bench)

2015:

:mellow:

Dunn was streets ahead of anything in our side last season when he did play, so it's no surprise to hear Oldham fans' views on him. Why he only ever had the odd run out last season when he was supposedly fit has to be down to Bowyer.

Because he couldn't last a full championship game? In terms of raw ability, Dunn was class, but he could never last beyond 50/60 mins. Him claiming that he was fit for the whole season doesn't really change the matter. Ultimately, he is now playing L1 football for a reason.

I was speaking to someone this morning (an ex pro) who was at Boundary Park last night. He said that Dunny did a few eye catching things but his fitness levels these days mean he will likely be a cameo player only, and he would be surprised to see him start many games. It was a kind way of saying 'his legs have gone'. This is a lower division than us remember. I hope the lad proves that particular pundit wrong but I have to say that was the impression I got of him last season, on the rare occasions he did play. I cannot agree that he was 'streets ahead of anything' at all last season. But he still has (and will always have I suppose) that wee trick or bit of skill that will catch the eye.

The David Dunn of 2001 was irrepressible, not convinced that the 2015 version could cut it at Championship level at all. He certainly couldn't control a game in the way, say, Gordon Cowans did at the end of his career. I'm sorry if that isn't popular on here but time waits for no man, and cameo appearances for a lower league club is all I'm expecting from the 35/36 year old Dunn.

• Moderation Lead

Dunn was quality in parts last season, but he couldn't do 90 minutes at this level. He probably should have played more, especially given how devoid our central midfield is of creativity.

Let's be honest though, if Dunn was still able to boss the Championship, he'd be at another Championship club.......

Archived