BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Preview!

Mike E

• Backroom

So after playing quite well for a game and a half, we're still stuck in the mire. 4 points from 21, with no wins. Last time out at Ewood was the drab 0 – 0 against our local sort-of-kind-of-but-not-proper-rivals Bolton Wanderers. This feels like it was weeks ago (3, in fact) thanks to an international break and two away games, but at least we get to play in Blue and White again. In that time, it appears that the decline in support for manager Gary Bowyer has plateaued somewhat, although anything but a win at Ewood will soon have it shooting up in my opinion.

It's now back to business, where we face the oxymoron that is 'Charlton Atheltic'. Being only 24, I don't have the rich and vivid memories that many of our older members have. Tales have been told of.... However, I do have some memories I'm very fond of; two being at the Valley and only one at Ewood.

There was of course the infamous game where the long-celebrated, spade-handed, yoga-loving, all-round-bloody-legendary, granny-legs goalkeeper Brad Freidel equalised in the dying seconds of a pulsating Premier League game...only for Claus pissing Jensen to bring us down to Earth.

For an Ewood memory, we had the Bonfire Night Massacre of Charlton, when both our strikers and wingers scored on our way to battering them 4-1. A brilliant, fiesty game, played on a wet surface and with a spectacular opener coming from Emerton at a narrow angle. I just remember the 14-year-old me getting drunk for the first time and chundering on the embers of our dying fire.

Another amazing memory (returning to The Valley) was a League Cup match in Mark Hughes' first full season in charge. With 15 minutes to go, we were 2-0 down having played some pretty atrocious stuff! We'd even let the poor excuse for a footballer-cum-money-grabber Danny Murphy score! Then came the greatest...ish tactical change of Sparky's career: On came the man-mountain that was Shefki Kuqi, who smashed it in within 2 minutes of coming on, signing off with another swan dive! Hope had arrived. Three minutes later it David Thompson's turn to blast in a belter! It was 2-2 and we were ecstatic at having earmed a stay of execution. But then....THEN.....on the 88th minute, David Bentley nicked it for us at the death to go through with a fabulous comeback win of 3-2. One of my first away matches and it remains one of my favourites.

Not much of a memory for this last one as we'd watched it on box office telly (remember Premiership Plus?). It was Alan Curbishley's last game in charge of the Addicks at the Valley, but I only remember it retrospectively as the game when Ryan Nelsen broke his leg and carried on playing.

Fan Interview:

I admit I don't know much about Charlton other than being one of London's plucky underdog clubs, so I don't have the usual 'softy southerner' dislike of them. I went over to their fans forum (Into the Valley) and put across some questions that were kindly answered below by ExeterAddick, valleyt, Andyaddick, and seriouslyred.

1. How do you view your start to the season?

ExeterAddick: Very solid. Our defence looks settled and a couple of our new additions, Kashi and Bauer in particular, have been impressive. We've yet to field a settled side due to some key injuries, but once they come back we'll have a very competitive team. Most fans would've expected us to have a crack at the play-offs this season and our start seems to suggest that's possible.
Valleyt: Pretty good.
Andyaddick: Great.
Seriouslyred: 1.5 points per game is the same as Riga (who saved us from relegation two seasons back) and Peeters last season but we are far, far better.

2. What were your expectations pre-season and have they changed up to now?

ExeterAddick: Somewhere between 5th-12th. Nothing I've seen so far has made me think any differently, but I think there's probably 14 other clubs in this league who see themselves in that bracket.
Valley t: There's quality in the squad but lack of depth. There's not sufficient cover for injuries, not bringing players back from injury too quickly, loss of form, suspensions etc.
Andyaddick: Top 8.
seriouslyred: Hoped for a top eight finish but knew we needed two more players...same now but more certain.

