BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

Yazz the only way is up baby

Wish these pillocks ( can I say that or will someone grass me) would stfu and stop embarrassing us fans intelligence. It's pathetic and it's really getting on my nerves now . Everything's all about establishment propaganda and talking to Pune half wits . I'm starting really starting to question wether it's actually all worth it .

Then there's that journo spreading deciept @#/? and lies. That piece stinks of the scummy agent .

• Like 1

Shane Duffy has an epiphany and totally nails how to do well in this league. Nobody has ever thought of this before...

What can possibly stop us now?

Judging from how we've been doing, I can well believe round Brockhall way this is an original thought.

Good to see the PR defense machine in full working order...

Absolutely unreal that after the last 5 years, Allardyce still has his detractors.

It's not just this place, a bloke at Ewood told me it 'was still the right decision' on Friday. Such nonsense used to make me angry, now I'm just bemused.

All the club needed was to hold on to the PL for 3/4 more years, just look at also ran PL clubs like West Brom, they can now turn down £30million bids for their players and buy their own at £15million+ solely down to the new TV deal. Look at what well run clubs like Swansea are acheiving on average crowds of 20,000.

Those clubs could and should have been us. As John Williams used to say, 'we are the model' for aspiring middle to small ranked football clubs.

Keeping Allardyce would have helped us be part of the PL cartel for the forseeable future, securing our future for generations, but 'it was still the right decision' he said as he looked out on an empty Ewood Park as we sat in the bottom 3 of the Championship.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

Souness was a short term proposition? I'd take it.

Promotion, league cup, finished 6th..

Some 3 years that!

Ha! You can't pick cherry-pick, you have to take the inevitable relegation that was coming when he left us for Newcastle as well!

What happened to all that momentum in the 3 years about which you rightly enthuse?

Everyone. I'm in a minority but all it needed was a proper appointment and modest investment. Sadly we had no nowt buffoons in charge directed by crooks.

All the *there's nobody but sam who could have kept us going* is frankly ridiculous, as West Ham will show. I'm still of the opinion that we were 2/3 seasons off going down anyway due to lack of investment. Sam would have bailed to save his skin under the spurious retirement excuse he was already hatching at the time.

Anyway it's old and boring and it's been done to death. Back to discussing being relegated again because the right idea was executed by the wrong people :(

Everyone? Not me. Not Theno either as I recall. Sam was the perfect fit for a club like our's. The Paul Ince debacle showed we were only ever one bad appointment away from disaster.Not a risk worth taking as I said at the time.

Everyone. I'm in a minority but all it needed was a proper appointment and modest investment. Sadly we had no nowt buffoons in charge directed by crooks.

All the *there's nobody but sam who could have kept us going* is frankly ridiculous, as West Ham will show. I'm still of the opinion that we were 2/3 seasons off going down anyway due to lack of investment. Sam would have bailed to save his skin under the spurious retirement excuse he was already hatching at the time.

Anyway it's old and boring and it's been done to death. Back to discussing being relegated again because the right idea was executed by the wrong people :(

I had a gut feeling the day Sam was sacked that it was the beginning of the end for us. It was not the "right idea" at all and probably the worst decision I have seen at Ewood in 50 plus years of supporting the club.

• Like 4

All the club needed was to hold on to the PL for 3/4 more years,

The chances of that were diminishing year on year through lack of investment. Even multi champions league winning Allardyce (He must be to have this strange reputation that is gargantuanly bigger than the sum of his parts) was angling for an excuse to jump ship before the sheet hit the fan. Retirement he called it. Even in the final weeks he was putting the feelers out for a new job. Like I said in hindsight anything can be claimed. Even the clairvoyant notion that everything that has come to pass was foreseen at the time. More utter revisionist tripe :rock: Nobody knew just how wrong they'd get it and they couldn't have done more wrong if they tried. 4 utterly useless and pointless managers later............

I had a gut feeling the day Sam was sacked that it was the beginning of the end for us. It was not the "right idea" at all and probably the worst decision I have seen at Ewood in 50 plus years of supporting the club.

Kenny going upstairs trumps it in a non-revisionist world ;)

As DE says all this from a comment about the most pointless tactic in the history of football......the long throw :D

Edited by Rover_Shaun

Unbelievable how far our club has fallen in 5 short years.

From a comfortable mid Prem club to a club in the bottom 3 of the Championship led by, IMV, a charmless and incompetent manager with some fans salivating over the signings of the likes of Barrow and Lawrence who last Friday, sat on the bench, deemed not good enough to start.

It's even beyond fiction.

• Like 1

Unbelievable how far our club has fallen in 5 short years.

