BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League 2015/16 Thread

DE.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the reputed £30m payoff is true, I don't see the point sacking him now. They're so far adrift now that I doubt a new manager could improve things dramatically, they might as well stick with Jose till the end of the season and hope he turns it around or even cracks under the pressure and walks.

30 million is like Roman dropping a fiver. The money is irrelevant.

A new manager would turn this around in weeks.

Villa missed a trick when Allardyce went to Sunderland. Not only have they missed out on the best man to keep them up but he's joined one of their direct rivals for the bottom 3, and if I were a betting man my money would be on Sunderland staying up ahead of Villa.

Villa missed a trick when Allardyce went to Sunderland. Not only have they missed out on the best man to keep them up but he's joined one of their direct rivals for the bottom 3, and if I were a betting man my money would be on Sunderland staying up ahead of Villa.

Totally agree.

Villa are a shambles. Lambert should have been the right appointment but it hasn't come off. They need to stop experimenting and get some established quality in.

Sadly Lerner doesn't seem to learn.

Unless the new manager is a gem they are screwed.

Who exactly is this Jzestede fella who plays for Villa?

It's amazing how even commentators, who are supposed to spend their week resarching and memorising obscure facts obviously didn't watch or listen to any Championship football last season.

I blame Chris Sutton, as he kept referring to 'Jestede' in the Liverpool game last season- you know the game when the rest of football went 'oh Blackburn Rovers, weren't they in the PL in the 90s or summat?'

It's amazing how even commentators, who are supposed to spend their week resarching and memorising obscure facts obviously didn't watch or listen to any Championship football last season.

I blame Chris Sutton, as he kept referring to 'Jestede' in the Liverpool game last season- you know the game when the rest of football went 'oh Blackburn Rovers, weren't they in the PL in the 90s or summat?'

How do you pronounce it then?

With a "hard" G or with a J sound?

Who exactly is this Jzestede fella who plays for Villa?

To be fair Stuart I think that's how its pronounced.

How do you pronounce it then?

With a "hard" G or with a J sound?

I think its pronounced in exactly the way the commentator pronounced it last night.

To be fair Stuart I think that's how its pronounced.

Yes - the Premier League commentators contact players I think and ask for preferred pronunciation. Don't think that happens in the Championship.

Though thinking about it Radio Rovers should have got it right seeing as they interviewed him and knew him well? They have always called him Gestede with a hard G. It would be a bit weird if they got it wrong for two years.

There are plenty of examples over the years of commentators pronouncing players' names wrongly. They aren't always long or complex names either. John Filan is one that readily springs to mind. I've heard the 'i' pronounced as an 'e' and an 'i' at different times.

There are plenty of examples over the years of commentators pronouncing players' names wrongly. They aren't always long or complex names either. John Filan is one that readily springs to mind. I've heard the 'i' pronounced as an 'e' and an 'i' at different times.

"PHELAN, PHELAN" the chant would go.

:blink:

Yes - the Premier League commentators contact players I think and ask for preferred pronunciation. Don't think that happens in the Championship.

Though thinking about it Radio Rovers should have got it right seeing as they interviewed him and knew him well? They have always called him Gestede with a hard G. It would be a bit weird if they got it wrong for two years.

Agreed. The PL contacting players surely can't get as intimate a relationship with a player as the club he plays for!! That said, it is Rovers! My money is on ignorant PL commentators.

• Backroom

Josh King starts up front for Bournemouth today...

Probably summing up his career, very lively and looking dangerous but the end product not quite there

Best player for Bournemouth so far though

• Backroom

Probably summing up his career, very lively and looking dangerous but the end product not quite there

Yeah. King's best position seems to be playing up top, but his finishing isn't quite there which makes him ineffective as a striker. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't really have the on-pitch intelligence to play effectively out wide, and his crosses aren't of a very good standard either. He really needs to improve his composure over the next couple of years, or he'll be back in the Championship for the remainder of his career imo.

Archived