3. What is your view on Guy Luzon as manager?

ExeterAddick: I like the guy. He seems crazy and very passionate, but the team is behind him and the fans have slowly warmed to him. I mostly agree with his team selections and substitutions.
Valleyt: Brought in a botched PR way that upset some. That never bothered me, if the owner wants to bring in a decent manager on his payroll then that's their business. Proving to be a good manager. Passionate guy and pitchside antics are entertaining. Team set up mostly decent.
Andyaddick: Beter than we've had in the past!
Seriouslyred: He's the best in this era under new owner and has managed a better team when Liege just missed out on Champions League group stages by losing to Anderlecht.

4. Who are your best and worst players?

ExeterAddick: Henderson when fit is up there with the best keepers in the league. Our new centre back Patrick Bauer has looked immense so far, as has Ahmed Kashi in the holding role. Our winger, Johann Gudmundsson scored 10 goals last season and takes the best free kicks I've ever seen in a red shirt. On his day, he's a match winner, as is Tony Watt, despite his inconsistency. Jordan Cousins was our POTY last season, but is less effective when forced to play out wide. Our weak link is arguably our current reserve keeper, Nick Pope, who is prone to an error, but he's still young.
Valleyrt: Watt, Solly, Bauer and Kashi, Jordan Cousins and Gudmundsson. First line players are pretty good. Those not good enough are pretty much shipped out these days or developed on loan. Players like Tucudean and Goochanichad have yet to show the required consistent quality / strength for the championship.
Andyaddick: Worst is Pardew, Best either Mendonca or Parker.
Seriouslyred: Look at Squawka and there's an obvious pattern - our best eight - ten players are good enough for any top eight side but the rest are not so good.

5. Who do you feel is Rovers' most dangerous player?

ExeterAddick: Jordan Rhodes, for obvious reasons.
Valleyt: Rhodes is always a danger, Delfounesco maybe if he has settled down yet.
Andyaddick: You not got one.
Seriouslyred: As Luzon states, "we focus on ourselves, not the opposition"

6. What do you think of our esteemed halfwit owners, Venkys, and how do they compare to your owner(s)?

ExeterAddick: I feel sorry for you guys. A club with a great history and you've been subjected to owners with no idea treating you as a play-thing. I hope you come out the other side unscathed. Our owner has attracted criticism for his 'network' philosophy (he owns a few other clubs around Europe) and the sale of a couple of our key players when he first took over, but he does seem to run a tight ship.
Valleyt: They seem to have more money than sense. Charlton's owner has money and is careful how he spends it. On the plus side that gives room for the Academy youngsters to get a chance but on the negative side doesn't provide the necessary depth. Most likely will mid to mid lower table because of that depending on the injuries. Its the owners money though and its easy for me to spend it.
Andyaddick: Venkeys (sic) are using you as a tax dodge, disgraceful.
Seriouslyred: They are not alone in spending a fortune on an FAPL club and then get relegated. They are not alone in sacking Mark Hughes. (Editor's note: EH??) But they are learning. In contrast our owner has bought us on the cheap and might hope to sell us for £100m + should we get promoted.

7. Any favourite memories of matches against us?

ExeterAddick: That infamous game in 2004 when Brad Friedel scored an equaliser against us, only for Claus Jensen to seal the win in the dying seconds. Unbelievable.
Valleyt: Gundmundssons free kick last season in the cup game with the floodlights going out (in an otherwise dire Charlton performance. In 2002 at the Valley in the premiership, I remember a free kick that flew in and a great sweeping move up the pitch in a game that charlton won 3-1.
Andyaddick: Darren Pitcher, top left I think! www.independent.co.uk/sport/football--fa-cup-pitcher-strikes-blackburn-out-of-fa-cup-ewood-ecstasy-for-charlton-as-they-march-into-the-fifth-round-with-a-confident-performance-against-premiership-opposition-1393040.html
seriouslyred: 4-0 in the freezing cold - Fazackerly sent off!

8. Predictions for the big match?

ExeterAddick: I'd take a point, but given your poor start we could nick all three on our day. I'll say 1-1.
Valleyt: Draw.
Andyaddick: You won't win.
seriouslyred: We won't lost because our defense is solid.

Connections:

Danny Murphy, Marcus Bent, Cameron Stewart, Luke Varney. Any others? I'm lazy with this bit!

