BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer Most Likely Not Sacked

Too many conspiracy theories wasting too much bandwidth (again). People talking about deliberate leaks are in fantasy land.

The journalist Ken Lawrence was at Deepdale to cover PNE v Ipswich on Saturday.

He didn’t file the report that the Sun published on their website. He sent a speculative email (which I’ve now seen) – not the published article – to the Sun sports desk, suggesting that GB might be at risk as the first managerial casualty of the season. As any manager might be with zero wins from five games.

How the Sun then translated that email into an article saying GB was already sacked is a mystery, (or is it ~~ cough) but it does explain why they had to revise the original piece which had already triggered copycat reports all over the internet. Damage already done a cynic might SuggEst … or Maybe it was just a “flier”.

The fact that the journalist in question was in Preston rather than Pune also pours cold water on any theory that the real decision makers might have lurched into action.

Where I would agree with some earlier posts is this – Bolton on Friday takes on massive significance. A good 3 points for Rovers begins to shift a rank crap start towards a rank average start. Anything less turns a crap start into a totally unacceptable start for me, and I suspect for the majority of Ewood Park as well.

In which case anyone who might act on a message from the attending home fans, should certainly hear it and take note.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many conspiracy theories wasting too much bandwidth (again). People talking about deliberate leaks are in fantasy land.

He didn’t file the report that the Sun published on their website. He sent a speculative email (which I’ve now seen) – not the published article – to the Sun sports desk, suggesting that GB might be at risk as the first managerial casualty of the season. As any manager might be with zero wins from five games.

How the Sun then translated that email into an article saying GB was already sacked is a mystery, (or is it ~~ cough) but it does explain why they had to revise the original piece which had already triggered copycat reports all over the internet. Damage already done a cynic might SuggEst … or Maybe it was just a “flier”.

The fact that the journalist in question was in Preston rather than Pune also pours cold water on any theory that the real decision makers might have lurched into action.

Where I would agree with some earlier posts is this – Bolton on Friday takes on massive significance. A good 3 points for Rovers begins to shift a rank crap start towards a rank average start. Anything less turns a crap start into a totally unacceptable start for me, and I suspect for the majority of Ewood Park as well.

In which case anyone who might act on a message from the attending home fans, should certainly hear it and take note.

Thanks for sharing the info.

I didn’t know where to post this as it covers a few topics across various threads on here.

For what it's worth, I largely agree with Parson Blues opinion of our current plight. We’re suffering the hangover of complete mismanagement from the time Venkys took over. The reasons for the mismanagement are a completely different debate and not attributable to Gary Bowyer, or the current squad of players.

In the words of Graeme Souness, we are in a position, where we must "wee with the willy that we've got". A classic one liner imo!

I don’t think that GB has got all of the team management decisions completely right during his tenure by any means, but I can appreciate what he appears to be doing in trying to build a team, or at least a spine of a team, from a group of reasonably talented youngsters, who in the right conditions, could flourish, together.

One thing I will I can’t understand is booing players at home games. At all! I don’t think I ever will. It is counterproductive, often during the game in which it occurs, but also in subsequent home games. To be fair though, the most recent example of this was the Cardiff game and i thought the players responded well in the difficult circumstances to the booers and upped their game. In fact I’d go as far to say they gave it a right good go… In turn, the majority of the crowd responded well to their efforts and got behind the team for the push that got the equaliser. Credit to both, but it doesn’t always turn out that way.

The players seem like a fairly close team who believe in their abilities and are striving to improve, but imo need to get a different team spirit/mentality for matches. Too many times we’ve played really well, with decent football in a first half, only for the opposition to be told at half time to get in our faces second half, knowing that we will capitulate or make a mistake at some stage, which has been happening far too much in the last few seasons.

They also need to collectively start going after refs in games for any poor and inconsistent decisions. We have been on the end of some proper crap ref decisions over the last couple of years, which have cost us ten or more points a season, at least. This is usually where an experienced head comes in, something we’ve needed ever since relegation. Unfortunately I reckon Murphy/Etuhu was our expensive attempt at that, so am not surprised we haven’t tried it again.

This is a difficult division to get out of as we fans, the players and managers all know. I think GB’s record is pretty comparable to other teams/managers who have been in or around the division for a similar period of time as us. Leeds, Ipswich, Brentford, Bolton, Wigan, Middlesborough, Wolves, Forest etc. A lot of these haven’t had to expect and plan for FFP by reducing wages bills, juggling squad sizes and players over a couple of seasons, simply because they planned their financial strategy when the FFP decision was first made. Unfortunately we didn’t, for whatever reasons, which isn’t GB’s, or the current squad’s fault.

