BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Derby County (Away) - 24Th February 2016 - 7.45 Ko

Can I ask how Graham play last night and playing up front on his own? did he hold the ball up well and bring others into play more?

He had his best game by far, he looked sharp. Got an excellent shot away on the turn that produced a good save by their keeper.

Having said that, he needs to show more and score a few more before I'd offer him a contract.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ricky, have you ever thought that after Abbey comments towards me over the past 12 months, all the digs and sly comments he makes towards that I rather he not make any kind of comments towards me at all. Just a few weeks back he threaten to punch me. Lets not forget that Ricky

Thanks for the summary arbitro.

Can I ask how Graham play last night and playing up front on his own? did he hold the ball up well and bring others into play more?

Graham did well overall and showed good hold up play, linked well and had two decent opportunities. I think he (and we) would have benefited more from Gomez playing more centrally.

Ricky, have you ever thought that after Abbey comments towards me over the past 12 months, all the digs and sly comments he makes towards that I rather he not make any kind of comments towards me at all. Just a few weeks back he threaten to punch me. Lets not forget that Ricky

PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE I THREATENED TO PUNCH YOU!!!!!

AND YOU NEVER MAKE SLY DIGS AT ANYONE DO YOU ..ASK JAL.

Do you blame ABBEY you are a pain in the backside

I do think you got a few good kickings at school

It really is a massive summer and for me it will shape the future of this club.

Let Lambert bring in player for decent fees and I really do believe we can start looking up the table again, another summer like 2015, with say Hanley going and more freebies brought in and we can say goodbye to even competing at this level.

The last few transfer windows they've looked to pull in over ten mill whilst reloading with loans already there's been talk of the two centre half's being moved on.

How can you have any confidence as the slide continues and the club has no money plus you've got the agents carrying masters degree in communication spinning whatever.

PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE I THREATENED TO PUNCH YOU!!!!!

AND YOU NEVER MAKE SLY DIGS AT ANYONE DO YOU ..ASK JAL.

my apologises for the punch comment, cos you didn't say punch BUT Actually said and I quoted

"Den I will accept it from but next home game come and tell me to my face to grow up !"

http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/30871-transfer-window-january-2016/?p=1610283

A lot of people moaning after the game last night, although I'm not quite sure why.

My take on it was that whilst I was disappointed and frustrated that we didn't get something from the game, I felt we were worthy of at least a point and played reasonably well, and it was a similar standard performance to the draw at Middlesbrough and the win over Fulham.

I cast my mind back to some of the midweek away performances in recent seasons, Derby away being one of them, and we were much, much better than we were when we went there last season. No longer a side that just seems happy to pass the ball around in our own half and offers nothing other than long balls up, we have a midfield that functions. We had them on the back foot for long periods and that was reflected in the atmosphere in the ground as the home fans were kept very quiet.

Of course I'm very frustrated that once again we have come up short. Its a frequent problem that we seem to always get the final ball wrong. Too many poor decisions in the final third. Time and time again we would get the ball forward and people forward into decent positions but then delay too long, or pick the wrong pass. We need a lot more composure and ruthlessness in the final third.

But the rest of the team - midfield and defence - I feel performed well. I have certainly seen enough against Middlesbrough, Fulham and Derby to give me reasons to be optimistic going forward.

This wasn't a 'routine' midweek defeat that we have seen time and time again over the last 3 seasons - where we would turn up and offer next to nothing and go down to a defeat or at best a draw. We were well in the game throughout and with more composure/better decision making it could so easily have been a different story.

Lambert is bound to get stick, this probably originates from his selection for the Cup game and people's unhappiness with that.

The big test will be on Saturday, when 3 points are essential.

The garbage (Gomez apart) he's brought in this January won't help either.

Jal is wrong, you can say fairer than that. You can allow Lambert and Co to work with the new players and then make a judgement.

They look a bit more lively than the dross that arrived in the summer.

my apologises for the punch comment, cos you didn't say punch BUT Actually said and I quoted

"Den I will accept it from but next home game come and tell me to my face to grow up !"

This might be better than the game

In the red corner the Riston bronco

In the blue corner Walter from the beano

http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/30871-transfer-window-january-2016/?p=1610283

A lot of people moaning after the game last night, although I'm not quite sure why.

My take on it was that whilst I was disappointed and frustrated that we didn't get something from the game, I felt we were worthy of at least a point and played reasonably well, and it was a similar standard performance to the draw at Middlesbrough and the win over Fulham.

I cast my mind back to some of the midweek away performances in recent seasons, Derby away being one of them, and we were much, much better than we were when we went there last season. No longer a side that just seems happy to pass the ball around in our own half and offers nothing other than long balls up, we have a midfield that functions. We had them on the back foot for long periods and that was reflected in the atmosphere in the ground as the home fans were kept very quiet.

Of course I'm very frustrated that once again we have come up short. Its a frequent problem that we seem to always get the final ball wrong. Too many poor decisions in the final third. Time and time again we would get the ball forward and people forward into decent positions but then delay too long, or pick the wrong pass. We need a lot more composure and ruthlessness in the final third.

