BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Derby County (Away) - 24Th February 2016 - 7.45 Ko

I was expecting to come on here this morning and see the usual doom and gloom from people who weren't at the game, glad to see I wasn't disappointed.

I went last night as I was working over that way, sat with derby fans though unfortunately! The derby fans I spoke to were really impressed by us and all said we were the better side and couldn't believe we were in the league position we are. They also remarked that next season they expect us to be challenging for promotion, always nice to hear.

I thought we played well in patches and made some errors in others. Their goal was very well taken however he shouldn't have been afforded the time he was to get the shot in.

Evans and Lenihan worked really well again, they were a little bit on top of the back 4 in the first half but grew as the game went on.

Graham worked really hard upfront and fashioned a few half chances for himself, one in particular in the first half when he dumped Shackell on his backside where he should have squared to Spurr.

Gomez was quiet to begin with but his class was evident as the game progressed.

Marshall was great again at right back, he's getting better with each game.

Overall the energy and intensity were great, I'd say we played at a higher tempo than the Fulham game especially in the second half.

Bennett worked tirelessly.

Hanley and Duffy look a better option than Ward in the side.

Steele had a good game.

Grimes looked well off the pace in the first half and looked weak to be honest, he needs to adjust to the speed and physicality of this league if he is going to make it.

The result might not be to everyone's satisfaction but the performance was another step in the right direction.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Disapointing but unsurprising result. When was the last time we won at Derby? Must've been the 5-2 FA Cup win back in 2001 surely. That aside, sounds like Rovers played well enough to get something but there are legitimate reasons we are 19th in the league and one of them is the defensive lapses that cost us sloppy goals.

MK Dons game now as huge as the Fulham game.

How did Matt Grimes get on?

We won 3-0 in a cup game under Appleton, Scott Dann scored an absolute banger!

A dreadful game with two very average teams who are both light years away from Premier League standard. Add to that a referee who was utterly inept - even by the standards of the Championship officials - and it all added up to a dismal night in Derby. Marshall was by far and away our best player. A night to forget.

We had two shots on goal where the 'keeper made a save. The first came after sixty minutes from Graham and then a super free-kick from Marshall. If that's peppering the goal heaven help us.

We also hit the bar?

Derby might be light years away from Prem standard but are proof of what you need to get in the play off's and I genuinely don't think we are a million miles away. Nobody who was at the game could have come away thinking that they are a substantially better side. I totally agree that they are very average but they're the yardstick of what it takes to make the play offs.

A frustrating game to watch due to another one sided ref who gave them everything and us nothing. Why do refs give freekicks for blatant dives? This will eventually drive me away from the game.

Even with the ref on their side we still deserved to get something from the game, we more than matched Derby. The BBC stats show the shots at 16 - 10 to us.

Lenihan and Marshall were the standouts for me.

Still not convinced by Graham and Bennett. Gomez was average.

I'm not disputing its a point business, I clearly stated the result wasn't satisfactory. If all we discussed were results the forum would be pretty much redundant as it could be done in a single post.

In fact 1-0.

close the thread. No more discussion.

A frustrating game to watch due to another one sided ref who gave them everything and us nothing. Why do refs give freekicks for blatant dives? This will eventually drive me away from the game.

Even with the ref on their side we still deserved to get something from the game, we more than matched Derby. The BBC stats show the shots at 16 - 10 to us.

Lenihan and Marshall were the standouts for me.

Still not convinced by Graham and Bennett. Gomez was average.

I thought the ref had an absolute stinker, there were a few occasions in the first half when he made awful decision on corners and throw ins. Some of them defied logic.

Blackburn Rovers manager Paul Lambert:

"I am proud of the way we played, there's a way to lose a game and I thought we were excellent. We have been playing well for a few weeks, there were some big performances, and I think the lads are starting to play. We had some great positions and maybe the one thing you could say was we never had the right weight of pass or the right decision. But other than that, for work rate and endeavour, we couldn't ask for any more."

"There's a way to lose"? Seriously?

Bit off topic, but over the last four seasons I have listened to what feels like hundreds of away night games on Radio Lancs, I am normally turning off in despair around 9.35pm.

How many away night games have we won since relegation, can't be many?

I am usually forced to turn off due to KG driving me to distraction. He's painful.

Bit off topic, but over the last four seasons I have listened to what feels like hundreds of away night games on Radio Lancs, I am normally turning off in despair around 9.35pm.

How many games have we won in that time after going behind ? That can't be many either.

Chap on Twitter (so take this with a bucket-load of salt) reckons Watt has been mucking around in training and was on the lash til the early hours one night last week on a weekday. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but as I said yesterday, there's a reason why he's been passed from club to club.

Good point. Remember a win at Millwall late in 2012-2013 that was a big game in staying up! Aside from that I'm scratching my head.

Actually, we won at Hillsborough last year and at Leeds this year. But generally, our record is dismal - we've averaged 1 win a season!