From a comfortable mid Prem club to a club in the bottom 3 of the Championship led by, IMV, a charmless and incompetent manager with some fans salivating over the signings of the likes of Barrow and Lawrence who last Friday, sat on the bench, deemed not good enough to start.

It's even beyond fiction.

And still the trees are blocked by woods for some Edited by Rover_Shaun

The chances of that were diminishing year on year through lack of investment. Even multi champions league winning Allardyce (He must be to have this strange reputation that is gargantuanly bigger than the sum of his parts) was angling for an excuse to jump ship before the sheet hit the fan. Retirement he called it. Even in the final weeks he was putting the feelers out for a new job. Like I said in hindsight anything can be claimed. Even the clairvoyant notion that everything that has come to pass was foreseen at the time. More utter revisionist tripe :rock:Nobody knew just how wrong they'd get it and they couldn't have done more wrong if they tried. 4 utterly useless and pointless managers later............

No, but plenty said that sacking Allardyce WAS wrong. In fact, I went on and on about it to anyone that would listen from day 1. Pull out my posts from the time or have been sitting in my area of Ewood.

Ok, with minimal invesment who had more chance of keeping us up there? The bloke who had seen and done it or a punt in to the unknown? We had just tried that after Hughes went.

Just admit it Shaun, it was a dreadful, unnecessary desicion that has hastened our demise.

• Like 1

The chances of that were diminishing year on year through lack of investment. Even multi champions league winning Allardyce (He must be to have this strange reputation that is gargantuanly bigger than the sum of his parts) was angling for an excuse to jump ship before the sheet hit the fan. Retirement he called it. Even in the final weeks he was putting the feelers out for a new job. Like I said in hindsight anything can be claimed. Even the clairvoyant notion that everything that has come to pass was foreseen at the time. More utter revisionist tripe :rock: Nobody knew just how wrong they'd get it and they couldn't have done more wrong if they tried. 4 utterly useless and pointless managers later............

As DE says all this from a comment about the most pointless tactic in the history of football......the long throw :D

In fact that long throw got us quite a few points. What Allardyce did was to maximise every strength we had. Absolutely necessary when

we were short in many areas because, as you say, the funding had run out. I hope you weren't one of the fans on here demanding more attrctive football? Attractive football is winning football. I will never forget that 2-1 home victory over Spurs who had outclassed us all day! Samba up front terrifying their keeper, those were the days!

• Like 2

Kenny going upstairs trumps it in a non-revisionist world ;)

Nothing to do with hindsight. Call it experience or old age but it wasn't difficult for many people to see at the time that sacking Sam Allardyce at that stage made no sense and was likely to lead to disaster.

• Like 1

The two wins vs Burnley stand out for me from his reign. Especially at Turf Moor, the players looked ridiculously up for it - the celebrations at the end were telling. The management in those games was excellent, and Big Sam obviously instilled the perfect mindset for the players for those games. The fans played a massive part too with the fantastic atmospheres, but nobody can doubt Big Sam's record in the big games. The contrast with Laws was astounding, Big Sam got it spot on - his use of Olsson that day was superb.

Comment above from Sambo on the Allardyce thread just after his sacking. Just remember this when we get our 2 inevitable dickings at the hands of the apes this season while the impassive one watches on helplessly.

• Like 5

Absolutely unreal that after the last 5 years, Allardyce still has his detractors.

It's not just this place, a bloke at Ewood told me it 'was still the right decision' on Friday. Such nonsense used to make me angry, now I'm just bemused.

All the club needed was to hold on to the PL for 3/4 more years, just look at also ran PL clubs like West Brom, they can now turn down £30million bids for their players and buy their own at £15million+ solely down to the new TV deal. Look at what well run clubs like Swansea are acheiving on average crowds of 20,000.

Those clubs could and should have been us. As John Williams used to say, 'we are the model' for aspiring middle to small ranked football clubs.

Keeping Allardyce would have helped us be part of the PL cartel for the forseeable future, securing our future for generations, but 'it was still the right decision' he said as he looked out on an empty Ewood Park as we sat in the bottom 3 of the Championship.

It absolutely wasn't the right decision. But it was made worse by being followed by dozens and dozens of wrong decisions. With Allarrdyce and Williams went the last of our credibility.

That's what it's all about. Some would like to think it's hovering around in mid to low table. Ask an Arsenal fan in 40 years what they have the fondest memories of. The trophies or the time they came 4th in 2012? Obviously only a hand full of clubs can win something and at the time of Sam was a good appointment in these days where cash is more important than the sport.

