SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League 2015/16 Thread

DE.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Think McLean was being goaded by the Sunderland fans most of the game, and gave a little back at the end. Happened countless times before and will no doubt happen many more times in the future.

That is one sport I simply cannot get into. I find it hard to believe people can get passionate about it.....

Really? The Scotland Australia game was immense imo, one of the greatest sporting contests I have ever seen. Totally gutted for Scotland.

In terms of really batteling tight performances this rugby world cup has been exceptional. The game is so skillful now with a lot of passing when tackled or on the ground.

To be honest if the Euros next summer manage to get together as many compelling matches as this RWC has (and we've still the semis and final to go) it will have done bloody well.

• Moderation Lead

I'm just really not a fan jbn, I have tried and can't get there at all. It's not like I don't like any sports other than football, I've never managed to get into rugby union or league!

• Backroom

Don't think that wijnaldum will be at Newcastle too long, snapped up by a champs league side come the summer, maybe even by January..

I'm surprised United didn't go for him rather than Depay. I think he'll definitely be at a bigger club before too long.

I'm just really not a fan jbn, I have tried and can't get there at all. It's not like I don't like any sports other than football, I've never managed to get into rugby union or league!

I'm with you on that one. What I don't understand is people who don't watch a sport regularly suddenly becoming hugely interested during a big event. Surely you either like the sport and want to follow it, or you don't? The reason I don't watch rugby is because it doesn't interest me, regardless of the competition. Same with cricket and golf, I'm just not interested whether it's the Ashes or the Masters. Tennis is probably the only sport I'll occasionally watch even though I don't really follow it, but even so I wouldn't seek it out intentionally, I may just have it on if I've got nothing better to do.

Agreed Matty, Rugby's one of the most tactical games there is. Every single time the ball is recycled in a maul or a ruck, or after a scrum or a lineout, set tactical plays are used, all worked on on the training ground to target opponent weaknesses and exploit team and individual strengths.

If there's one sport more driven from the managers chair I can't think of it. Actually American Football is way out ahead on that score, but rugby after that.

I've never been a huge rugby fan, but the people who direct the sport have done a great job in encouraging (through rule and culture changes) a running rather than kicking game. Football is stymied somewhat by rigid rules where you can survive by playing very defensive boring football based on long balls (Bowyers for example had a long phase of this...). Rugby's addressed that by making the rules around kicking much more difficult, and defensive penalties much more prevalent, encouraging an attacking ball carrying game in order to survive.

Also - to DEs point about dipping in and out of rugby - the way the rugby schedule is handled with yearly competition you can easily follow the national team (around 10 matches a year) and get enough of a fix without bothering with club games.

But obviously each to their own - if you don't like it you don't like it!

Sherwood face look like he knows his time is up

You say that as though it is normal.

Surely every manager needs 5 years, 9 transfer windows, 35 over their own players, and a relegation before they can be judged?

It really makes no sense that every other manager in the football league has to live and die by results - except at Rovers, where a failure who is a nice guy needs as much time as possible.

Archived