We are currently 4 games into the season and without the stupid mistakes we would be sitting fairly pretty in the top ten,ish. From what I can see the top ten isn’t far away as yet and there is encouragement to be had from some aspects of our performances and also the players attitudes. There is some bedding in of players still to be done and possibly some additions to the final squad to be made.

How are Fulham doing this season btw, with our two midfielders from last season? Are they also on two points, having drawn with Huddersfield and lost to Brighton?

I was surprised at the reaction of fans in regards to the Sun article. The subsequent speculation on who, where, why, may have leaked the story are in some cases laughable and some potentially credible. It’s always good to remember that speculation is all they seemingly are though.

For all we know it could be a certain scorned ex-agent using a network of established media outlets to admonish the current owners. Wasn’t there a revival of the story that our esteemed owners were pursuing a legal case against someone recently. I love agood conspiracy theory me! EDIT Just seen Tris's post. Bang goes my theory then. Ta for the info...

Anyhow, so many points of views, topics to discuss etc, I could on for hours, but would end up boring myself me tinks.. I just hope that we can all remember that the most important thing is the team that crosses the white line on match days is our team, with our players and our support as fans can make a difference to them on the pitch, which is when and where it counts most! It's could count for a lot in the upcoming home game against Bolton.

Not posted much on here before, so that’s probably enough from me for another five years or so. Y’all take care now…

The past days have been like an Agatha Christie whodunnit - who tried to stitch up our Gary whom even the Rovers main website call Groundhog. Was it really Tulip ''Tubbs'' Shelfy? Guess we'll have to wait for the next episode.

Add into the mix unproven suggestions of players out on the lash, a mysterious illness outbreak and a shortage of bums on seats on the Rovers bench.

If this is stability give me a dose of anarchy and chaos anyday.

Business as usual - well that's a relief :(

In that article Bowyer says ''“I’m pleased with the number of chances we’re creating, especially when you consider that we’ve not really had that much time on the training pitch, what with it being Saturday-Tuesday, Saturday-Tuesday,”

What does he mean? surely they meet up to analyze? surely the players who were not playing in games are trained hard? surely they work on what went wrong? etc etc ..........or do they all feck off to the golf course or pub..Ewood & Brockhall Holiday Camp!....only one vacancy left!!!

Shaw was at Brighton.

My mate was on a corporate do and in the board room before and after the game, he said the table for the Rovers directors had Shaw and 5 'others' on it, he recognised none of them, he's been going for 40yrs, and they all looked bored to tears.

His comment was:

"If they're running the club we're doomed, looked like a bunch of car salesmen"

Silly point to make and totally irrelevant gav. Pretty much like the board of directors at every other club i'd suggest. Just as an aside I wonder what the opinion and subsequent description of anybody in that room would have been of the appearance of the people on your mate's table?

We need a highly driven manager with a 'can do' attitude. IMV, a huge breath of fresh air needs to sweep away the negativity and mediocrity of the football structure that Bowyer has put in place.

I fully agree, but I doubt if this is the type of man that either Venkys or Shaw would go for.

Venkys are a strange lot, they have undoubtably put a lot of money into Rovers, but they employ second rate people. They don't like having people around who will challenge them, therefore the club is full of second raters.

Likewise Shaw, any serious competent football manager would see through Shaw immediately, does anyone think a man like Souness (or Pearson) would suffer a fool like Shaw for more than ten minutes ?

Shaw would also go for another second rater who would not challenge him. I fear we are in a downward spiral, if Bowyer goes I have no confidence that his successor would be an improvement.

I didn’t know where to post this as it covers a few topics across various threads on here.

For what it's worth, I largely agree with Parson Blues opinion of our current plight. We’re suffering the hangover of complete mismanagement from the time Venkys took over. The reasons for the mismanagement are a completely different debate and not attributable to Gary Bowyer, or the current squad of players.

In the words of Graeme Souness, we are in a position, where we must "wee with the willy that we've got". A classic one liner imo!

I don’t think that GB has got all of the team management decisions completely right during his tenure by any means, but I can appreciate what he appears to be doing in trying to build a team, or at least a spine of a team, from a group of reasonably talented youngsters, who in the right conditions, could flourish, together.

One thing I will I can’t understand is booing players at home games. At all! I don’t think I ever will. It is counterproductive, often during the game in which it occurs, but also in subsequent home games. To be fair though, the most recent example of this was the Cardiff game and i thought the players responded well in the difficult circumstances to the booers and upped their game. In fact I’d go as far to say they gave it a right good go… In turn, the majority of the crowd responded well to their efforts and got behind the team for the push that got the equaliser. Credit to both, but it doesn’t always turn out that way.