The garbage (Gomez apart) he's brought in this January won't help either.

How much has Lambert spent on players?

Despite having the embargo lifted, he's been restricted to freebies and loan deals in the toughest time to do business.

This season was always a write-off. Next season will be the time to judge Lambert's dealings... assuming Venky's give him more than 50p and a curly wurly to trade with.

• Moderation Lead

Good point, I can only recall 3 away games I've been to that we've won since relegation off the top of my head :glare:

We are in the results business and therefore Lambert is failing but I can't believe the over reaction on here. Last night I thought we played well and should have taken something from the game. Evans and Lenihan generally embossed the midfield and defensively we were solid. I think Lambert got it wrong by playing Gomez wide and Bennett central. I thought we would have been far more effective as an attacking force if they had swapped positions.

One lapse in concentration and we let Derby in but overall we were better. I am satisfied with how we are performing and hopefully in the summer we will see an influx of players who will help to turn these good performances in to wins.

We are in the results business and therefore Lambert is failing but I can't believe the over reaction on here. Last night I thought we played well and should have taken something from the game. Evans and Lenihan generally embossed the midfield and defensively we were solid. I think Lambert got it wrong by playing Gomez wide and Bennett central. I thought we would have been far more effective as an attacking force if they had swapped positions.

One lapse in concentration and we let Derby in but overall we were better. I am satisfied with how we are performing and hopefully in the summer we will see an influx of players who will help to turn these good performances in to wins.

It really is a massive summer and for me it will shape the future of this club.

Let Lambert bring in player for decent fees and I really do believe we can start looking up the table again, another summer like 2015, with say Hanley going and more freebies brought in and we can say goodbye to even competing at this level.

The overreactions as with most weeks seem to come from people who just look at the result and invariably aren't at the game.

Have a look at some of the FB groups if you want to see over reaction, one win and we can mount a play off push one defeat and its get Bowyer back we were lucky to have him etc etc.

That said until we can start keeping clean sheets we are going to struggle to win games, as Fulham aside we haven't looked like opening teams.

• Moderation Lead

I'm not surprised at all- players don't get a chance unless they turn into Pele on their debut, (heaven forbid they ever make a mistake!) they're all useless/garbage etc. I think it was Steve Kean's Hypnotoad that used the word 'astonishing', I used the word 'bi-polar', both I'd say are applicable to be honest. People seem to be aware that we've been relegated and languish near the bottom of the league, but then expect players to be world-beaters that can do everything. Incredibly bizarre, but to each their own.

Think some perspective needed.

We went to top 6 team Derby who've spent approaching £30million and by all accounts we gave as good as we got and should have come way with a point at least.

Let's be brutally honest - we are in one hell of a mess and magic wands are as scarce as rocking horse shyte.

The previous 2 seasons, Bowyer failed miserably to even get us into the top 6, we rarely threatened even though we had a 40 goal a season strike force in Rhodes and Gestede, supplemented with the likes of Cairney and King.

I think Lambert inferred when he arrived that Brockhall was like a holiday camp with a nice easy going attitude and atmosphere.

IMV, Bowyer has a lot to answer for and that's why he remains unemployed in football and is unlikely to manage in the Football League again.

Also time to get over Rhodes who I think has been a big part of our problem this season. It's been reported that he wanted away for 3 windows and I think it showed. We are lucky to get what we did for a very limited player - seemingly, not a PL club in sight.

This window, Lambert has made big changes with half a dozen or so players coming in on a shoestring. I think there is a pattern of play emerging and we look more effective as a unit. Good cup win at Oxford, excellent point at top 2 M'boro (anyone expect that?), turned over by Hull but come on, to lose 3 key players just before the match against a top 2 team, thumped Fulham, West Ham - anyone really expect us to turn over a top 8 PL side in the transition we are ?

At this stage of Lambert's tenure, I expect us to see off the likes of MKD convincingly at home on Saturday, as we did with Fulham.

The time to judge Lambert will not be until Christmas at the earliest. Huge changes are still needed in the summer. He knows what he inherited and he has very carefully told the fans that if you analyse his comments. He's also shown he's not afraid to make the big decisions and he's not prepared to mess about with prima donnas.

For the first time since Sam went, we have a manager who resonates with me. I remember the early days of Furphy, Lee, Kendall and Souness who all inherited huge problems. The darkest day is just before the dawn. In Lambert we trust.

Yes, we played well but everything went our way that night. We got off on the right foot with a penalty then never looked like scoring again until Duffy scored from a set piece for the first time in around 30 attempts.

Either side of that in two home games we folded like a deck of cards when the game went against us. Completely gave up. We never used to do that under the previous manager for all his faults. Overall I think we've gone backwards.

