BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Stuart

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team Hendry was in was a poor one also (though they did qualify in 96 and 98). Last good Scotland team was the eighties one with Souness, Dalgleish and Hansen. Since those three retired the quality Scotland have produced has been appalling. But when you are reduced to saying your two best international players of the last 25 years have been Barry Ferguson (just not that good a player) and Darren Ferguson (very good player but serious injury problems) you are in trouble. Theyve had some other okay players - McCallister, Hendry and McCoist but its really not been great.

In the same period Wales (a country half the populatiom of Scotland) produced four outstanding performers - Bale, Giggs, Ramsey and Bellamy. The republic at least turned up Duff and Robbie Keane, and while no other world class players have produced better overall quality than Scotland.

Scotland have just been terrible, same in the rugby. Really sad to see. It's clearly not a population thing, there are issues at the grassroots.

Thanks for the informed reply. First sentence sums up what confuses me so much. That team Hendry and co. weren't all that but they qualified twice and arguably did better than the sum of their parts. I guess Collins had experience of playing in Europe, and Rangers/Celtic perhaps had a few more home grown players playing regularly but is Dodds really better than Fletcher, Boyd better than Hanley?

I can remember at the time thinking they had a pretty handy squad, and their achievements probably (certainly comparatively to recent results) suggest that's the case but thinking back I can't remember too many of the team which suggests they weren't that good after all. In which case what's changed?

I still shudder when I think of Scotland's France 98 team.

Christian Dailly stunk out the tournament and then we paid £5million for him straight after. :blink:

£5m for Dailly, £7.5m for Davies, £4m each for Ward & Blake.

And people think our recent transfers were fishy. :rock:

Christian Dailly stunk out the tournament and then we paid £5million for him straight after. :blink:

Roy Hodgson said at the time of the Dailly transfer 'if you want the best you've got to pay for it' Quite the joker our Roy.

Even funnier was when he said of Dahlin after one of his rotund strolls round Ewood 'He's not the player i remember him being'. Perhaps scouting might have helped.

Is Jordan's injury routine or serious? The Telegraph site says it is a medial Ligament problem. As usual on that site the replies are infested by Burnley fans having multiples, thinking he is out for a few weeks!

Is Jordan's injury routine or serious? The Telegraph site says it is a medial Ligament problem. As usual on that site the replies are infested by Burnley fans having multiples, thinking he is out for a few weeks!

I saw him get the injury right at the end of the Ipswich game. He went in for a block tackle and seemed to jar his knee. He definitely limped around whilst acknowledging the fans and I fully expected him to pull out of the Scotland squad immediately. I really hope it is nothing serious as we will be royally screwed without him.

Crucial period coming up with a fair few midweek games thrown in. No Rhodes doesn't bear thinking about.

And only a few weeks ago people on here were saying we should have sold him, now what do we do without him, said all along he is priceless to this team as we stand. On another thought I see Rudy's not getting much game time. how many have left us thinking the grass was greener and actually wasn't.

Thanks for the informed reply. First sentence sums up what confuses me so much. That team Hendry and co. weren't all that but they qualified twice and arguably did better than the sum of their parts. I guess Collins had experience of playing in Europe, and Rangers/Celtic perhaps had a few more home grown players playing regularly but is Dodds really better than Fletcher, Boyd better than Hanley?

I can remember at the time thinking they had a pretty handy squad, and their achievements probably (certainly comparatively to recent results) suggest that's the case but thinking back I can't remember too many of the team which suggests they weren't that good after all. In which case what's changed?

It was a great achievement to qualify for 98. But looking through the squad on wiki they really only had Hendry, Collins and Lambert (I did a disservice not mentioning Collins and Lambert before - both quality players who played at top European clubs) who played first class club football. Gallagher and McKinley were doing a decent job for us but not really international class. Craig Burley was an exciting player. But then you were into the Daillys, Duries, Weirs etc.

• Moderation Lead

And only a few weeks ago people on here were saying we should have sold him, now what do we do without him, said all along he is priceless to this team as we stand. On another thought I see Rudy's not getting much game time. how many have left us thinking the grass was greener and actually wasn't.

I don't know, he's been used as a sub at the very least, and been pretty effective. 4 in 8 this season for Villa...

Did Strachan really say right good effort or is that article edited by bowyer?

Yes but it would have been in Jockspeak which I doubt Bowyer can do. ^_^

He joined a team on the down. Poor choice.

I saw him get the injury right at the end of the Ipswich game. He went in for a block tackle and seemed to jar his knee. He definitely limped around whilst acknowledging the fans and I fully expected him to pull out of the Scotland squad immediately. I really hope it is nothing serious as we will be royally screwed without him.

Yes indeed and Koita is out injured too.

Correct. He's been superb all round this season.

I seem to recall Dailly having a decent World Cup, but as a defensive right hand sided midfielder. Is memory doing me a disservice?

• 1 month later...

Ah, here we go a Jordan Rhodes thread!!

A summary.

"Some say he can do no wrong, that he's the reason why we're in this division, that his goals kept us up, and in fact he's possibly one of the greatest strikers....

.... In the world."

Sorry about that, I just did it in a Jeremy Clarkson stylee.

Whilst others say he's no pace, can't hold the ball up, can't play with other strikers, has little to his game, and even that he's lazy and can't be arsed!

But he'll get you 20 goals a season. Which is great. But it really is a conundrum. 14m and out of the embargo - two new strikers in that may or better - bringing say 30 goals, creating more for others? Or footballing lunacy getting rid of a consistent goal scorer? Glad it's not my choice!

All of that is academic perhaps as Lambert has said he's key to his plans.

However in true BRFCC style lets get into one of two camps. There's no room for middle ground on here!

Ah, here we go a Jordan Rhodes thread!!

A summary.

"Some say he can do no wrong, that he's the reason why we're in this division, that his goals kept us up, and in fact he's possibly one of the greatest strikers....

.... In the world."

Sorry about that, I just did it in a Jeremy Clarkson stylee.

Whilst others say he's no pace, can't hold the ball up, can't play with other strikers, has little to his game, and even that he's lazy and can't be arsed!

But he'll get you 20 goals a season. Which is great. But it really is a conundrum. 14m and out of the embargo - two new strikers in that may or better - bringing say 30 goals, creating more for others? Or footballing lunacy getting rid of a consistent goal scorer? Glad it's not my choice!

All of that is academic perhaps as Lambert has said he's key to his plans.

However in true BRFCC style lets get into one of two camps. There's no room for middle ground on here!

Now that the coach has gone and we have a manager, someone will have to be in the firing line

:wacko:

Archived