Prediction:

A resounding Rovers victory leading to Bowyer getting his own estate on Brockhall land, with a contract for life until we rot in the Evo-Stick leagues.

Or just a dreary 1-2 loss, unfortunately and it won't make a damned bit of difference re: the manager's position.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's now back to business, where we face the oxymoron that is 'Charlton Atheltic'. Being only 24, I don't have the rich and vivid memories that many of our older members have. Tales have been told of.... However, I do have some memories I'm very fond of; two being at the Valley and only one at Ewood.

My recent memories are that Charlton have been one of the worst teams I've seen (even worse than The donkey lashers)

Home banker. Get your bets on - it's a licence to print money. The only thing to consider is will we keep a clean sheet or not?

Yeah, this lot are pathetic. 2-0 Rovers!

Based on the 2nd half performance at Fulham and the decentish display at QPR last night i'd usually expect us to go into this game and win...however this is GB's Rovers and I wouldn't be surprised if he randomly makes a few changes that unsettles the team.

1 - 1 draw. Rhodes to make it 3 in 3 for Rovers and grab an equaliser after Charlton take an early lead.

My recent memories are that Charlton have been one of the worst teams I've seen (even worse than The donkey lashers)

Home banker. Get your bets on - it's a licence to print money. The only thing to consider is will we keep a clean sheet or not?

Yeah, this lot are pathetic. 2-0 Rovers!

I am with you on this.

Struggling to see a way that even Bowyer can prevent us recording our first win of the season.

The bookies agree and best odds you can get for Rovers are 'evens' which is quite staggering when we have failed to win a game in our first eight attempts.

I am going for a convincing 4 or 5 goals to 1 win followed by all the usual trite 'our season starts here' stuff.

I am with you on this.

Struggling to see a way that even Bowyer can prevent us recording our first win of the season.

The bookies agree and best odds you can get for Rovers are 'evens' which is quite staggering when we have failed to win a game in our first eight attempts.

I am going for a convincing 4 or 5 goals to 1 win followed by all the usual trite 'our season starts here' stuff.

Mercer I really like you as a poster but why do you come out with this rubbish? You KNOW full well we couldn't beat a league two side by 4/5 goals to 1. Creating a little mischief here surely.

I predict 1-1 with Bowyers advocates stating he just needs a game or two more to get that all important win.

Mercer I really like you as a poster but why do you come out with this rubbish? You KNOW full well we couldn't beat a league two side by 4/5 goals to 1. Creating a little mischief here surely.

I predict 1-1 with Bowyers advocates stating he just needs a game or two more to get that all important win.

I think Charlton are a pretty spineless bunch who will easily rollover.

Just look at the number of chances we created at Fulham and QPR and in that context. I see no reason as to why we can't net a handful against Charlton. Even Gary has said that some time soon, a team is going to take a real beating at our hands.

Have put a tenner on Rovers to win at evens and £5 to win 4-1 at 45/1 and £5 to win 5-1 at 150/1. At worse, reckon I will break-even.

I think Charlton are a pretty spineless bunch who will easily rollover.

Just look at the number of chances we created at Fulham and QPR and in that context. I see no reason as to why we can't net a handful against Charlton. Even Gary has said that some time soon, a team is going to take a real beating at our hands.

Have put a tenner on Rovers to win at evens and £5 to win 4-1 at 45/1 and £5 to win 5-1 at 150/1. At worse, reckon I will break-even.

'Even Gary has said' - I wouldn't believe him if he told me the sky was blue!

Let's hope we can get the win because bugger knows where we'll get one if we don't.

After the past 135 + mins of playing well after that shocker of a first half at Fulham our tales should be up and a bit of belief should be in the team. I'd really love us just to go for it as I don't think Charlton will offer much going forwards however head rules heart and I think it'll be the usual stuff. To be honest I'd settle for an absolute turgid game and a 1 nil win !

Rovers 1 Charlton 1

(Koita)

12,158 (400 Addicks)

Brilliant write up, Mike. Hats off to you.

One for the old-timers on here. What year was this? Rovers vs Charlton at the Valley.

