BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Reading Sun 20Th Dec

Well, seeing as it's Friday lunchtime and we don't have a thread started for this weekend's game, I thought I'd start one.

I watched Reading the other night and to be honest wasn't really that impressed. I think we have enough to come away with all 3pts.

Having said that, McDermott has just been re-appointed so they could all be out to impress the new gaffer.

I think it's a strange one re-appointing a manager, especially one who has had success there in the past. It puts a huge amount of pressure and expectation on his shoulders and could end up going 'a bit Mourinho'.

I think we might just edge this one by the odd goal in 3. Conway and Koita on the scoresheet. I'd usually go for Rhodes (obviously) but we all know he hardly ever scores around Christmas. Why? I do not know but the last couple of seasons have been exactly the same around the festive period.

COYB

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New manager bounce or anti climax from re appointing, could go either way. Best way is to get at them and get a goal or two early if possible. Could come unstuck in this one and we've yet to see how Lambos side reacts to going behind but I think we'll draw yet again, we just seriously lack a cutting edge because we just don't have those players. They do put the effort in though and we can be a strong side.

Royals 1 Rovers 1 (a healthy 700 travelling throng)

Conway with the equalizer.

Started to wonder if we had the weekend off - seems like the new manager "Bounce" has already worn off amongst the fans anyway :P

Think a 2-0 loss is coming in this game - 2nd goal late whilst we are chasing the game. Just can't see us scoring at the moment and it would be typical to lose a game just when some fans are already wondering if he really is the messiah (or just a very naughty boy...)

Going down to this one! Me and the boy are doing our annual over nighter to spread the travelling. Staying on Saturday night in the Wiltshire town I spent two happy years in as a boy, and feeling as happy and carefree as I did aged nine back then.

Sticking my neck out by predicting Rhodes to be benched in favour of Lawrence and 1-0 to the Rovers!

Safe journey to those going and happy Christmas.

COYB!

Got a bad feeling- probably because I recall going to Elm Park full of optimism and we ended up on the wrong end of a 4-0 thrashing.

Two semi-fit semi-good sides each with a potent goal scorer (I always thought Blackman would come good).

Expect Reading to open strongly so we must start high energy also.

Over to Lambert to earn his bonus on this one.

Rovers to come away with the 3 points with Guthrie and Akpan inspired on their return to their old stomping ground.

Discounted a 'McDermott impact' - did well there first time around but think he is overrated and a 'slow burner' at best. I am in the 'managers should never go back school'.

My team: Steele / Henry (if fit), Hanley, Henley, Olsson / Conway, Guthrie, Akpan, Marshall / Koita, Rhodes.

Fancy a 3-1 win with Rovers delivering a nice Christmas bonus at 5/2.

Rovers to come away with the 3 points with Guthrie and Akpan inspired on their return to their old stomping ground.

Discounted a 'McDermott impact' - did well there first time around but think he is overrated and a 'slow burner' at best. I am in the 'managers should never go back school'.

My team: Steele / Henry (if fit), Hanley, Henley, Olsson / Conway, Guthrie, Akpan, Marshall / Koita, Rhodes.

Is Duffy out then ?

Got a bad feeling- probably because I recall going to Elm Park full of optimism and we ended up on the wrong end of a 4-0 thrashing.

Two semi-fit semi-good sides each with a potent goal scorer (I always thought Blackman would come good).

Expect Reading to open strongly so we must start high energy also.

Over to Lambert to earn his bonus on this one.

When we eventually learn to start with " high energy " the penny will have dropped. It's absolutely essential that we really go for it from the first whistle.

Mercerman in emphatic win prediction shock horror!

Is Duffy injured or have I missed something?

Maybe I'm being pedantic but the title of the thread should be Reading v Rovers as Reading are the home team. As it stands it looks as though the match is at Ewood.

McDermott's return has come at a bad time for us, as they have been on a poor run. He's no genius as a manager but his arrival will give their dressing room a lift.

I'm going for 1-1.

I know they've got a new manager but so have we (relatively). 4 consecutive losses, with 1 win in their last 5, whereas we have 3 wins in 5, with 2 draws.

I'll certainly fancy our chances

A bit different:

Steele

Marshall, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson

Lawrence, Guthrie, Akpan, Conway

Koita, Rhodes

Maybe I'm being pedantic but the title of the thread should be Reading v Rovers as Reading are the home team. As it stands it looks as though the match is at Ewood.

McDermott's return has come at a bad time for us, as they have been on a poor run. He's no genius as a manager but his arrival will give their dressing room a lift.

I'm going for 1-1.

Me too Jim, I'll take an away draw though. If we can only start winning our home games regularly away draws aren't too bad.

• Backroom

I forgot about Nick Blackman. In that case, the immutable law of the ex will definitely come into play. I amend my prediction to a 2-1 Reading win.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

Hopefully it works in reverse and Akpan and Guthrie get on the scoresheet!

Mercerman in emphatic win prediction shock horror!

Is Duffy injured or have I missed something?

Playing with 10 men is what happens at this time of year when Christmas events start at lunchtime !

Nope, Duffy's in there and it's still a Rovers' win.

Onwards and upwards.

Blackman has proved himself capable at this level and will be a danger tomorrow but if our centre back boys continue their good form they should handle him. What another stinking signing by dastardly and muttleys crew that was though. One solitary goal for lower league Macc then ends up at a Prem club for an undisclosed sum and two an a half year contract.

Then never gets a crack of the whip when he might have turned out ok in this league, presumably because of the deal the conmen had put him on. He certainly couldn't have been any worse than Best or Goodwille, I know we are finally moving on from that stuff now but every now and then a stark reminder of how unbelievable it was pops up.

To think there are idiots out there who defend Kean !!

Blackman has proved himself capable at this level and will be a danger tomorrow but if our centre back boys continue their good form they should handle him. What another stinking signing by dastardly and muttleys crew that was though. One solitary goal for lower league Macc then ends up at a Prem club for an undisclosed sum and two an a half year contract.

Then never gets a crack of the whip when he might have turned out ok in this league, presumably because of the deal the conmen had put him on. He certainly couldn't have been any worse than Best or Goodwille, I know we are finally moving on from that stuff now but every now and then a stark reminder of how unbelievable it was pops up.

Never forget going Cardiff away, could well have been his first start for Rovers or perhaps the first time I saw him start a game... At right back. Unbelievable.

He was an Ince signing though, wasn't he?

Archived