BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Derby County (Away) - 24Th February 2016 - 7.45 Ko

20 points and 14 places separate the two teams as they go head to head on Wednesday night.

Derby ended an eight game winless run at the weekend away at Brentford, that saw their new coach's first win in charge.

We on the other hand.....oh yes, rested the poor souls paid a fortune to....oh yes, play football and got what we deserved.

I trust PL will bring back his first team, whatever that may be, and rest some of the second stringers. Still, we need a Fulham type performance rather than a Hull type to at least compete.

Games are coming thick and fast, and Derby have quality - would it be better to concentrate on Saturday's game at home to a fellow struggler, than throw everything at this game?

Whatever, we need a morale boosting performance after the mauling yesterday. A good run of games is needed to lift us into mid-table and prepare us for March 5th. The thought of a thrashing there is beyond comprehension. PL needs to show us what he has got now, and not hide behind red cards. It's his team now - we need some fighting spirit, surely?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to be going and trying to win it's as simple as that. It's becoming too easy again to keep saying oh we lost because they're a better team. That's just the mentality PL said he wouldn't stand for when he came in and we also now have two Prem players on loan in attacking positions.

Hopefully a reaction after Sunday here.

Derby 1 Rovers 1 (Gomez)

Expecting to lose this but you never know. It does look a bit nippy in Derby not sure if we will see the first team if it get below 5c, hair gel could freeze, may not be able to de-ice the car etc...as you say poor souls.

Lambert could prove us all wrong with a resounding win let's hope so. It is on TV? I can't be bothered going.

Derby's recent run of form at home:

Lost 1-0 to MK Dons

Drew 0-0 with Preston

Lost 3-1 to Man Utd

Lost 3-0 to Birmingham

Drew 1-1 with Reading

Last home win was on Boxing Day.

They can't even say they've been playing good sides at home. MK Dons are 4th bottom, Reading are shocking away from home, Preston mid-table at best.

We should be going and getting at least a point.

Whenever I see Derby at home they seem to struggle with weight of expectation on them. People go on about crowds or the lack of them but Derbys big gates often seem to put extra pressure on them, I think that happened last season and was a part of why they blew it.

Will we take advantage of that or will we yet again but just the right team at the right time to give them an easy night ?

Lambert needs to slam home that half-arsed performances will not be tolerated. Henley and Akpan, as starters, shouldn't be near the team following yesterday's 'efforts':

Steele

Marshall Duffy Hanley Spurr

Evans

Lenihan Gomez

Bennett

Watt Graham

The above team highlights to me that GK and LB are two glaringly weak positions in our squad right now.

As Toppers says, anything less than a point would be disappointing given PL saved a few for this match.

Derby been wobbling recently but seem to be good for late late shows. They are overdue a home win so I am not expecting anything.

They were losing 1-0 at Brentford on Saturday until nearly the 80th minute but ran out 3-1 winners.

Will be a test for our new fitness levels.

Even bigger test for our bounce back capabilities.

Here's hoping Sunday's non-tackling generosity in defence doesn't spill over to Wednesday or we will be in for another 5-1 hammering.

Lambert needs to slam home that half-arsed performances will not be tolerated. Henley and Akpan, as starters, shouldn't be near the team following yesterday's 'efforts':

Steele

Marshall Duffy Hanley Spurr

Evans

Lenihan Gomez

Bennett

Watt Graham

The above team highlights to me that GK and LB are two glaringly weak positions in our squad right now.

As Toppers says, anything less than a point would be disappointing given PL saved a few for this match.

Put perfectly. We need a performance after Sunday.

Can't see past a loss.

A point would be a huge result but can't see it.

Why?

You only have to look at the inconsistent results and performances of the last 4 games to see that we are capable of winning at Pride park.

The problem is we are also capable of not turning up, so I agree that a point will be well recieved.

It will be interesting to see the team sheet at least. I'll be slightly worried if many of the "fit" and better players are left out again!

We need our captain back also. I said it a couple of years ago, I see him developing into a prem level centre back (still hopeful that will be at Ewood) and I don't think he is far away - this highlighted by the difference he brought being off/on/off in our last three.

Just think, many here would've driven him t'ut turf last year! Even acknowledging his poor form last season, those statements look foolish now. He's is essentially our prize asset imo.

Bet the people saying they would be "happy with a point" won't be saying that on March 5th. So they shouldn't be saying it for this game either. Basic principles (if not deeper) are the same its away from home against a promotion chasing side.

Its Derby County not Barcelona a win would be perfectly realistic. Especially given what this league is like.

• Backroom

Expecting:

Steele

Marshall Hanley Ward Spurr

Evans

Lenihan Grimes

Gomez

Graham Brown

I think he'll try Watt alongside Graham rather than Brown. Or at least, I'd be very interested in seeing them pair up.

Could be like 2 Dickovs going off their performances thus far.

My team would be:-

Steele; Marshall, Duffy, Hanley, Spurr; Evans, Lenihan, Gomez, Bennett; Watt, Graham

Subs:- Raya, Grimes, Ward, Conway, Akpan; Brown, Jackson.

Going for 2 nil win.

Triumph for hope over experience.

I'll go for 2-0 Derby - a triumph for experience over hope.

Archived