BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never rated that Lineker. Never contributed out side the box, poor show that.

Yeah, but his pace off the mark and his ability to go off the shoulder of the last defender made teams play twenty yards further down the pitch. Rhodes hasn't got that pace and ability so teams push us back up the pitch to twenty yards from the half way line. Apart from putting jumpers down on the local common did you ever play football at a serious level ? I would have thought the difference between the two players was obvious to the proverbial blind man on a galloping horse.

Yeah, but his pace off the mark and his ability to go off the shoulder of the last defender made teams play twenty yards further down the pitch. Rhodes hasn't got that pace and ability so teams push us back up the pitch to twenty yards from the half way line. Apart from putting jumpers down on the local common did you ever play football at a serious level ? I would have thought the difference between the two players was obvious to the proverbial blind man on a galloping horse.

I did play football at local league level until I did my ACL in, don't know what thats got to with owt.

The comment was tongue in cheek, but I wasn't making a direct comparison, no doubt, Liniker was the better player. It was more directed at those that are having a go at Rhodes for just being a box player. When Rhodes is banging in the goals he's worth his weight in gold and IMO if we improve the service to him thats what he'll bring.

Those that are advocating getting rid of him are wrong in IMO.

I did play football at local league level until I did my ACL in, don't know what thats got to with owt.

The comment was tongue in cheek, but I wasn't making a direct comparison, no doubt, Liniker was the better player. It was more directed at those that are having a go at Rhodes for just being a box player. When Rhodes is banging in the goals he's worth his weight in gold and IMO if we improve the service to him thats what he'll bring.

Those that are advocating getting rid of him are wrong in IMO.

Yep, he was a lot better player and he was a lot better player for really one reason - he had pace. If he got away most defenders wouldn't catch him.

Why loans only - are the owners serious about making a promotion push ? If we need to raise cash there's a very average non-contributing forward we could offload.

We could probably get better players on loan than we could actually (afford to) buy, seems like a good plan to me

• Backroom

Why loans only - are the owners serious about making a promotion push ? If we need to raise cash there's a very average non-contributing forward we could offload.

Stoke famously got up with up to 5 loaned players on the pitch at any one time!

Not ideal, but I'm inclined to trust PL's judgement.

When does Wilson's loan end? And Vydra's? I know that loan fees were paid for both of those

End of the season.

I think we can/should be able to get 2 good loan players in here. Hoping for the odd cash player.

We can get players in on loan and offer them a permanent move if they perform aswell.

Gotta agree - who would have thought an ageing Turkish midfield player bought from the Scottish Premiership would go onto be one of our modern greats ? Indeed our recent history is littered with aging players that got a second lease of live from Stapleton to Moran to Cowans to Gale etc etc

Tugay wasn't stepping down a level.

I'm not suggesting that we stonewall signing any experienced Prem players, but of the names mentioned, none of them fill me with confidence. Like I said, I'd rather we unearthed a team of players who have ambition and a point to prove, in a similar vein to Bournemouth, rather than the likes of N'Zogbia, who Lambert couldn't get a tune out of at Villa.

If we get rid of Rhodes like a fair few want who do we replace him with this is not a dig at anyone I'd like to hear suggestions.

Adam Armstrong possibly with a target man partner if I'm suggesting anything

Bamford if his palace loans cut short.

Wanted ALF in the summer but he does not appear to have done a lot at wolves

Tony Watt looks a better player than Jones on tonight's showing

I agree about Le Fondre. If Rhodes had have gone in summer I would have seen him as a decent replacement on the cheap but if he's not doing it at Wolves maybe we dodged a bullet. Time and tide wait for no man, maybe his tide has gone out.

• Backroom

Considering the amount of crap we've been saddled with on permanent deals in the past few years, I'm okay with the majority of our signings being loan deals. If it works out, great, try and negotiate a permanent deal (as we did with King, Cairney and Evans), if not, try a different player.

The only position I'd say we need a permanent signing is right back, otherwise loans should be able to supplement what we already have. I certainly wouldn't want us offering permanent deals to the likes of N'Zogbia or Agbonlahor. The former's attitude stinks, and the latter has always been overrated and already seems past his prime at only 29.

From Andy Bayes who has been speaking to Paul Lambert

.@OneRovers manager Paul Lambert confirms that his January business will be "more or less loans". @BBCLancsSport https://t.co/ljxHR3mUo0

If I had a budget to buy, I'd hardly broadcast that to the world. I'd reference my poverty, make some inquiries, and do my business privately, all the while moaning the sellers are breaking my bank.

Crowing about having money and wanting to buy only leads to people raising their prices.

I wouldn't sell Rhodes personally. It just surprises how many cannot see past his goals. The first 5 matches of PL's tenure are proof that the sum of the TEAM parts is much greater than any individual player.

Oh and to the person who pointed out that Gary Lineker was a good'un - correct but how many Linekers currently play regular in elite football? The answer is barely none. The reason is because teams cannot afford to play a poacher and a striker. 442 is virtually gone in favour of 451 433 etc.

The modern day striker is is expected to be quick, strong and good on the ball...as well as be able to score.

Rhodes would have been lauded in the early premiership years of little n large strike partnerships... Cole n Yorke, Shearer and Sutton, Quinn and Phillips etc but the game has moved on. Developed tactically and managers don't want to carry a forward who can score but is pretty awful at the rest.

Rhodes certainly isn't awful at the rest that's over egging it a bit we've seen some decent games from him early this and in parts last season. He just only really suits an open style of play and now just like times last season when the focus was on lumping the ball in the box (to Rudy) he's gone awol again because he's lost in this system basically.

Didn't think it was the best news to hear that we will be mainly just looking at loans.

As others have pointed out loans can work well at this level. But with all the good news in the last couple of months I was hoping to hear there is money to spend to build the squad.

May just be Lambert being coy of course, or a reflection of it being hard to get value in January.

Whatever there is to spend or not I am glad Lambert and co are in charge of it

Rhodes certainly isn't awful at the rest that's over egging it a bit we've seen some decent games from him early this and in parts last season. He just only really suits an open style of play and now just like times last season when the focus was on lumping the ball in the box (to Rudy) he's gone awol again because he's lost in this system basically.

I don't agree mate. I love how potent Rhodes is but technically and physically he is a League 1/2 player with the finishing of a top Premier league player.

i think he's struggling physically with the high pressing which is resulting in him snatching at chances.

Back to transfers. I'm happy with loans. The January market is notoriously bad value and great for loans (players who have fallen out of favour or deemed surplus at Prem clubs)

I'm really excited to see who PL goes after. Tried and tested? Or young and hungry?

I also think we will make a permenant signing. He was very evasive during that point of his interview. Play a lot of Poker Paul? Ha

Archived