But the rest of the team - midfield and defence - I feel performed well. I have certainly seen enough against Middlesbrough, Fulham and Derby to give me reasons to be optimistic going forward.

This wasn't a 'routine' midweek defeat that we have seen time and time again over the last 3 seasons - where we would turn up and offer next to nothing and go down to a defeat or at best a draw. We were well in the game throughout and with more composure/better decision making it could so easily have been a different story.

Lambert is bound to get stick, this probably originates from his selection for the Cup game and people's unhappiness with that.

The big test will be on Saturday, when 3 points are essential.

In any team sport decision making at speed under pressure is the factor that separates the average players from the good/great players.

• Moderation Lead

In any team sport decision making at speed under pressure is the factor that separates the average players from the good/great players.

This! Hesitation is the enemy in football.

This might be better than the game

In the red corner the Riston bronco

In the blue corner Walter from the beano

Walter from the Beano, brilliant.

Very true. Jansen said that after his accident he had to think about things on the pitch that had previously been natural to him.

He still had the technique, but it's those split seconds that can define a player.

• Backroom

Bit off topic, but over the last four seasons I have listened to what feels like hundreds of away night games on Radio Lancs, I am normally turning off in despair around 9.35pm.

How many away night games have we won since relegation, can't be many?

According to wikipedia, the answer is twice in twenty three matches:

2012-13 - 1/8

2013-14 - 0/5

2014-15 - 0/6

2015-16 - 1/4

I was skimming through so it's possible I missed a couple, but the bottom line is - if we're away and it's mid week, regardless of the opposition, expect a draw at best.

Jal is wrong, you can say fairer than that. You can allow Lambert and Co to work with the new players and then make a judgement.

They look a bit more lively than the dross that arrived in the summer.

Performances seem to have been slightly exagerated to date IMO.

• Backroom

How many games have we won in that time after going behind ? That can't be many either.

Based on games when the opposition scored first (source wikipedia):

2012-13 - 3/23

2013-14 - 1/19

2014-15 - 4/18

2015-16 - 0/17

Again, i'm skimming through and being distracted so I may have missed a few, but basically if we fall behind it's very much reasonable to assume a pessimistic attitude. This season's stats in particular show what a spineless group of losers we have in our squad.

If you want to watch a team that is really good at decision making at speed watch the Australian Rugby League team.

I remember them playing New Zealand a few years back. New Zealand were winning by a couple of points with about 30 seconds left on the clock. Australia broke away from inside their own half up the wing, the ball went through about seven players in a sweeping move. Each player had to decide instantly wether to pass inside, pass outside, run with the ball, dummy a pass etc. Every player made the correct decision in a flash, all the time running at opponents at speed. Result- a try in the corner that won them the game. If any one of those players had got it wrong the Kiwi cover tacklers would have nailed them.

Our inablilty to come from behind (ooh'er) has been dreadful this season, off the top of my head I can think of Hull away, Cardiff at home and Huddersfield away where we scored after being behind and getting something from the game. We've managed to claw back draws but struggled to turn losing positions into winning ones.

Graham did well overall and showed good hold up play, linked well and had two decent opportunities. I think he (and we) would have benefited more from Gomez playing more centrally.

I would fully agree with that. I thought we didn't link up with him as quickly as we might have done last night. I thought that at Middlesbrough our midfield got in and around him much quicker than last night and for me that was a major factor in the difference between the two performances.

I was a fan of Bowyer - who didn't receive the plaudits he deserved from some - but it was time to move on. I can recall quite a few matches under Bowyer where they just seemed to give up - so to level this at PL is a little unfair - though I will agree that (until recently) we had gone backwards massively. To say everything went our way against Fulham - is like saying everything went against us against Derby - the championship is full of average teams where small margins (like the rub of the green) influence matches hugely. Even against West Ham - we had a good chance at 2-1 down to score - score it, Taylor wouldn't have been sent off, and it could have been a different match (though still likely we would have been beaten)

PL's tactics rely on having an extremely fit and well drilled squad - with a high pressure pressing game you have to do it as a team, and this (in combination with fitness issues) is why I think it is taking some time for his methods to take shape. But IMO we are slowly starting to see the benefits from his approach - a bit like a low budget transformation that Liverpool are going through under Klopp.

My biggest concern at the moment is that Marshall is slowly making himself a certainty for player of the year - and we know what happens to them.

Could not agree more.. same with Merces comments, we need time and PL got unlucky with the delays in the Rhodes move (I still think that was done on purpose by 'boro given they where facing us twice in the two weeks after).

My only problem with PL at the moment is not his team selection but sticking to a high pressure setup at this stage in the league, I fear we will struggle as it is to early for players like Watt to shine in such a system and 10 games in 32 days is hardcore even with a percentage game (BFS style defend and punt).

We were listening to that on the way home - it was the best laugh of the night. I assume not having the right weight of pass is the technical term for not being able to pass from A to B.

Funny. You would NEVER have laughed at Gaz.

Archived