CN1lA4iWsAApQru.jpg

Definately the 1950's so can only be the 4 - 3 away win in April 1958. What was the attendance?

An omen perhaps. Rovers to win 4-3 tomorrow. Sounds about right. Rhodes takes all his chances and bags 4 himself and we still can't defend.

Definately the 1950's so can only be the 4 - 3 away win in April 1958. What was the attendance?

An omen perhaps. Rovers to win 4-3 tomorrow. Sounds about right. Rhodes takes all his chances and bags 4 himself and we still can't defend.

The Valley used to hold 75,000- I think the official attendance that day was in the mid 50's.

Either Rovers to win or to get hammered with the crowd turning. Charlton are a mercurial bunch so either result is possible.

Winning makes Bowyer safe for a few months more and relegation more inevitable. Getting hammered to a chorus of boos should resonate in Pune and might result in a relegation-avoiding change of management.

Very good preview.

The Valley used to hold 75,000- I think the official attendance that day was in the mid 50's.

Either Rovers to win or to get hammered with the crowd turning. Charlton are a mercurial bunch so either result is possible.

Winning makes Bowyer safe for a few months more and relegation more inevitable. Getting hammered to a chorus of boos should resonate in Pune and might result in a relegation-avoiding change of management.

Very good preview.

Looks packed. Big win too - we finished 2nd and went up to the First Division on 56 poimts, Charlton 3rd with 55. No plays-offs then back in the day.

Correct.

Note the lack of adverts and just one policeman - watching the match - in front of that massive terrace.

@TerraceImages for those on Twitter

Great Preview Mike and very much appreciated by myself.

My team would be:- Steele; Henley, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson; Marshall, Guthrie, Evans, Conway; Koita, Rhodes

Subs:- Raya, Kilgallon, Akpan, O'Sullivan, Delfouneso, Lawrence, Mahoney

Agreed on the team. I think we have finally alighted on our best side and tactical setup. Now its about fitness levels and working on the kinks.

Hopefully Gary will stick with the same lineup only switching players due to injury for a half a dozen games. And also stick to the high defensive line pressing game that's looked so good at Fulham and QPR. If it leaves space in begind screw it. We've got a very pacy defensive line who can get back (particularly with Olsson in for Spurr) and we can't defend anyway so we might as well keep the oppo as far away from the goals and take the risk on the counter.

Also Evans, who to be honest had in my view been totally useless for over a year amd needed selling seems to be a much much much better player if he is pressing than if he is sitting. That's good news. Congrats to him particularly, and Guthrie.

It is frustrating that it has taken such a long time to settle ourselves tactically. Loss of Gestede, and the late arrival and building fitness of Guthrie and Koita is part of that. But the rest of the side have been at Rovers for ages, and fans have wanted a more pressing swashbuckling style for over a year, yet we've only reached for it as a last resort despite the sitting deep options not working for over a year.

Also annoyingly we have always looked better with Conway left and Marshall right but Gaz keept on reversing them. Leave them where they bloody are! Again much better when we've stuck with that last couple of games.

Well we are here now. Let's see what it can bring us. Lets be consistent. And not get any f-ing injuries as the squad outside the first XI is terrible, Killer and Akpan aside.

Also Koita really really really needs a goal. That will be huge. Why not start tomorrow?

Lowe, Spurr and Brown are all out injured

Pity about Brown. It is about time he was given an extended chance to prove himself. He could be an excellent supplier for Rhodes.

Great review Mike. I call that League Cup game at Charlton very well.

We were the pits and stole into win. 3-2 with an amazing 2nd half.

Wish them all a speedy recovery. None of them should be in the first XI anyway, but would be good to have on the bench.

With a more aggressive attacking approach Brown could be more useful. He needs support, too often when we've played him he's been totally isolated.

I don't want to say good but Bowyer shouldn't be changing the lineup from the QPR game really.

If Lowe and Spurr were both fit, i'd expect them walk back in. So, the silver lining is that Bowyers hand is now forced to stick with the same.

He will change something though, he can't help it. Delf for Koita i'd expect.

Archived