BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Winning Football And/or Attractive Football

Dismaying but entirely predictable reaction from many fans at Ewood during and after the game the game last night. Seriously, is a swashbuckling win the absolute minimum required to satisfy a large proportion of our fans? That's not how football works!

The lack of realism is bewildering. We average 13,000 attendances, our season tickets cost a pittance, our match tickets on occasion cost a pittance. As the New Radicals song goes, we only get what we give. And financially we don't give much at all compared to the other clubs in this division, so why oh why don't our expectation levels match that?

I'm not saying the club should show no ambition. But there is a huge difference between trying to punch above our weight and being supportive whether it works or not, and demanding we punch above our weight and delivering harsh criticism at the first sign we're not doing it with aplomb.

I'm already getting the same worried sympathy for Lambert that I constantly had for big Sam. 3 wins out of 4 and the stadium practically empties within 30 seconds of the final whistle with barely even a token gesture of applause for our home players. Welcome to Rovers mate :mellow:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dismaying but entirely predictable reaction from many fans at Ewood during and after the game the game last night. Seriously, is a swashbuckling win the absolute minimum required to satisfy a large proportion of our fans? That's not how football works!

The lack of realism is bewildering. We average 13,000 attendances, our season tickets cost a pittance, our match tickets on occasion cost a pittance. As the New Radicals song goes, we only get what we give. And financially we don't give much at all compared to the other clubs in this division, so why oh why don't our expectation levels match that?

I'm not saying the club should show no ambition. But there is a huge difference between trying to punch above our weight and being supportive whether it works or not, and demanding we punch above our weight and delivering harsh criticism at the first sign we're not doing it with aplomb.

I'm already getting the same worried sympathy for Lambert that I constantly had for big Sam. 3 wins out of 4 and the stadium practically empties within 30 seconds of the final whistle with barely even a token gesture of applause for our home players. Welcome to Rovers mate :mellow:

I didn't go last night so I'm intrigued at the reaction of the fans to last nights win? Can you elaborate? booing? Lambert out?

As for the stadium emptying, thats always happened, some applaud some run out the exits to beat the traffic, nothing new.

Allardyce's brand of football will always be a short-term fix. He will eventually end up alienating large sections of the fanbase, not necessarily because of the old chestnut of wanting champagne football but because his extreme pragmatism on the pitch and dogmatic approach off it are a major turn off for the average supporter. Yes, he glammed things up a bit at Bolton with Okocha, Djorkaeff and Campo, but top quality like that will always shine through irregardless of the style of play employed.

• Moderation Lead

I didn't manage to get on last night, but I genuinely think too many people don't understand the game very well and expect too much from players.

The moans and groans at the slightest misplaced pass and boos when we draw are just embarrassing.

I didn't go last night so I'm intrigued at the reaction of the fans to last nights win? Can you elaborate? booing? Lambert out?

As for the stadium emptying, thats always happened, some applaud some run out the exits to beat the traffic, nothing new.

I didn't hear any boo's last night as I'm sure we are all extremely chuffed with how our clubs performed since the appointment of PL.

People around me were very anxious for the first ten minutes as we played some poor stuff particularly at the back.

We left bang on the final whistle and most people including myself appeared happy that we can win 'ugly'.

I didn't manage to get on last night, but I genuinely think too many people don't understand the game very well and expect too much from players.

The moans and groans at the slightest misplaced pass and boos when we draw are just embarrassing.

I once asked somebody I know why they habitually left five minutes before the end. Astonishingly his reply was that he has always done that. Others I know use a plethora of excuses like to beat the traffic, bus to catch or whatever. I will never understand this mindset but for a lot of early leavers it is a habit they cannot break.

I once asked somebody I know why they habitually left five minutes before the end. Astonishingly his reply was that he has always done that. Others I know use a plethora of excuses like to beat the traffic, bus to catch or whatever. I will never understand this mindset but for a lot of early leavers it is a habit they cannot break.

Unless previously thrown out I always stayed until well after the final whistle. Lots of reasons but always thought you should get full value for £s spent and might miss a goal or some excitement. Also as prone to mild claustrophobia I cannot abide stairwells full of people. Elevators are hell on earth.

Actually I got to like watching the crowd disperse, reflecting back on the match and planning the first pint. Only downside was the bars were always full when I got there.

Allardyce's brand of football will always be a short-term fix. He will eventually end up alienating large sections of the fanbase, not necessarily because of the old chestnut of wanting champagne football but because his extreme pragmatism on the pitch and dogmatic approach off it are a major turn off for the average supporter. Yes, he glammed things up a bit at Bolton with Okocha, Djorkaeff and Campo, but top quality like that will always shine through irregardless of the style of play employed.

no need

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=irregardless

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/irregardless

Allardyce's brand of football will always be a short-term fix. He will eventually end up alienating large sections of the fanbase, not necessarily because of the old chestnut of wanting champagne football but because his extreme pragmatism on the pitch and dogmatic approach off it are a major turn off for the average supporter.

But of a generalisation that Toppers. What's an 'average supporter'?

The fanbase was always split under Sam, some were majorly turned off, no point pretending otherwise, however a hell of a lot of fans realised that we had a top manager who was doing a cracking job with the resources at his disposal.

Down at Ipswich McCarthy has been under the cosh from a section on their fans from the off because of substance over style. When they win it's just a murmur but when they lose or draw a few it's a crescendo.

Some only want to watch fancy football but still moan to hell when their team don't win. Others are just clueless and it baffles me why they bother at all.

It's just another case of 'BRFCC's lack of middle ground, posters can be cautious without going overboard.