The players seem like a fairly close team who believe in their abilities and are striving to improve, but imo need to get a different team spirit/mentality for matches. Too many times we’ve played really well, with decent football in a first half, only for the opposition to be told at half time to get in our faces second half, knowing that we will capitulate or make a mistake at some stage, which has been happening far too much in the last few seasons.

They also need to collectively start going after refs in games for any poor and inconsistent decisions. We have been on the end of some proper crap ref decisions over the last couple of years, which have cost us ten or more points a season, at least. This is usually where an experienced head comes in, something we’ve needed ever since relegation. Unfortunately I reckon Murphy/Etuhu was our expensive attempt at that, so am not surprised we haven’t tried it again.

This is a difficult division to get out of as we fans, the players and managers all know. I think GB’s record is pretty comparable to other teams/managers who have been in or around the division for a similar period of time as us. Leeds, Ipswich, Brentford, Bolton, Wigan, Middlesborough, Wolves, Forest etc. A lot of these haven’t had to expect and plan for FFP by reducing wages bills, juggling squad sizes and players over a couple of seasons, simply because they planned their financial strategy when the FFP decision was first made. Unfortunately we didn’t, for whatever reasons, which isn’t GB’s, or the current squad’s fault.

We are currently 4 games into the season and without the stupid mistakes we would be sitting fairly pretty in the top ten,ish. From what I can see the top ten isn’t far away as yet and there is encouragement to be had from some aspects of our performances and also the players attitudes. There is some bedding in of players still to be done and possibly some additions to the final squad to be made.

How are Fulham doing this season btw, with our two midfielders from last season? Are they also on two points, having drawn with Huddersfield and lost to Brighton?

I was surprised at the reaction of fans in regards to the Sun article. The subsequent speculation on who, where, why, may have leaked the story are in some cases laughable and some potentially credible. It’s always good to remember that speculation is all they seemingly are though.

For all we know it could be a certain scorned ex-agent using a network of established media outlets to admonish the current owners. Wasn’t there a revival of the story that our esteemed owners were pursuing a legal case against someone recently. I love agood conspiracy theory me! EDIT Just seen Tris's post. Bang goes my theory then. Ta for the info...

Anyhow, so many points of views, topics to discuss etc, I could on for hours, but would end up boring myself me tinks.. I just hope that we can all remember that the most important thing is the team that crosses the white line on match days is our team, with our players and our support as fans can make a difference to them on the pitch, which is when and where it counts most! It's could count for a lot in the upcoming home game against Bolton.

Not posted much on hre before, so that’s probably enough from me for another five years or so. Y’all take care now…

Like Tris you should post more.

btw Nothing like having points on the board but it's odd and quite revealing that very few of the club's detractors on these pages are prepared to accept that the team is very much changed through both necessity and circumstance and is very much in a state of transistion.

Just as an aside I wonder what the opinion and subsequent description of anybody in that room would have been of the appearance of the people on your mate's table?

They'd probably have thought, wow, Alan Mullery and Des Lynham with our regular match sponsors, wish I was sat on that table 😉

Bowyer cowardly froze Dunn out, as many insecure managers do with the experienced pro in the squad who they feel threatens their position. Gaz is on to a great number at Rovers, expectations are low, 'stability' is the cover-up buzz word for mediocrity - loads of supporters think we are at our level and he is doing a sterling job - how many times have you read the nonsense, "Yeah, but WHO could do a better job?" The suggestions given to these idiots are now at Villa or guiding Brighton to the top of the table etc.

If we want half a chance of getting out of this league, he has to go. He should have gone 12months ago. We are heading out of it in the wrong direction and those with eyes in their heads could see this coming. There is no desire, no leadership - mainly excuses and a team with no direction or identity (how often have we played the same players consecutively?)

It will be a massive gamble asking our owners to replace well, but their are as many Bowyers out there as there are better replacements. I'm away on my jollies but predicted to my Rovers friends at the start of the season that we'd be in the relegation zone at the end of the month and fans will kick off towards him at the Bolton match...one down, one to go.

He didnt file the report that the Sun published on their website. He sent a speculative email (which Ive now seen) not the published article to the Sun sports desk, suggesting that GB might be at risk as the first managerial casualty of the season. As any manager might be with zero wins from five games.

How the Sun then translated that email into an article saying GB was already sacked is a mystery, (or is it ~~ cough) but it does explain why they had to revise the original piece which had already triggered copycat reports all over the internet. Damage already done a cynic might SuggEst or Maybe it was just a flier.