I was a fan of Bowyer - who didn't receive the plaudits he deserved from some - but it was time to move on. I can recall quite a few matches under Bowyer where they just seemed to give up - so to level this at PL is a little unfair - though I will agree that (until recently) we had gone backwards massively. To say everything went our way against Fulham - is like saying everything went against us against Derby - the championship is full of average teams where small margins (like the rub of the green) influence matches hugely. Even against West Ham - we had a good chance at 2-1 down to score - score it, Taylor wouldn't have been sent off, and it could have been a different match (though still likely we would have been beaten)

PL's tactics rely on having an extremely fit and well drilled squad - with a high pressure pressing game you have to do it as a team, and this (in combination with fitness issues) is why I think it is taking some time for his methods to take shape. But IMO we are slowly starting to see the benefits from his approach - a bit like a low budget transformation that Liverpool are going through under Klopp.

My biggest concern at the moment is that Marshall is slowly making himself a certainty for player of the year - and we know what happens to them.

FFS Chaddy, he replied to a comment you made! It's a message board, that's what people tend to do!!!

Ricky, have you ever thought that after Abbey comments towards me over the past 12 months, all the digs and sly comments he makes towards that I rather he not make any kind of comments towards me at all. Just a few weeks back he threaten to punch me. Lets not forget that Ricky

not We are in the results business and therefore Lambert is failing but I can't believe the over reaction on here. Last night I thought we played well and should have taken something from the game. Evans and Lenihan generally embossed the midfield and defensively we were solid. I think Lambert got it wrong by playing Gomez wide and Bennett central. I thought we would have been far more effective as an attacking force if they had swapped positions.

Thanks for the summary arbitro.

Can I ask how Graham play last night and playing up front on his own? did he hold the ball up well and bring others into play more?

We went to top 6 team Derby who've spent approaching £30million and by all accounts we gave as good as we got and should have come way with a point at least.

Let's be brutally honest - we are in one hell of a mess and magic wands are as scarce as rocking horse shyte.

The previous 2 seasons, Bowyer failed miserably to even get us into the top 6, we rarely threatened even though we had a 40 goal a season strike force in Rhodes and Gestede, supplemented with the likes of Cairney and King.

I think Lambert inferred when he arrived that Brockhall was like a holiday camp with a nice easy going attitude and atmosphere.

IMV, Bowyer has a lot to answer for and that's why he remains unemployed in football and is unlikely to manage in the Football League again.

Also time to get over Rhodes who I think has been a big part of our problem this season. It's been reported that he wanted away for 3 windows and I think it showed. We are lucky to get what we did for a very limited player - seemingly, not a PL club in sight.

This window, Lambert has made big changes with half a dozen or so players coming in on a shoestring. I think there is a pattern of play emerging and we look more effective as a unit. Good cup win at Oxford, excellent point at top 2 M'boro (anyone expect that?), turned over by Hull but come on, to lose 3 key players just before the match against a top 2 team, thumped Fulham, West Ham - anyone really expect us to turn over a top 8 PL side in the transition we are ?

At this stage of Lambert's tenure, I expect us to see off the likes of MKD convincingly at home on Saturday, as we did with Fulham.

The time to judge Lambert will not be until Christmas at the earliest. Huge changes are still needed in the summer. He knows what he inherited and he has very carefully told the fans that if you analyse his comments. He's also shown he's not afraid to make the big decisions and he's not prepared to mess about with prima donnas.

For the first time since Sam went, we have a manager who resonates with me. I remember the early days of Furphy, Lee, Kendall and Souness who all inherited huge problems. The darkest day is just before the dawn. In Lambert we trust.

I agree with all of that - except that bit about Christmas. As an experienced manager - who has had quite a few months to assess the squad, and already one transfer window to tweak the team - we should be able to hit the ground running next season (or at least in the early part of it). If I remember correctly - under Souness it was around October that we started to pick up a bit of form - I would expect no less under PL.

Seems like we played ok last night. I think performances have improved since the transfer window. Lets face it, we are a squad severely lacking in quality so it's no surprise we're where we are. A system and style of play seems to be emerging which is promising. It's that lack of quality that is still missing, but that will be rectified in the summer.

Graham and Gomez have impressed me. I'd keep those two. Watt is really unfit. Ward and Bennett have been average but are good squad players moving forward.

We will make significant investments in the summer. A GK, LB, RB, winger, holding midfielder, playmaker, and three strikers have to be on the list.

Very good post MM.

I expecting huge changes come this summer playing staff wise. Plus a very tough pre-season to come for all the players who are at the club. I Think Alan Irvine said his 1st Rovers player interview that the best time to come into any club is pre-season then you can get fitness levels were you like them plus try some formations out to see which one suits the team and the players.

I would sign Gomez and Graham permanent this summer. but we need at least 7 or 8 players in this summer.

But Credit to Lambert that he has got Marshall performing very highly and he is having a good game each week. It's probably between Marshall and Hanley for this season Player of the year.

Archived