BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring in some quality loan additions now, get promoted and then look at a nice budget to spend in the Premier League to keep us there.

Or

Spend now, those players don't perform, we don't go up, and we go back into an Embargo, and back to square one.

We taking the sensible approach here in all honesty.

If PL was to say we have 2,3,4 million to spend in January, then the prices being quoted would be those values, so no harm in saying theres no money. My guess is he has been promised a little bit of money, which he could spend on 1 or 2 players, but also he may want to use the same funds on loan deals.

Id be surprised if he didn't already know who he wanted to bring in, it's getting them here that is the problem.

January is a bad time to make permanent signings. Prices are inflated and most clubs are reluctant to lose their better players in the middle of the season. The time to do the big rebuilding is the summer when we look at where we are once the out of contract people like Williamson, Brown and Delfouneso have left the building.

So there's no harm with prioritising adding loan players short term to see us through to the summer from that point of view, so long as there is money there if needed. I'm confident there will be because there's not much point going to the trouble of lifting the embargo if the limit of our power is loan deals only, and I doubt Lambert would have come in here with a target of promotion if he's not going to be able to spend and compete with other clubs.

Lambert is a shrewd operator and he's not going to go telling every man and his dog that he's got money to spend and is going to be spending it in January. Hopefully if the right people can be found then the owners will back him as they have with all his predecessors.

What do ppl think about Will Buckley from Sunderland?

Am I right that he has pace?

He's reasonably quick but not a flying machine. On his day he's better than what we've already got but how many days does he have ? He's the sort of player that needs a lot of motivational input. I like self motivating players personally.

That we should keep him not sell him.

Well something has to give one way or another. Just thinking about Jason Roberts, if he had a bad game at least you knew he was out there. He might be misplacing passes, shots etc but he'd still be running hard and knocking people about. When Rhodes has a bad 'un you don't even know he's playing. That can't carry on.

He's too one dimensional. He lacks pace which is essential at top level if you're playing up front. In the Premier League you need to be either quick on your feet or quick between your ears, he's neither of those. His first touch isn't the greatest either. Probably the best header of a ball I've seen at Ewood over the years but once you've said that you've said all there is to say.

Spot on. Alwaus found it ironic the Rudy was one dimensional and yet highly rated here yet Jordan is slated for being so.

I don't have a problem with only loans in Jan really if he's getting specific guys in to do specific jobs rather than just bodies to fill out the squad. We don't want to be throwing money about on several permanents and 15k+ contracts then ending up back in embargo and facing summer being unable to rebuild correctly. I really think summer will see a raft of changes and a whole new approach aimed a kicking on.

For now it's about being sensible but still showing enough ambition to get up into the play offs.

• Backroom

Spot on. Alwaus found it ironic the Rudy was one dimensional and yet highly rated here yet Jordan is slated for being so.

Gestede's application here was pretty questionable too, particularly after he started angling for a move away. He was more of a handful for defenders than Rhodes is, but I doubt that over multiple seasons he'd have anywhere near the same goal scoring record as Jordan. They're poles apart in terms of professionalism.

Just thinking about Jason Roberts, if he had a bad game at least you knew he was out there. He might be misplacing passes, shots etc but he'd still be running hard and knocking people about. When Rhodes has a bad 'un you don't even know he's playing. That can't carry on.

And against top flight defenders too.

What do ppl think about Will Buckley from Sunderland?

Am I right that he has pace?

Physically imposing for a right winger, powerful runner and pretty quick. He's more Ian Miller than Scott Sellars! Was very good at Brighton in the Championship, so much so that Poyet took him to Sunderland. Would be a great signing and would keep Marshall on his toes,

January is a bad time to make permanent signings. Prices are inflated and most clubs are reluctant to lose their better players in the middle of the season. The time to do the big rebuilding is the summer

Agree with you to a certain extent but i think we got Rudy, Steele and Conway in January so good signings can be made. If players have only 6 months left they can be picked up for a bargain rather than waiting till summer when more clubs may become interested. If we are in for Kenwyne Jones then he could be one to bid for in Jan if the price isn't silly.

Like you say though the big changes will happen in the summer when quite a few of our out of contract players will be released.

Clever stuff from Lambo talking 'mainly about loans'. You do not tell the world that you have money to spend.

I will be amazed if we do not make at least one stealth, under the radar, permanent signing.

Pleasant surprise(s) in store.

if your classing Varney a success you may as well add DJ to that list!

Sorry Varney was a joke - hard to tell in text. Although it should have been a success as in on loan, see he is appalling and don't buy, not lumbered with him. Loan allowed us to assess him only for some reason bowyer went against what everyone could see and brought him.

Sorry Varney was a joke - hard to tell in text. Although it should have been a success as in on loan, see he is appalling and don't buy, not lumbered with him. Loan allowed us to assess him only for some reason bowyer went against what everyone could see and brought him.

should of been obvious really was a joke! my bad! :lol:

Archived