Where I would agree with some earlier posts is this Bolton on Friday takes on massive significance. A good 3 points for Rovers begins to shift a rank crap start towards a rank average start. Anything less turns a crap start into a totally unacceptable start for me, and I suspect for the majority of Ewood Park as well.

Kamy has said though that Desai is/was seriously reviewing Gaz' position?

I fully agree, but I doubt if this is the type of man that either Venkys or Shaw would go for.

Venkys are a strange lot, they have undoubtably put a lot of money into Rovers, but they employ second rate people. They don't like having people around who will challenge them, therefore the club is full of second raters.

Likewise Shaw, any serious competent football manager would see through Shaw immediately, does anyone think a man like Souness (or Pearson) would suffer a fool like Shaw for more than ten minutes ?

Shaw would also go for another second rater who would not challenge him. I fear we are in a downward spiral, if Bowyer goes I have no confidence that his successor would be an improvement.

What is all this mist eyed nonsense about Souness? Where does it come from? Credit to him for the signings of Berko and Brad but he only managed to get a fantastic squad of players assembled and backed by Walker millions promoted in second place after a massive tussle with a budget BWFC under Sam Allardyce. He did well for a couple of seasons too but as the squad dismantled itself he replaced top players with dross. Compare his signings to Hughes and he represents a massive fail in that dept.

Fact of the matter is that apart from his success at Rangers where again he had way way more money to spend than the rest of the Scottish Prem and his success with BRFC for the same reason his career has been much less than ordinary and in some cases disastrous. He's been sacked more times than I've had hot dinners, if not sacked it's only because he saw the writing on the wall and jumped first. He's not managed for a number of years for a reason... he's been sussed!

Here's something that might blow the myth out of the waters (of the River Darwen at least) http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/may/04/sportfeatures.footballmanagers

btw Danny good signature......... you'd do well to heed it. :tu:

Kamy has said though that Desai is/was seriously reviewing Gaz' position?

They are but as I said on Saturday that does not mean that she will sack him. My feeling is that they will give him the Bolton game, win that and he will be allowed to continue and use the international break to work on things. Lose and I think that may well be the end for Gary.

My personal feeling is that he has "lost" a massive chunk of Rovers fans and it might be in the best interests of all concerned that he is let go now, we can't have this situation whereby it becomes a game by game thing. Win and everything is ok, lose and his position is in jeopardy with fans calling for his head. That won't help anyone.

The Sun report from Saturday has done a lot of damage as it the players will also have read it and it is human nature to think that his days are numbered, once you get to that kinda situation it is hard (but not impossible) to turn things round.

They'd probably have thought, wow, Alan Mullery and Des Lynham with our regular match sponsors, wish I was sat on that table

Who cares about that or them even? tbh I doubt the Glasers would impress all that many, how about the Russian? How bored does he always appear? Would you buy a second hand car off him gav? Your post is irrelevant nonsense written simply as a mud slinging exercise and nothing more, move on.

• Backroom

Like Tris you should post more.

btw Nothing like having points on the board but it's odd and quite revealing that very few of the club's detractors on these pages are prepared to accept that the team is very much changed through both necessity and circumstance and is very much in a state of transistion.

We've been in a "state of transition" for 5 years now Gordon. Gary's very much contributed to that with the 30+ players he's brought in. Rem we've only been under embargo status since Jan and only been forced to sell players this summer.

Many of us warned that a man who couldn't get anywhere near a decent run of form out of last season's team would struggle badly this term with a weaker squad. That's why we needed to bring in a better manager, and still do. I'm afraid this scenario was inevitable and it's incredibly frustrating that once again (some of) the fans seem to have far more insight than those "running" the club.

We've been in a "state of transition" for 5 years now Gordon. Gary's very much contributed to that with the 30+ players he's brought in. Rem we've only been under embargo status since Jan and only been forced to sell players this summer.

Many of us warned that a man who couldn't get anywhere near a decent run of form out of last season's team would struggle badly this term with a weaker squad. That's why we needed to bring in a better manager, and still do. I'm afraid this scenario was inevitable and it's incredibly frustrating that once again (some of) the fans seem to have far more insight than those "running" the club.

You wrote that and you don't appear to have factored it in. Our situation is squarely down to Kean and Anderson signing dollopers on long and lucrative contracts and striking out relegation clauses in the contracts of the rest. Effectively they have all 'been away on their toes' with our parachute payments. I'm not claiming that Bowyer is the best manager in the world but we all have to recognise that he has had to work under very adverse conditions.

