BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Stuart

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34305492

Good point Bowyer makes that he didn't let his head drop after those first two great chances.

I thought he had a great game yesterday. Worked his socks off, epitomised by the fact that when our four v two chance late in the second half came, Rhodes had been back defending and wasn't one of them. He could have scored four or five and 'only' got two.

I hope his time here is appreciated as I think he will go next Summer - maybe even January.

Having had his head turned this Summer he appears to have collected his thoughts and got his head down since the window closed. Perhaps he feels he will only be sold to a PL club and is trying to encourage one to bid. Double edged sword though because he could fire us up the table between now and December and then the wheels fall off if he leaves.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34305492

Good point Bowyer makes that he didn't let his head drop after those first two great chances.

I thought he had a great game yesterday. Worked his socks off, epitomised by the fact that when our four v two chance late in the second half came, Rhodes had been back defending and wasn't one of them. He could have scored four or five and 'only' got two.

I hope his time here is appreciated as I think he will go next Summer - maybe even January.

Having had his head turned this Summer he appears to have collected his thoughts and got his head down since the window closed. Perhaps he feels he will only be sold to a PL club and is trying to encourage one to bid. Double edged sword though because he could fire us up the table between now and December and then the wheels fall off if he leaves.

He has looked physically stronger this season and I think his all round game has improved as a result. I also think he is still a little short of sharpness having missed a chunk of pre-season and getting injured at Huddersfield.

The signs are good and if he stays fit he could be on for 25+ goals this season.

I might have cloudy memories but before Gestede turned up and started scoring we seemed to play to Rhodes strengths a bit more. When Gestede proved he knew where the goal was we changed our gameplan which meant Rhodes had less chances.

Now Rhodes is back maybe we could return to those days of being less defensive, not hoofing it all game and supplying him with as many opportunities as possible.

Or maybe yesterday was a fluke?

I might have cloudy memories but before Gestede turned up and started scoring we seemed to play to Rhodes strengths a bit more. When Gestede proved he knew where the goal was we changed our gameplan which meant Rhodes had less chances.

Now Rhodes is back maybe we could return to those days of being less defensive, not hoofing it all game and supplying him with as many opportunities as possible.

I really want to believe that. I keep harping on about Jason Lowe (I expect no-one's noticed) but that's because of how visible an example he is of Bowyer's negative thinking. When we attack teams we look a force and, more often than not are successful, yet time and again we resort to caution.

That said, I completely agree about the dynamic Rhodes gives to the team in terms of forcing us to play the ball on the ground. Having a foil for him is important. Hopefully Koita can be that. Because the other problem is if Rhodes is injured.

No fluke. Previously the likes of Best and even Rudy tended to take up the central position that Rhodes likes to play in. Having someone like Koita being a little deeper and less central but moving around and bustling with defenders gives Rhodes the space for his clever movement. Even Delfy drifts into the centre a lot but he does his share of little runs pulling centre halves away as well. All works better for JR, just how many times has he lost his marker in the past 3 games ? He's had more chances up to now than he got in 10 last season.

Needs to keep up his new more aggressive harder working approach though especially in away games.

• Backroom

I've never seen him play as well and at the same time miss so many absolute sitters.

He's cherishing being the man in the box again, Rudy was often in his spot and often scored the goals.

Rhodes will bag more than 20 we just need to make sure the midfielders and strikers made up the deficit from Rudys loss

Spot on Booth.

Last 3 games I have seen continuously in the 18 yard box and we playing to his strengths. Honestly with the chances that he has missed over the last few games he could easily had 7 goals, but it is fantastic to see the change in the way he is being used.

Surely the credit for the changes to the way Rhodes is being used is down to Bowyer and his coaching staff?

Surely the credit for the changes to the way Rhodes is being used is down to Bowyer and his coaching staff?

Id say they deserve credit for completely tactically transforming the way we play in the last week, and it really suits Rhodes. Actually it seems to suit everyone.

But the test for Rhodes, Bowyer and the whole team is if they can keep it up for an extended period.

We've been here before where things have looked up and petered out.

The credit is due to Lowe getting injured and also to a league position/ first 30 mins at Fulham that forced us to abandon the negative tactics.

Credit to Bowyer because he can spot the likes of Lawrence and he has brought decent players in Akpan and Guthrie for example. Little credit for what has happened on the pitch this year I'm afraid.

The credit is due to Lowe getting injured and also to a league position/ first 30 mins at Fulham that forced us to abandon the negative tactics.

Credit to Bowyer because he can spot the likes of Lawrence and he has brought decent players in Akpan and Guthrie for example. Little credit for what has happened on the pitch this year I'm afraid.

Correct. He did say post match yesterday that they'd asked the team to play a little different this season because of the personnel lost. It's obvious we were set up towards Rudy last season, bizarrely even when he wasn't playing :blink:, so it isn't rocket science but credit to them for altering it although I suspect the idea was to have Brown take over the Rudy role but it hasn't worked out. It's only what most fans have been screaming for anyway.

We all know Jordan will score at this level ..but the missed chances over the last few games just proves to me he d be a gamble for a mediocre Premier League side where he may only get a couple of chances a game that have to be taken.

He will make it seven consecutive seasons to score 20 plus goals if he stays at Rovers this season..

We all know Jordan will score at this level ..but the missed chances over the last few games just proves to me he d be a gamble for a mediocre Premier League side where he may only get a couple of chances a game that have to be taken.

He will make it seven consecutive seasons to score 20 plus goals if he stays at Rovers this season..

I wouldn't say he's missed easy chances though. Some of the saves made have been superb. I can count one vs QPR and two yesterday that would have gone in on another day. His movement is exemplary. I do think he'd of course be a gamble for a Prem team though, mainly due to his lacking in physical attributes. Certainly seems to have improved on some of these recently though.

Yes indeed we are so fortunate to have the known astute tactician Bowyer and his intrepid coaching team on hand to get the best out of Jordan :wacko:

It took 2 years mind plus an injury to Lowe.

I couldn't help it :(

• Backroom

I wouldn't say he's missed easy chances though. Some of the saves made have been superb. I can count one vs QPR and two yesterday that would have gone in on another day. His movement is exemplary. I do think he'd of course be a gamble for a Prem team though, mainly due to his lacking in physical attributes. Certainly seems to have improved on some of these recently though.

Really?

V Fulham he missed an open net from 4 yards, had a free header straight at the keeper and headed over from 3 yards.

Yesterday we was totally unmarked in the box and should have given the keeper no chance, then had a one on one and went the wrong way then a inch perfect cross dead in front of goal where he mistimed and missed the ball.

He's been superb but let's not rewrite history they've been sitters he's missed, on the flip side his goal on Wednesday was from nothing!

Archived