BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Has Shaw actually said anything recently? I can't remember when he last said anything of note. I'm resuming the Q&A session was the last time, that he actually talked about anything. If he doesn't appear at the Lambert press conference, then it will be interesting to see what happens

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thrilled to bits.

Let's not expect miracles overnight, see the season out and get out of the embargo. Venkys want to stop losing £25m a year so will spend I'm sure.

From canaries to chickens, and now a phoenix rising.

Yep, the restaurant is doing ok

:D

I don't think I'd go so far as expecting a play off spot this year. But I'm certain that this bunch of players can produce more consistent displays and up their game to a higher level. I'm not advocating heaping on pressure should we come up short this year, but I think it's time to make the players understand away day draws aren't always acceptable. If we batter sides but come away with a point or worse, they need to understand its not good enough. I don't believe the players were on easy street in training etc, but there has been an unfortunate acceptance of mediocrity in recent times. And that isn't conducive to a side showing ruthlessness at both ends. Something Bowyer kept preaching. That sort of thing cones from the top.

Terrific stuff.

Feels like all Rovers fans can start to dream again of the PL.

As far as I can see, Kelly's role not specified - is he going to oversee the Academy !?!?

Just stuck £100 on Rovers to be promoted this season at 40/1.

Can the manager cope with all this pressure?!!

I don't think I'd go so far as expecting a play off spot this year. But I'm certain that this bunch of players can produce more consistent displays and up their game to a higher level. I'm not advocating heaping on pressure should we come up short this year, but I think it's time to make the players understand away day draws aren't always acceptable. If we batter sides but come away with a point or worse, they need to understand its not good enough. I don't believe the players were on easy street in training etc, but there has been an unfortunate acceptance of mediocrity in recent times. And that isn't conducive to a side showing ruthlessness at both ends. Something Bowyer kept preaching. That sort of thing cones from the top.

Good shout mate. One of my favourite managers was Hughes. Loved him to bits. If we lost a player through injury than another "had the opportunity to impress" or words to that effect.

What he never ever ever did was give them an excuse to fail.

Unfortunately Gary did quite often. Shankly would systematically destroy the opposition, "he's rubbish son, you're twice as good as him". Sometimes it wasn't true. So what?! Tell me a team that plays better without confidence?

Good shout mate. One of my favourite managers was Hughes. Loved him to bits. If we lost a player through injury than another "had the opportunity to impress" or words to that effect.

Unfortunately Gary did quite often. Shankly would systematically destroy the opposition, "he's rubbish son, you're twice as good as him". Sometimes it wasn't true. So what?! Tell me a team that plays better without confidence?

Less injuries in that kind of team as well

• Backroom

Think it was Shankly who said in a teamtalk: 'Forget Best and Charlton, we're not playing them. We're playing 9 dollopers.'

Definately team has accepted mediocrity with "we must not get beat" from GB. Mindset has to be "we are going to win"....but I trust Paul Lambert to know more about that than me :brfcsmilie:

I think they call it a winning mentality bob. I understand Gary had to nurse this side back from the precipice and I believe he did a great job of that. It's why I personally feel indebted to him. But after the season before last we had a chance to kick on. The players should have known they were good enough to beat more fancied sides. But it never happened. I guess it's a fine balancing act. But for all I appreciate his work, Bowyer perhaps kept the softly softly approach too long. Or maybe, having been the pally coach he didn't know how to instill that hard nosed demeanour required to push the side on to the next level. I dunno. But it's what seasoned managers do. And at long last we have one. And I'm delighted he's here.

• Backroom

Or maybe, having been the pally coach he didn't know how to instill that hard nosed demeanour required to push the side on to the next level. I dunno.

I think this is about right. All Bowyer really knew was youth and reserve team coaching, which is very different to first team management. Clearly some of that translated well, but when we really needed to push on we never could, and that's where Gary's limitations came in. I don't think he knew how to toughen up his approach, or if he believed that was even necessary. I wouldn't have expected him to lambast the players in public, but I get the feeling he never did it in private either. I'd guess the players wanted to do well for him, because most of them liked him as a person, but they never had the extra motivation to go out and deliver above and beyond expectations. They were satisfied with doing enough to get by, and Bowyer seemed happy to accept that.

I'm struggling to think of a previous occasion when there has been so much unity among Rovers supporters over a managerial appointment. I suppose we have to go back 11 years to when Mark Hughes was brought in to see such consensus and satisfaction.

I hope those making the decisions from Venkys read these pages and get the message of just how popular this appointment is among the support base.

Based on the comments on here, the Telegraph and on Twitter and from the people I know personally I'd put approval rating at this point in the high 90% range, which is unprecedented in our recent history.

The prospect of 5,500+ Rovers supporters at Deepdale on Saturday voicing their support of the new manager and his team is one I am looking forward to.

I just hope there is realism not just from supporters but also from the owners that it might not be an overnight job and it might well take time, and that all this talk about wanting promotion this season needs to be balanced out with our present situation and need to get spending money. They need to have faith in him and let him do the job as he wants to.

P.S. where has this talk about a 2.5 year contract come from? I've seen references to both 2.5 years and 3.5 years in the papers, but the club haven't announced the length of his contract.

That's my impression too DE. But I will happily admit I was desperate for him to succeed for both the club and for him personally. Wasn't to be.

Onwards and with any luck upwards. Except I now feel we can rely a little less on luck.

Jack Walker said he was desperate for Brian Kidd to succeed, but he knew why and when to pull the trigger.

Good turn around by the Venkies but it took to long IMV

Time to Turin draws into wins!

That post is shrouded in mystery

:D

Archived