• Backroom

You wrote that and you don't appear to have factored it in. Our situation is squarely down to Kean and Anderson signing dollopers on long and lucrative contracts and striking out relegation clauses in the contracts of the rest. Effectively they have all 'been away on their toes' with our parachute payments. I'm not claiming that Bowyer is the best manager in the world but we all have to recognise that he has had to work under very adverse conditions.

You've misunderstood the point of my post.

I'm aware he's working in adverse conditions - the point is he's not good enough to handle those conditions, as proven by the previous 2 years where he had a good team and failed to get anything out of them. That's why to any "detractors" the circumstances are irrelevant - he shouldn't be in the position in the first place, and circumstances make it even more important he is replaced by a better manager before it's too late.

They are but as I said on Saturday that does not mean that she will sack him. My feeling is that they will give him the Bolton game, win that and he will be allowed to continue and use the international break to work on things. Lose and I think that may well be the end for Gary.

My personal feeling is that he has "lost" a massive chunk of Rovers fans and it might be in the best interests of all concerned that he is let go now, we can't have this situation whereby it becomes a game by game thing. Win and everything is ok, lose and his position is in jeopardy with fans calling for his head. That won't help anyone.

The Sun report from Saturday has done a lot of damage as it the players will also have read it and it is human nature to think that his days are numbered, once you get to that kinda situation it is hard (but not impossible) to turn things round.

That's exactly the problem. Bowyer is now a lame duck and it would be better for all concerned if he went now.

Bowyer cowardly froze Dunn out, as many insecure managers do with the experienced pro in the squad who they feel threatens their position. Gaz is on to a great number at Rovers, expectations are low, 'stability' is the cover-up buzz word for mediocrity - loads of supporters think we are at our level and he is doing a sterling job - how many times have you read the nonsense, "Yeah, but WHO could do a better job?" The suggestions given to these idiots are now at Villa or guiding Brighton to the top of the table etc.

If we want half a chance of getting out of this league, he has to go. He should have gone 12months ago. We are heading out of it in the wrong direction and those with eyes in their heads could see this coming. There is no desire, no leadership - mainly excuses and a team with no direction or identity (how often have we played the same players consecutively?)

It will be a massive gamble asking our owners to replace well, but their are as many Bowyers out there as there are better replacements. I'm away on my jollies but predicted to my Rovers friends at the start of the season that we'd be in the relegation zone at the end of the month and fans will kick off towards him at the Bolton match...one down, one to go.

Pahahaha...if you only knew the half of it re Dunny!! Top guy but seriously, who is making this stuff up? Funny

Pahahaha...if you only knew the half of it re Dunny!! Top guy but seriously, who is making this stuff up? Funny

With all respect Mani (genuinely) - I have lost count of the amount of times you respond with "If only you/we knew..." and offer nothing else.

The annoying thing is that they didn't do it earlier. For 18 months he did a great job in getting rid of the egos and deadwood. He brought very good replacements in for a fraction of the cost and built a squad capable of challenging whilst most in a similar circumstance were either relegated again or regressed.

But last season was unforgivable for me. To finish 11pts adrift of the playoffs with those players highlighted a news for change.

The only reason I believe they kept him was to manage the fallout of the pending sales in order to get them out of FFP.

But make no bones about it, not even Harry Houdini could take a club up who are having to sell their best players and replace with freebies!!

My thoughts are, sell Rhodes and get out of FFP. Concentrate on damage limitation with a view to having a punt on promo in the next 3 seasons when the the losses are accumulated over the full period and must only stay under £39m.

Bring in a new manager whenever to get them acclimatised and ready to get going next summer...but don't bloody get relegated beforehand!!

The annoying thing is that they didn't do it earlier. For 18 months he did a great job in getting rid of the egos and deadwood. He brought very good replacements in for a fraction of the cost and built a squad capable of challenging whilst most in a similar circumstance were either relegated again or regressed.

But last season was unforgivable for me. To finish 11pts adrift of the playoffs with those players highlighted a news for change.

The only reason I believe they kept him was to manage the fallout of the pending sales in order to get them out of FFP.

But make no bones about it, not even Harry Houdini could take a club up who are having to sell their best players and replace with freebies!!

My thoughts are, sell Rhodes and get out of FFP. Concentrate on damage limitation with a view to having a punt on promo in the next 3 seasons when the the losses are accumulated over the full period and must only stay under £39m.

Bring in a new manager whenever to get them acclimatised and ready to get going next summer...but don't bloody get relegated beforehand!!

Archived