My fondest memories are Full Members Cup, Play off win, League title, Promotion, League cup and not finishing 7th in 1996. Obviously the Sam era will be looked at with twisted rose tinted glasses because "those that will still not be protested against" ballsed it all up. But at the time prior to the Indian storm it was akin to just existing and not living. He was a justifiable means to an end but you can't blame fans for the folly of dreams. (bloody stupid damn venkys) Only Notts County and Bolton haven't sack him, he's that good

Even Schteeve McClaren, the wally with the brolly has a trophy to his name. Who did he beat in the final pray tell? ;)

Anyway we have digressed. So lets return to discussing possible Relegation and the common opinion that Spurrs long throws are a waste of time ;)

Your opinion, not necessarily the common opinion Shaun.Apart from the odd televised match and a few highlights on TV. Have you ever witnessed Spurr's long throws?

Absolutely bang on.

This myth that the Premier League is 'seeing off' the smaller and more unfashionable clubs, becoming a 'closed shop' and that 'never again' could a club like Rovers hope to break in and become established is even today being blown out of the water by a large number of clubs currently enjoying the richest of the division with fanbases and infrastructure no greater than ours.

There will always be space in the Premier League for the smaller clubs who do their business properly. The ongoing successes of Crystal Palace, Swansea, West Brom and Stoke show that. They have become established Premier League sides looking to push on whilst having nothing that we don't/didn't have. They have just replaced us as they have their houses in order and are well managed throughout whilst we have taken their places as struggling under mismanagement.

Beyond the watershed decision to dispense with Allardyce and Williams which threw away almost guaranteed Premier League survival year on year some blame has to go to the owners of the club before Venkys, who treated the club as an unwanted hindrance and refused to invest serious money into keeping the club clear of trouble. Had it not been for the ability of Allardyce we would have gone down before Venkys were ever heard of, in no small part due to a lack of investment and selling off the clubs best players every year to generate funds.

• Like 1

Absolutely bang on.

This myth that the Premier League is 'seeing off' the smaller and more unfashionable clubs, becoming a 'closed shop' and that 'never again' could a club like Rovers hope to break in and become established is even today being blown out of the water by a large number of clubs currently enjoying the richest of the division with fanbases and infrastructure no greater than ours.

There will always be space in the Premier League for the smaller clubs who do their business properly. The ongoing successes of Crystal Palace, Swansea, West Brom and Stoke show that. They have become established Premier League sides looking to push on whilst having nothing that we don't/didn't have. They have just replaced us as they have their houses in order and are well managed throughout whilst we have taken their places as struggling under mismanagement.

Beyond the watershed decision to dispense with Allardyce and Williams which threw away almost guaranteed Premier League survival year on year some blame has to go to the owners of the club before Venkys, who treated the club as an unwanted hindrance and refused to invest serious money into keeping the club clear of trouble. Had it not been for the ability of Allardyce we would have gone down before Venkys were ever heard of, in no small part due to a lack of investment and selling off the clubs best players every year to generate funds.

True. We tend to forget that the Walker family starved us of investment for years before they offloaded us. Hiding behind the trust of course.

Incredible really isn't it. I've always thought there are intelligent fans who can see the long-term (in this case the Allardyce supporters), less intelligent who could only see the short-term (his detractors), and now it appears a new breed of fan who experience the long term as time progresses, and still insist they were right.

"but 'it was still the right decision' he said as he looked out on an empty Ewood Park as we sat in the bottom 3 of the Championship"

Its almost haunting the magnitude and significance of that statement. We have fans who have witnessed the biggest mistake in 140 years of Blackburn Rovers and who are still adamant it was the correct decision. The cult of "anti-hoofball" really was a fanatical one. I notice there's a lot less of it now amongst fans in general as more and more clubs are abandoning passing your way up the pitch as a consistently viable option.

Edited by Steve Kean's Hypnotoad
  • Like 3

blueyedboy is hell of a good read:

https://blueyedboy.wordpress.com/

An good example of his writing is:

''Anything which generates a corner, throw-in or free-kick has to be preferable to playing it out from the back through our midfield, which you might describe as pedestrian were it not for the fact that most folk you pass on the pavement have an idea where they’re going and a vague concept of how to get there''

Mods - ''The Relegation Thread'' should be pinned - it's going to be in use all season long.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

Blueboy is the only thing worth reading that doesn't boil your blood

Never has the retention of the likes of Williamson, Brown and Chris Taylor looked more like folly and the inexplicable signing of the ultimate footballing Ethelred The Unready, Petshi, assumes even more bonkers proportions each passing week he is not even featured at Under-21 Level.

A complete waste of a space, I feel.

Edited by Rover_Shaun
  • Like 3