I personally find some of the Lambert praise nauseating to be honest. I was at the same games and didn't see career defining performances by the same players as Bowyer had, and didn't see astute tactics either, but i did see 3 points which was most welcome.

The bowyerettes are just aching to have a go at lambert, pretty sad really

Where?

I don't see anyone having a pop. In the stadium I heard a few solitary boos but I don't think these are whatever you call them, just impatience IMO which is completely counter productive en masse.

Wins are all that's remembered, and as many of us have predicted - an actual manager will attain more based on simple experience of the scenarios. It's telling already.

Long term unbeaten runs will also prop up confidence on the pitch and hopefully develop us to perform better than last night when needed. Monday night is going to be a good barometer for how far we've come so far.

The bowyerettes are just aching to have a go at lambert, pretty sad really

When Lambert was appointed, I did state my concern that some of Bowyer's staunchest supporters would be inclined to get on PL's back at the earliest opportunity.

Can't remember the exact term blueboy used in reply to my post, but it was a suggestion that it was all in my head or something haha.

That is very interesting and informative indeed. If reading to the bottom of the first link you would see that it states that only a pompous rude a☆☆hole would it in fact correct you. Well researched. Along with our vastly improved results now the boringly unproductive one has been potted, you've cheered me up.

It's just another case of 'BRFCC's lack of middle ground, posters can be cautious without going overboard.

I personally find some of the Lambert praise nauseating to be honest. I was at the same games and didn't see career defining performances by the same players as Bowyer had, and didn't see astute tactics either, but i did see 3 points which was most welcome.

Middle ground? Nauseating? Bit ironic.

Anyhow, expecting anything other than similar performances from the players Bowyer sourced is daft. The players and football on display is still as crap as ever. It's been total dog poo since they sacked Allardyce, with only Yakubu and one or two others excluded from that.

What many hoped at this time was that a new manager could install a bit of fibre, focus a few minds, improve fitness, concentration and belief and give some of these young lads a sense of purpose and direction. Lambert wasn't my first choice and I'm glad I'm being proven so stupid. The players are showing they want far more than was ever expected of them under Bowyer and the fact we are doing it without Rhodes scoring, away from home, without conceeding many and with a positive goal difference is praise worthy indeed.

Love 1-0 victories at home or away. Brilliant. Professional football.

I agree with Gav to an extent, some of the things I've read on hear regarding Lamberts arrival have been very over the top(for example people already comparing him to the likes of hughes, souness and allardyce) hopfully he will still be here in a few years time and we will be a team of the same calibre as those managers put together, but were nowhere near there yet.

the thing with the staunch/stubborn bowyer supporters is though, the vast majority of fans(including myself) gave bowyer chance after chance after chance, but he just couldn't get it right, its only really in the last few months of his tenure that the bulk of fans accepted that we just weren't getting anywhere with bowyer, if anything results and league position wise(the 2 things that count most) we where getting worst so he had to go, he wasn't hounded out at all.

but the problem is those staunch bowyer supporters have already got their knives sharpened, I'm sure though if we keep getting the results we are they will have to let it go and just move on.

That is very interesting and informative indeed. If reading to the bottom of the first link you would see that it states that only a pompous rude a☆☆hole would it in fact correct you. Well researched. Along with our vastly improved results now the boringly unproductive one has been potted, you've cheered me up.

That doesn't make sense. I'm sorry I had to to correct you.

Irregardless, i'm happy you're happy, it's been a while.

the thing with the staunch/stubborn bowyer supporters is though, the vast majority of fans(including myself) gave bowyer chance after chance after chance, but he just couldn't get it right, its only really in the last few months of his tenure that the bulk of fans accepted that we just weren't getting anywhere with bowyer, if anything results and league position wise(the 2 things that count most) we where getting worst so he had to go, he wasn't hounded out at all.

but the problem is those staunch bowyer supporters have already got their knives sharpened, I'm sure though if we keep getting the results we are they will have to let it go and just move on.

There's only you going on about him. Are you missing him?

• Backroom

When Lambert was appointed, I did state my concern that some of Bowyer's staunchest supporters would be inclined to get on PL's back at the earliest opportunity.

Some bizarre posts already after 3 wins out of 4 games, should be a few doozies when we finally lose a match.

It's human nature though. Nobody wants to be proven wrong. In a few months I'm sure anybody harbouring resentment over what happened with Bowyer will have returned to positive (or at least neutral) ground.

Personally, I'll judge Lambert the same as any other manager. If we're winning games regularly, I'm happy. If we're in a bad run of form with no end in sight, it's time to criticise. Performances are ultimately always secondary to results. Seeing as I only attend a handful of games throughout the season, though, I appreciate for others the performance or entertainment value will take greater priority.

Middle ground? Nauseating? Bit ironic.

Anyhow, expecting anything other than similar performances from the players Bowyer sourced is daft. The players and football on display is still as crap as ever. It's been total dog poo since they sacked Allardyce, with only Yakubu and one or two others excluded from that.

What many hoped at this time was that a new manager could install a bit of fibre, focus a few minds, improve fitness, concentration and belief and give some of these young lads a sense of purpose and direction. Lambert wasn't my first choice and I'm glad I'm being proven so stupid. The players are showing they want far more than was ever expected of them under Bowyer and the fact we are doing it without Rhodes scoring, away from home, without conceeding many and with a positive goal difference is praise worthy indeed.

Love 1-0 victories at home or away. Brilliant. Professional football.

You've obviously been reading my posts, you've got the message, welcome to the club, glad to have you :tu:

Archived